Valvr cover clearance

Spawn1987

Hey all, it's been awhile since I've posted, but have an issue I was wondering if anyone else has encountered. I've recently had the engine in my 87 GN rebuilt. Original block, champion iron heads, with TA calve covers, the ones with the turbo 6 logo and "Buick" on the covers. It has stock mounts, with an rjc torque brace, and with the heat shield by the a/c box removed, it still is half an inch from clearing to line up up the cover bolts on the head. Anyone else come across this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Heres a picture.

Attachments

• 20190126_122947.jpg
    20190126_122947.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 155
Which TA valve covers do you have?

There are 2 versions of TA valve covers, a tall valve cover, and a low profile one.

The tall ones are a PIA one the pass side, and the low profile cover is made for better access especially to the rear, lower bolt.

You can view both of them on their web site.

I got them from full throttle, and I'm pretty sure they're the tall ones. I have the harland sharp rockers and they have plenty of night clearance. Will the low pros clear the roller rockers?

I have very little clearance because of the poly motor mounts so I have to remove the passenger mount to remove the passenger side valve cover. I’m not using the valve covers you are but have the same issue with the GN logo taller valve covers to clear my roller rockers. HTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know when I replaced my body bushings, some of them were in bad shape. Some were really flattened out.

My bushing looked good,but I just replaced them because, and got a full 1/2 in +.

If the upper body bushings are crushed and you're running the factory motor mounts, here are your options. In order to install the tall black Buick with the power six TA covers. From easiest to extreme, these are:

1. Use a marker to mark the spot where the heater box is hitting and carefully cut a notch in it, so the cover will clear.
2. Replace all upper body bushings. That should bring the body back to spec height enough to install the covers.
3. Completely eliminate the AC and heater box and install a heater box block off plate over the firewall hole.

I will be in this same situation soon, as I have the same covers to install on mine when I do the roller rockers and roller cam upgrade. Option 1 & 2 are all I have as I refuse to remove the AC / heater box.
Let us know what you come up with.

-Patrick-

You don't have to remove the actual heater box, it's the heat ''shield'' (that's actually a heat absorber) that takes up all the space.

That is true, I guess I should have clarified that in my other post. I know I threw that dang heat shield as far as I could when I removed it on my gray car. :ROFLMAO:
Spawn1987 did mention that he removed the heat shield. That's why I forgot to mention removing that first.
It leads me to believe the upper body bushings might be squished a tad, closing up the gap.

Well, I've replaced the body bushings, and motor mounts, and still no clearance. I'm debating on trying to slide the whole body over a quarter inch to see if I can get the clearance.

Take measurements of the front tire sidewall in relation to the body/fender trim to see how much the body might be shifted on the frame. Not an easy task, but it would be a good tell to find out how much the body might be shifted to one side or the other. Assuming same size and make front tires and same pressures. The frame could be slightly tweaked causing the interference. Ever been in a fender bender by your or previous owner/owners? Not uncommon. I definitely feel your frustration with this one. I've even know some to say screw it and ditch the factory heater box and install a smaller in-car heater / ac combo for more under hood clearance. To me, that's way too extreme, unless racecar is the ultimate goal.

Go with the other style valve covers. The corners are rounded and angled back some. Much easier to install.

Ordered some today. It has been in a slight fender bender at some point from previous owner from what I can tell, but no frame damage.

Back to square one. Low profile TA's, new motor mounts, and still won't clear passenger side without forcing it. I've got other issues looks like.

I have heard of this from others and my luck is never good so I went with the RJC valve cover spacers and stock covers. It just works. But I still like the look at the old school T/A covers. :cool: