Vacuum conversion - Pros and Cons - your input, please

SinistrV6

Valve Monkey
Vacuum conversion for my street rod? Input please.

Just like the title says; if you've done this conversion are you glad you did? Especially guys who've had it done for a fairly long time.
My reason for asking is my street rod has the master cylinder on the frame under the driver's side floorboard (typical of 30's cars) I have a new master cylinder and plan on buying a dual 7" booster if the vacuum system is recommended.
I don't have a problem with PowerMaster systems but space is extremely limited (vertically from frame to ground) and PM takes up a lot of room. I could mount on the firewall like a modern car but my firewall is smoothed and I really don't like to look at that ugly a** PM system. Brake performance supercedes appearance everytime, though.

ive done this conversion 6 or 8 months ago and ill never swich back. after 2 diffrent powermasters and other replacement parts ill never go back. you could also do a search on this . youll find a lot of people feel the same way.:D

From Precision and Cotton you can hold more boost at the line with the Powermaster unit.

I did it and threw my Powerdesaster system outta my garage - it wasn't even floor worthy.

Vac system is great - i'll never go back.

Go manual, and forgo the nonsense involved with other answers.
Effort is slightly higher, but it ALLOWS works.

Nice knowing that the brakes will allows be working.

Also it is hard to build vaccum when you are in boost. This is when you might need your brakes the most.

I converted to vacuum brakes waaay back in '96 after the Power Master failed. Would that be considered a "fairly long time"? ;)

No regrets whatsoever, and I haven't touched it since! :)

Thanks Geoff87. That's the kind of "long term" test I was hoping to hear about. I've driven enough street and race cars with big cams that don't make much vacuum to know about the downside being no vacuum available when you have to get out of boost quickly. Have any of you added remote vacuum canisters? What your success/ failure story with them?

I've have a Crane vacuum canister (bought in '96) that has been sitting in the garage. The brakes work fine as is, but I was thinking of installing it anyway to see what difference if any, it would make. Just been too lazy to install it. PLUS it was Yellow. Now it's Black. :D

Bruce...I'm interested in manual brakes...how involved is it and where is the best place to get what I need? How much will I spend?

I went vacuum & had so many problems with it, I went back to PM.
For an application like yours, I'd go manual.

What kind of problems, Roger?

Also, anyone tried the stand alone vacuum pump sold by Master Power Brakes?

http://www.mpbrakes.com/ac2724k.htm

Kinda pricey, but...

Manual brakes? I don't think so. I'm sure I'll go with power brakes (vacuum, PM or otherwise) a GN is way too much car not to use power brakes on the street and my street rod comes close (about #3000 dressed out is what I'm planning on) It was #2800 stock w/ stovebolt six in it.

I had a 66 Cobra Replica car with manuel brakes at around 2800 pounds. The brake effort was way to high for all but low speed driving.