V6 Torque Honing\Boring Plate

87Turboid

Hello there, So I got this line here in Portland Or on a V6 torque honing plate I think they come from BHJ, its cast iron $458.00.
I'm in the middle of a build 109 block with JE pistons 3.815 over. Now my question is do i need this, is this recommended? overkill for a pretty much stock build, no billet caps,no girdle but bigger turbo.

Attachments

• Honing plate.jpg
    Honing plate.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 89
Thanks for reply but that really wasn't my question. It's almost a 500 dollar investment to buy this and no shop has this available but do i need it, is it worth the investment. Maybe once it's done I can loan it out to members. Thanks again

For a stock rebuild I don't think it's really necessary. I have had Bearing Services in Portland do the machine work on several turbo motors and they came out real nice.

if you don't think you need it measure the cylinders then torque the mains and the head on one side and measure the cylinders again. Im willing to bet you get some different numbers. Production blocks move all over when you start torquing the stuff on to it.

It's actually been asked a lot. Guys that have used them and own mics and bore gauges say that it defiantly helps with cylinder distortion (I'm one of those guys).

People that have built engines without them and don't own precision measuring tools say it doesn't matter becasue you can get away with it.

The cylinders won't be true and round without the torque plate. Ring seal will suffer, blowby will be greater, and oil will get dirtier faster.

I thought about tooling up and building some torque plates but I have a feeling I'd be stuck with them much like the deal I passed on for Harland Sharp roller rockers after a lot of people said they were interested.

You guys also need to consider using the head gasket when using the torque plate. For example, a Felpro style gasket with a pre-flattened compression ring will distort to cylinder differently than a Comedic.
AG.

I use a head gasket if it's a thick composite type (after bevelling the hell out of the head bolt holes to spread the load closer to the meat of the deck). With my .027" Cometics, it doesn't matter.

I also make sure all the mains are torqued up and the motor mounts are installed (or dummies)

I would rather do nothing to a stock bore GM block, than hone without a torque plate. If any machine shop says it will be fine . . . . RUN!

Wow, now that’s some good info! Does anyone have a loner for standard to 15 thousand over? ( that would be the torque plate) Cheers

BEATAV8, what is the bore on your torque plate? Shipping is cheap ground. I could put a deposit on it.