Vacuum From EGR??

DaveyX87

I was wondering if anyone has tapped into their EGR block-off plate for a vacuum source for the brake booster?

It's a little small. the PCV line isn't that far away if you don't want to put a threaded barbed fitting in the plenum.

I was wondering if anyone has tapped into their EGR block-off plate for a vacuum source for the brake booster?

It's a little small. the PCV line isn't that far away if you don't want to put a threaded barbed fitting in the plenum.

The EGR vacuum lines are too small, I agree.
I suspect drilling and tapping the block off plate itself for a 1/4 NPT thread with a 5/16 hose fitting over the port that goes to the intake area would work. It seems like a good alternative to tapping the plenum.
I think it would make for a stealthy install, especially using a 90* fitting.

EDIT: It has been report the internal passage is too small, even though the opening appears to be large enough.

Please disregard this post.
My apologies.

Last edited:
Here come the dumb question................is the EGR port a source of vacuum ?? (told u it was dumb) If so since some of us block the egr port seems like if vacuum is strong at this point we could re-do all of the vacuum necessary items & hoses ???

EGR port is too small. If you are running open valve cover breathers, then you could do away with your PCV valve and use that port. With open VC breathers, your PCV valve is pointless and has the potential of introducing unmetered air into the intake, meaning that it hasn't gone through the MAF meter.

EGR port is too small. If you are running open valve cover breathers, then you could do away with your PCV valve and use that port. With open VC breathers, your PCV valve is pointless and has the potential of introducing unmetered air into the intake, meaning that it hasn't gone through the MAF meter.

The EGR vacuum lines are too small, I agree.
I suspect drilling and tapping the block off plate itself for a 1/4 NPT thread with a 5/16 hose fitting over the port that goes to the intake area would work. It seems like a good alternative to tapping the plenum.
I think it would make for a stealthy install, especially using a 90* fitting.

It looks like I am mistaken. I thought since the hole where the EGR bolts on is large, the rest of the passage would be adequate.
My apologies.

Last edited:
EDIT: It has been report the internal passage is too small, even though the opening appears to be large enough.

Please disregard this post.
My apologies.

The internal passage is larger than a 3/8's hose, it's plenty big enough. I just wouldn't trust those sketchy plates to handle my braking needs. There's just too much mechanical advantage on the screw head to keep that thing 100% sealed at all times.

IF the rectangle hole was milled round and tapped 1/2NPT, that would be safe and workman like. The top hole is intake manifold, the bottom 3/8ths hole is exhaust ports.

Attachments

• IM002556.jpg
    IM002556.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IM002557.jpg
    IM002557.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IM002558.jpg
    IM002558.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 69