Velcro melting from scanmaster

m3x1c0

Bad luck Buick
Is there a stronger alternative to Velcro that wouldnt be permanent for mounting the scanmaster inside? All my velcro is leaving a gooey mess everywhere!

There's an "industrial" version... Is that what you have?
I have the same issues w/ the radar det, and the trlr brake cont.

There's an "industrial" version... Is that what you have?
I have the same issues w/ the radar det, and the trlr brake cont.
Yep. Stuff is expensive too. I'm thinking about using command strips but don't know if they will mess up the dash. Don't want to drill any holes for a bracket and like having it at eye level

The reason the velcro fails is because the vapors from the plastic on the dash cause the adhesive to disintegrate. Something to do with polyvinyl Chloride, and the standard adhesive used on these products is vulnerable.

You might find some industrial double-faced tape that will work, but it may affect the dash plastic. Might as well drill the hole and be done with it.

where is it mounted?

I have some velcro with better adhesive that works better than the generic stuff.

Bob

where is it mounted?

I have some velcro with better adhesive that works better than the generic stuff.

Bob
On the dash above the steering wheel. Pretty typical location. Not sure how most people keep there's up there. It's hot but not desert hot here in VA.

Have you thought about a Scanmaster mount on the steering column?

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/Bu...UNTING+BRACKET+for+Steering+Column+#7496.html

I got one for my car and like it. Still visible in my eyeline, but does not block my other instruments. I painted mine grey and it blends right in.

scanmaster mount.jpg

Have you thought about a Scanmaster mount on the steering column?

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/Buick/Regal T-Type/product/44075/SCANMASTER+MOUNTING+BRACKET+for+Steering+Column+#7496.html

I got one for my car and like it. Still visible in my eyeline, but does not block my other instruments. I painted mine grey and it blends right in.

View attachment 261089
Still attached using velcro. Will still likely melt unless the adhesive is better. Plus its just so much easier to monitor with your peripheral vision when its up on the dash.

Last edited:
I use a carpeted dash cover and simply slide the scan master under it. It holds the scanner in place ( as the wire is wedged in the seams of the dash) and it provides some cover from the glare. AND hides the scanner to a certain degree while protecting the delicate dash top plate all at the same time. No Velcro or adhesives go on the dash!