Vacuum Line Help

dmclean

I have some questions that I hope someone out there can answer. The vacuum line to the canister (under the air filter) is in the wrong place at the firewall (I think). I made a diagram below and it is red.

Should I remove it from the T in my diagram and re-connect it to the proper metal pipe? If so, what would then connect to the T?

The other question involves the two hard lines on the passenger side. One goes from the interior to the heater control valve which is OK but the other one comes from the passenger side fender and I don't know where it goes. Any help.

It's a terrible thing to be a noobie but I sure am learning from you guys...

My Vacuum Lines.PNG

Thanks Dynoman. That last post was from my phone and Fat Finger Syndrome happened.

The gntype diagram is the one that raised my questions. If I connect the canister line to the vacuum block pipe as the diagram shows, then I don't know what gets connected to the funnel shaped T (I assume it's a check valve) by the firewall. I could probably block it off but I would like to know what it was, or should be, connected to.

I also think I found where the line from the inner fender on the passenger side gets connected to. I hadn't installed the 2 vacuum pipes to the vacuum block, one for the PCV valve and it looks like the line gets connected to the 2nd pipe. Jumped the gun on that one.

At any rate, thanks for the help. More puzzles to solve.

the 1/4" steel line behind alternator that points toward the fender is for the emission canister and gets a check valve in line

the red you have is supposed to go to the Y by the cruise control ( if you have cruise if not the y has a cap on one leg) and then to the vacuum reservoir ball under the driver fender (its directly under the emission canister)

that funnel shaped valve is a check and its for the HVAC system and ties to the vac reservoir and the hvac control on the dash to operate the vent and defrost doors and to open the heater valve thats in the coolant line by the back of the passenger valve cover

fyi theres a vacuum diagram on the emission label thats on the a/c box

the 1/4" steel line behind alternator that points toward the fender is for the emission canister and gets a check valve in line

the red you have is supposed to go to the Y by the cruise control ( if you have cruise if not the y has a cap on one leg) and then to the vacuum reservoir ball under the driver fender (its directly under the emission canister)
Thanks pacecarta. You pointed out something I missed. The red line in my diagram goes to the vacuum reservoir ball that I thought was the canister. I don't have cruise control. The red line in my diagram is routed along the driver fender and along the firewall to the funnel shaped device with a T on it. So it is connected correctly. Now I just have to look for the emissions canister and find the line. It's starting to make sense now.

On another note, the gntype vacuum diagram shows the vacuum block pipe beside the one for the PCV is for the boost gauge sensor but the sensor location diagram on the gntype site doesn't show one. Am I correct to assume it's on the passenger side fender?

Doug

map sensor (for analog dash boost gauge) is the first sensor on the passenger fender and is connected with a plastic vac line

map sensor (for analog dash boost gauge) is the first sensor on the passenger fender and is connected with a plastic vac line
I learned 3 things today. Where the vacuum reservoir ball and the emissions canister were, AND what they look like. I found the canister vacuum line under the AC hoses. I wasn't even looking there. I also now know which sensor is the MAP sensor.

The last engine I worked on had a carburetor, points, condenser, and a distributor. Shows you how much I have to learn. Pretty well all you needed back then was a good ear and a timing light.

Thanks for the help.

Doug