Valve Body/ Governor combo.

RED LS1

I'm dealing with some shift timing problems with my 200R4. I'm wondering if there's a go to vendor with a turn key kit. I've tried lightening the governor and making multiple changes to the TV cable. This is a Trans built years back with all the general modifications. I really don't remember the details but it's a BRF V/B and Governor with a CK shift kit and plate. The car will shift at 5k no matter what I do. I'd like to see around 5500-5600. I'm in the Trans business but we don't mess with these.

are you sure it is a brfvb and the correct governor? I do know mixing things up and it gets real hard to fool with. I have an AA vb/gov combo in mine . The problem with the brf is the weights are already so light it is hard to "lighten" them more. I know others have had luck with other vb and governor combos. Trial and error and several fluid baths usually can get it where you want it. I use a .500 boost, .283 rev boost and the 700 spring (pink or blue I think they both work) .also some Jake s mods to the accumulator and one other valve in the vb. He posted these mods yrs back and they sure work for me.

Yeah, it's a BRF. You're right, the weight is light. I was just surprised to see it didn't change at all. I messed with the cable a bunch and no luck. I'm going to shim the TV limit spring to try and provoke a shift change. If I have no luck I guess I have start locating some different V/B and Gov core parts.

Yeah, it's a BRF. You're right, the weight is light. I was just surprised to see it didn't change at all. I messed with the cable a bunch and no luck. I'm going to shim the TV limit spring to try and provoke a shift change. If I have no luck I guess I have start locating some different V/B and Gov core parts.
How much weight did you remove off the small weight 14.7-14.9 is OEM and should shift about 4800-5200. The TV cable is not going to raise the WOT shift. If the engine makes good power over stock a lot of times it will raise the shift point on it's own.

Pull the governor out and get the weight then call your tranny guy and ask him how much weight you should remove.

The weight was right at high 14/low 15. It also has a pinned spring I did years back. I removed weight to around 12g's. Steve, I mentioned the TV cable thinking that maybe it wasn't fully stretching the cable and the Governor wasn't coming into play for WOT.

The weight was right at high 14/low 15. It also has a pinned spring I did years back. I removed weight to around 12g's. Steve, I mentioned the TV cable thinking that maybe it wasn't fully stretching the cable and the Governor wasn't coming into play for WOT.

.5 of a gram should make difference, something is not right. I would think if you took off 3 grams it would never shift at WOT. If you are questioning TV put a pressure guage on it and see what it does at WOT and everywhere else.

You could imagine my surprise when it shifted at 5000. That scale only shows whole numbers and it’s a little closer to 2 grams as it was barely tipping to 15 from 14. But solid at 12 no where near 11.

From what I read and saw with others experiences 1g = aprx 200-300rpm. That’s why I went strong at 2+ to make sure it went 5500-5600 and not less

The weight needs to come off the edge as much as possible.

From where the weight came off it probably didn't do a thing. Has to come off of the side by the screw.

I don't doubt that taking from the screw end is an effective way to do this. I chose this way after reading this thread.

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/shift-points.265366/

Now I get that coming up short on the desired RPM gain was possible, I am still surprised to see it did nothing at all. If it wasn't so cold out and I ha a garage to do this work in I could be changing other variables. I'll just have to wait to get this one figured out.

EDIT: Now that I am comparing what was done in that post to mine I can see there was more focus on the spring side of the weight than I did. Maybe I can get some weight out of the end of mine and try again.

See the pics. The unmodded one came from grandmas car with 3500ish shift points. The difference in material is on the outermost edge. Kind of like balancing, the farther out it is the greater affect it has.

Attachments

• 20190116_105606.jpg
    20190116_105606.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • 20190116_105551.jpg
    20190116_105551.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190116_105547.jpg
    20190116_105547.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 82
Maybe i'll drop it again, put two nice size holes next to the screw and shave off the upper area. Not too bad of a job really.

If you shim the TV limit the part throttle shifts go up too.
are you just putting a washer in to shim it? How thick? Where in the stack might one put it? I'd like to try this to try to get the shift business to calm down a bit. It isn't busy all the time but there is a mph it does it.

I put it the valve then the spring. Didn't change the shift business though, I just wanted to get my shift points to 6400ish.
PT shift were pretty high so I tried increasing the spring pressure on the MTV up & down lowered the PT shifts a bit but still have the 2-3 shuffle sometimes.

thanks, I will. I think I have a problem with the Speedo cable as watching the scanmaster the mph around and i think it causes the converter to lock and unlock.