Using 84-85 block with 86-87 parts?

Guido

Old School
Alright I apologize ahead of time if this topic has beat to death but I could not find much information on it doing a search. (perhaps I used wrong key words?)

Is there a big downfall to using an 85 block for a turbo swap?

I ask only because my friend JC93z bought a block thinking that it was an 76-87 block and after further investigation appears to be an 85 block.

The large diffs I can find right now are the lifter valley designs and the lack of a turbo drain back. The turbo drain can be overcome with a drain in the pan.

Only thing I worry about is the stregth of the block. Is the 85 block strong enough to handle the power to make a 10 second motor?? Or is it worth doing more searching for a 109 casting?

I saw that there seemed to be a lot of cars in 86-87 that came with the 109 block which may make finding one a little easier.

Any info you guys can supply us with would be great! Piston, crank, rod compatibility. anything.

Thanks

A friend of mine was able to do the swap. He has a 84 turbo Buick (hot air) that he converted over into a 87 design with the same 84 block and heads. He used the oil pan for the oil drain pipe and put on the newer intakes, plenum, 87 stock turbo, IC. He even used the factory mass-air. He did swap the ECM and put one of a 87 GN. The car ran mid 12's at around 108 mph. At bad for being a stock 84 block.:)

Thanks for the information.

JC ended up calling the guy back yesterday that sold him the block. He worked with him on it and was able to take it back. Luckily the guy had a source for another block and last night we picked it up. 109 casting.

:)