Valve Stem Locks And Spring Pressure

hawkfan

I'm getting the parts together to replace my valve springs and had a question about the valve locks. My new springs will require -0.050 locks and was wondering whether to get 7 or 10 degree locks. Also does anyone have any recommended manufacturers for valve locks? The vendor who I bought the springs from is supplying them with height measurements for 85 and 90lbs. I still have a stock cam but am using VR1 oil and zddp additive. Does 90lbs allow plenty of margin, or should I play it safe and shim the springs for 85lbs? These are the parts I already have or are on their way:

Valve Springs
Shims
Valve Spring Micrometer
Cotton's Valve Spring Compressor

I'm assuming the spring vendor doesn't supply the retainers or locks, or maybe are too expensive. But I would go to comp cams or possibly ta performance may supply them. You shouldn't have any problems w/90#, as many are using the 105# lt-1 springs. With 90#s 7 or 10 degree will be personal preference and I would opt for the 10.

I'm getting the parts together to replace my valve springs and had a question about the valve locks. My new springs will require -0.050 locks and was wondering whether to get 7 or 10 degree locks. Also does anyone have any recommended manufacturers for valve locks? The vendor who I bought the springs from is supplying them with height measurements for 85 and 90lbs. I still have a stock cam but am using VR1 oil and zddp additive. Does 90lbs allow plenty of margin, or should I play it safe and shim the springs for 85lbs? These are the parts I already have or are on their way:

Valve Springs
Shims
Valve Spring Micrometer
Cotton's Valve Spring Compressor

For a 90# spring going to 10* locks isn't required, but it won't hurt either. The lock angle and the retainer taper angles need to match, so may need new retainers for the 10* locks. I don't know which angle the stock Buick retainers use, although if I had to guess I'd say stock are 7* locks and retainers.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks. I'm pretty sure stock is 7* after doing some searching. I'll probably just get some 7* locks so that I can keep my stock retainers.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure stock is 7* after doing some searching. I'll probably just get some 7* locks so that I can keep my stock retainers.

Stock should be 7 degree locks, and like you said, it will let you reuse the retainers. When I swapped out the factory springs on my stock heads up a couple of years ago with comp 980 springs the seat pressure was 90# and after 20k miles on those springs I didn't notice anything abnormal on the factory cam that had racked up almost 80k total.