VDO oil pressure gauge install

Steve C

I have searched and searched for a good wiring instruction for this gauge install with no luck. i can understand the simple gauge light. I have a sending unit with one connection and im guessing this goes to the guage on the "S" terminal. Where do the "+" and "-" terminals get wired too? Do i even need them? Do i need to keep the original sending unit in the motor and install a "T" for the dummy light? Im not impressed with the so called "everything you need" when i ordered the gauge from a highly recommended company.

Thanks in advance to a noobie GN member.

basic knowledge is required but seems a gauge install is a little above your skill level so be gentle on the vendor
S to sender , + is 12v switched , - is ground
if you bought new theres got to be instructions with it , im sure its in the diagram in the instructions but again probably over your skill set

you dont need to have the oil idiot lamp sender (also is a fuel pump secondary supply) but maybe you should keep it

i'd take odds that you dont get the lamp install correct

Last edited:
Well thanks for the encouragment, the lamp is correct on my boost gauge so ill take that bet.

Pacecarta...play nice! A "t" would be a good idea so both the idiot light and gauge function. The factory wiring can also power the fuel pump if the fp relay on the passenger side fender should fail.

Well thank you Rick. Installed a T and wired all up. Works great. No thanks to pace that's for sure. Really didn't expect requests for help to be answered like he did from a staff member that's for sure

Well thank you Rick. Installed a T and wired all up. Works great. No thanks to pace that's for sure. Really didn't expect requests for help to be answered like he did from a staff member that's for sure

I’m about to install the VDO oil pressure gauge myself, do you recall the size of the T you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a pic
IMG_20170225_160037314.jpg