Valve train tools

Royal-T-Ltd

I want to be able to measure and test valve springs/components but wonder if there are any cost effective tools available for someone who isn’t doing it for a living? For someone who just wants to work on his own stuff. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are trying to measure seat and open pressures or more than that?

"cost effective" is a loaded term - everyone's opinion will vary...

benchtop or vice mounted valve spring testers range from under $100 to more that $1000.

need a valve spring micrometer as well - to check/confirm installed height and need for shims. most backyard mechanics don't even bother with these steps and just take parts out of the box and install. there's a difference between backyard mechanic and machinist. a machinist won't waste his breath talking with someone who installs parts out of the box without verifying them first.

here's summit's listing...

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/valve-spring-testers?sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending&keyword=valve spring tester&kr=valve spring tester

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=valve spring micrometer

and there are tools for measuring pushrods as well.

maybe this helps?

Are trying to measure seat and open pressures or more than that?
Seat, Open Pressure, Installed Height... Don't want to spend $500-1000.... but $200-350 wouldn't be bad.... i just don't want to be ignorant and i love to learn and do things right. I don't want to be the guy that installs stuff out of the box and have no clue whats going on or the real specs.

also if anyone has recommendations i would appreciate any lead.

Thanks Jerryl and Anthony.

-aaron

Basically you need a height mic. That's if you're a person or a shop. Same tool.

For testing poundage, you don't want a full sized spring machine. There's two options. You can get one of the little scales that you squish in a vice or a HF arbor press.

-or- You can measure your installed height, take the springs to a shop and ask them to tell you the poundage on the seat height, and .500 lift. That shouldn't cost much and you'll have all the date you need to compute poundages and know your springs exact spring rate.

Or . . .
You order springs that are already measured from Bison. Get a installed height micrometer and washers, and install the springs to the number listed on each. That is the best and cheapest option. It will be right and no wondering what the pressure is.

Or . . .
You order springs that are already measured from Bison. Get a installed height micrometer and washers, and install the springs to the number listed on each. That is the best and cheapest option. It will be right and no wondering what the pressure is.
That's what I did. I don't have access to spring testers anymore.

Or . . .
cool! didn't even know that was an option :D