vacuum leak

eric86

I have an idle that goes up and down when the car is cold--I have been told on here that it could be a vacuum leak causing that. Where would I start to look for any leaks as I am clueless where to search. Could it be an easy fix? Any help would be great. Thanks-- Eric

Probably in the chip,a lot of older chips have this issue. I fixed both my cars with modern chips.:wink:

I have an idle that goes up and down when the car is cold--I have been told on here that it could be a vacuum leak causing that. Where would I start to look for any leaks as I am clueless where to search. Could it be an easy fix? Any help would be great. Thanks-- Eric

Have a scanmaster or scantool?

Have a scanmaster--the small 2.1 version I believe--not sure how to read the numbers though--any help would be great--Thanks--Eric

'Hunting' RPM on cold start is normal

A modern chip will probably solve that hunting.

Vacuum leak is another thing. A vacuum leak can cause a high BLM (above 139, 128 is ideal)and sometimes a rough idle.

Find every little black hose under the hood and replace it. That is the best way to stop a vacuum leak, at least the common kind.

You can have a vacuum leak in the vacuum block atopo the doghouse, in the intake seals, the PCV valve, and other spots I can't think of right now ;)

So when you mean a modern chip, you mean the RA 93 octane chip that is in it now can wear out, or get a defect to cause something to run rough like it is? These chips need to be replaced every so often? This is a new one to me, but if it can help solve the problem right off of the bat, I am all ears:) Thanks again--Eric

If it hunts, its not a modern chip. Meaning, it does not have the latest in chip programming code, known only to a few like Eric at turbo tweak, turbo bob via Full Throttle, and a few others on this board. :)

I'd lose the RA chip,it's probably too rich. Turbotweak or extendar are the ones I use.

Thank you all for your help--I will check out the sites and see about updating the chip!--Eric