VETS... its that time of year again

My father was an aircraft mechanic in the Army Air Corps (today's Air Force) stationed in New Guinea during WWII. Three of his brothers were serving in different capacities during the war as well. Uncle Jim was a career pilot in the Army. Uncle Paul was a Marine who landed at Normandy. Uncle Joe stayed state side (got in the game towards the tail end of the war as he was younger). My grandfather (their father) served during WWI. They're all gone now but never forgotten. I served from '86 - '92 in the Navy as a Gunners Mate - aka explosives handler for the most part. Happy Veterans Day to all.

Thanks to all that served . In my family , dad & uncles , 2 older brothers ( lifers in USMC ) & my 2 sons. Here are a couple of pics of my dad & his brothers . WWII .
My dad served in the Marines stationed in the Pacific . He was assigned to be a flamethrower man and at 5' 6" - 150 lbs he had to carry an 80lb weapon on the battlefield . He told us the story of not being able to climb up the sandy beach embankment to engage a pillbox . Two fellow Marines grabbed him and threw him up top allowing him to crawl close enough to the target , empty his tanks , then lose the tanks and get back to " safety ". Flamethrower men had a life expectancy of 5 minutes on the battlefield due to being a prime target .
My dad was a badass ........ He pasted away in 2021 at the age of 94 ....... and I miss him everyday .

Attachments

• IMG_20141115_120540_906_compress95.jpg
    IMG_20141115_120540_906_compress95.jpg
    918.1 KB · Views: 51
My dad served in the Marines stationed in the Pacific . He was assigned to be a flamethrower man and at 5' 6" - 150 lbs he had to carry an 80lb weapon on the battlefield . He told us the story of not being able to climb up the sandy beach embankment to engage a pillbox . Two fellow Marines grabbed him and threw him up top allowing him to crawl close enough to the target , empty his tanks , then lose the tanks and get back to " safety ". Flamethrower men had a life expectancy of 5 minutes on the battlefield due to being a prime target .
My dad was a badass ........ He pasted away in 2021 at the age of 94 ....... and I miss him everyday .

Dad said they always gave the smallest guy the bar.
I wonder how today's enlisted troops feel about going to war for the regime we've had the last couple of years.
My neighbor is still in the reserves and the guys aren't to thrilled about what's going on but are still doing their
jobs admirably. But what's the breakaway point.
P.S. You are going to go to Tony Costanza for his world famous award winning slim sticks right?

I wonder how today's enlisted troops feel about going to war for the regime we've had the last couple of years.
My neighbor is still in the reserves and the guys aren't to thrilled about what's going on but are still doing their
jobs admirably. But what's the breakaway point.
P.S. You are going to go to Tony Costanza for his world famous award winning slim sticks right?
Costanza's stuff was expensive years ago , I can't imagine how much a pound he's charging now !! I drive by there every time I head into Webster .

My dad (Army) was in Europe (Italy mainly) during WWII. The BAR was his weapon. He said the same thing about the smallest guy being the smallest target, so they gave it to him.

The cool thing was back in the 80's, I went to Italy twice on Uncle Sam's dime. I walked down some of the same streets my dad did 40+ years earlier.

Costanza's stuff was expensive years ago , I can't imagine how much a pound he's charging now !! I drive by there every time I head into Webster .

Yeah, been a while since I got them. Think it was about 9 years ago, had 20# done because some friends were addicted to them too.
Of course they paid being $12 a pound even back then with supplying your own venison.
Remember a while back someone stole the deer statue out front? :ROFLMAO:

My dad (Army) was in Europe (Italy mainly) during WWII. The BAR was his weapon. He said the same thing about the smallest guy being the smallest target, so they gave it to him.

The cool thing was back in the 80's, I went to Italy twice on Uncle Sam's dime. I walked down some of the same streets my dad did 40+ years earlier.

I still have a picture of Dad's unit marching at Ft. Dix after finishing basic. They're all carrying old Springfields (the 1903s, not the trapdoors, lol) but off to the back someone has a double barrel scatter gun slung on his shoulder.
Then another of my Grandpa's unit in 1917 before they shipped off to France. Thing is like 2' long and 8" high, need to dedicate a whole wall to it. Took some time but I found him kind of hiding in the back row. He never talked much about it other than that he lost a nice gold watch my Grandma got him for their wedding in a card game. I don't know how she found out about it since he told her he had lost it. Wasn't really lying right?

59 yrs this past month here.
USAF 67th RECON, 6594th "Test" Squadron.
The guys that brought you the Cuban missile deal in stunning black and white!👀
Thanks to all that served!

Thank You to all who served . Both my older brothers retired from the Marines after 20+ years . Both were in at the end of Vietnam , one was a Avionics Tech , and the other was a US Embassy guard stationed in Moscow then Leningrad .
My two sons both were in the Army also
This is a picture of my Dad & his brothers back in the day . Pa is second from the left .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231108-135940_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231108-135940_Gallery.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 17
Thanks to all that provided this freedom that I enjoy every day. Shame on all of those that don't wear a poppy

My parents, Mom was an Army nurse Captain, my Dad was a retired Army MP Major. Both served in the European and Pacific Theaters. My Dad also was part of the Manhattan Project and the nuclear bomb tests at Enewetak. My Mom's was on the beach 3 days after D-Day. Remarkable people that were just regular 1st gen Italian citizens. Dad grew up in Brick Bottom Somerville, Ma. His Dad a foundry worker. Mom was from a tiny coal town in Giatto, WV, literally a 2 street town. Her Dad was a coal miner. Both were poor but they were sent to school. Both graduated hs. My Dad eventually went to Ma National Guard and Mom went to nursing school in Tenn. When WWII broke out my Mom joined the Army. My Dad was called up the Army. Both are sorely missed.
1699615986727.png

Ya know, Ray was kind of a douche bag in ways but I miss sparring with him.

Thanks to all the DD214 alumni here.
My Dad was a Korean war vet. He and I both wore the ARMY uniform. Later on in life, this was one our greatest bonds.
I miss my Old Man. Raising a glass to him and all those who have and still are serving this great nation.

Mike Barnard