Venting Gas Tank

stock cam or as others have said above,but you will need to stay in that range.i used 100lb valve springs with a stock cam and 49 and it ran 10s.
Ok wild one here.... 10s on a TA49? How many runs? Car still around?

Ok wild one here.... 10s on a TA49? How many runs? Car still around?
No haven't run that combo in a long long time,alot of passes though it was the stock og motor in the car,it ran great,6.6 in the 1/8 with a 1.4 60ft,10.6@125mph.

Damn Mr.Spool you've put the bar high on a TA49, I'll be happy with that and my new combo is a bit over kill let's say.

I've got a TA49 with the GN1 210/215 = .550 lift and 112 lobe separation with 1.55 Scorpions. I'm sure it'll be killer like the FTS 210/215 cam.

Last edited:
Damn Mr.Spool you've put the bar high on a TA49, I'll be happy with that and my new combo is a bit over kill let's say.

I've got a TA49 with the GN1 210/215 = .550 lift and 112 lobe separation with 1.55 Scorpions. I'm sure it'll be killer like the FTS 210/215 cam.
Thanks,it was hard especially around 3732lbs to 3800,if I knew what I know not I would have lighten up the car more.she had the whip for sure lol,looking back at it I have to say it was cool,drive 2 hrs to the track run 10s and drive home with a stereo on pump gas 93 and meth on drag radials and drive home.

No haven't run that combo in a long long time,alot of passes though it was the stock og motor in the car,it ran great,6.6 in the 1/8 with a 1.4 60ft,10.6@125mph.
1.4 short time. That's someone who knows IC, frame geometry, had the correct TC, and how to tune for launch. Large or small Precision exhaust housing? I'm betting you're gonna say small. Just curious.

Large or small Precision exhaust housing? I'm betting you're gonna say small. Just curious.
tried them all,..85 pte was the slowest,the fastest passes were done on a garret.63,the pte .63 was right there with mph as well but not as quick.this was right off the footbrake,and we didnt have the teck like today where you can adjust the rpm /boost leave so well,heck didnt have ptc converters back then either,i remember getting a tt chip 5.6 and thought it was cool i can adjust this thing right here at the track or street without my chip bag lol.

tried them all,..85 pte was the slowest,the fastest passes were done on a garret.63,the pte .63 was right there with mph as well but not as quick.this was right off the footbrake,and we didnt have the teck like today where you can adjust the rpm /boost leave so well,heck didnt have ptc converters back then either,i remember getting a tt chip 5.6 and thought it was cool i can adjust this thing right here at the track or street without my chip bag lol.
In your opinion, when does the 49 run out of breath? I know heads, IC etc will make a difference. In GENERAL, when is it all in?

Speaking of IC and frame geometry, Steve Wood was suppose to send me a book written by I BELIEVE a racer about it. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the book or the author. I'd like to order it. Never to old to learn. TIA

P.S. My way was 90/10's up front and single adustable QA1's out back. I'd dial them up to get the desired launch at a given RPM. 1.5's was easy...but what you're doing took it to a level that's beyond my IQ. I tip my hat to you. :)

I'd wait till there was a couple cars in front of me...and then I'd take a look at the temp/humidity and compare it to the previous run to keep the car on the ET I had on the windshield...and then make my high gear fuel adjustment to speed/slow the car up. I'm lightning fast at it. I used the foot throttle as it was easier to have the laptop sideways on the passenger seat to hit record. If anyone thinks it's easy to keep these cars running within thousands or hundredths of a second from run to run, be my guest and have a go at it. :) Use to piss off the big tire cars with big cams and open exhaust...putting them on the trailer by a V6 on a 9 inch slick through the exhaust. I was hated so much in Sportsman Class that I had to park with the Superpro guys. They had all the expensive weather equipment and would welcome me into their trailers between rounds so I could get all the weather info to make my fueling adjustment for each round. They loved seeing the little V6 go 'rounds.' :)

Speaking of IC and frame geometry, Steve Wood was suppose to send me a book written by I BELIEVE a racer about it. You wouldn't happen to know the name of the book or the author. I'd like to order it. Never to old to learn. TIA

P.S. My way was 90/10's up front and single adustable QA1's out back. I'd dial them up to get the desired launch at a given RPM. 1.5's was easy...but what you're doing took it to a level that's beyond my IQ. I tip my hat to you. :)
I do alot of testing and have alot of good guys around me to throw the theories out there,I did happen to set the car up on my own with the suspension that yielded huge gains and it's not in the books.i just followed the numbers,what went faster I went with,slot of rd

I will bet with the ta 49 he will NOT run 10.60, just because Mr Spool does it doesn't mean he can do the same.

I will bet with the ta 49 he will NOT run 10.60, just because Mr Spool does it doesn't mean he can do the same.
dunno,there have been a few of us that have run 10s,my friend john went 10.7@125mph with a 44 with a 1.41 60ft.mine was on pump gas alky at the time i ran it,he was on c116 and a little lighter.we hammer the 60/330 on our cars the back of the track is what it is,mine did 25mph out the door but thats usually on the high end.inmo i believe someone could go faster now perhaps with the new teck and a lighter car,if i put a stock motor in my nt car with a 49 and ran it on a mt pro with the new converters not a doubt i would go better than 10.6 with it,others could do the same.

Most guys with 49 turbo's are generally full weight cars and 99% of the time spent on the street. At 30 psi plus the turbo is not efficient.

Most guys with 49 turbo's are generally full weight cars and 99% of the time spent on the street. At 30 psi plus the turbo is not efficient.
49 turbo would rarely make 30psi on mine.other cars i have seen and done they could do 30.some dont need 30 if seen them go fast at 26psi

Mr Spool who do you know with a stock motor, FULL WEIGHT CAR with a ta 49 running 10.6 @ 126. Most stock buicks ran 14.0 to 13.80 with some bolt on's they run 11's with a ta49, 10.60 is wishful thinking. There is always the exception but let's get real.

Mr Spool who do you know with a stock motor, FULL WEIGHT CAR with a ta 49 running 10.6 @ 126. Most stock buicks ran 14.0 to 13.80 with some bolt on's they run 11's with a ta49, 10.60 is wishful thinking. There is always the exception but let's get real.
Plently with stock motors have run well into the 11s and some into the 10s.Ive been real with everybody here,Al tinman went 10.8 on a 49 unopened,my friend fred unopened went 10.9 all steel.mine had a stock motor with a stock cam mild port job on the head so I'm not unopened but pretty dam close,would have taken a little more boost
but I did run 3732 lbs/3800 lbs heavier than most.bob Morgan ran 11.0 123 unopened all steel full weight 49 on pump gas alky.my 10.6 has a strong slip from the 60ft out but I do believe the 49 can go faster in a lighter car with today's teck.i dont believe powewise any more can be made but like I said with today's teck someone could go faster inmo.

Fyi there are stock motors going 10.2 right now with new teck and full weight.