Upper Control Arm - Question

gn87man

Hey guys,

Quick question....the engine is out of my car getting rebuilt.

I noticed the rubber bushings on my upper control arms are worn out and rotted.

The upper control arms appear to be stock. Please let me know what you think.

I have attached some pictures.

Should I replace just the bushings or would it be better to replace the entire upper control arm?

Also, please let me know where I can purchase the rubber bushings and/or upper control arms.

Thanks so much in advance!

20180119_152226.jpg 20180119_190258.jpg

I have Moog problem solver bushings ready to go into my car to fix this exact problem. I've had them for months but have not done the job because I'm still torn between just doing the bushings versus going with aftermarket arms, ball joints, etc. Just doing the bushings is probably more labor but the bushings will retain height and stock NVH characteristics. The bushings are cost effective for sure from a parts standpoint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

At a minimum, replace those bushings. They're completely shot.

Fancy arms that actually fix the suspension and make the care handle more like a modern vehicle are a four figure investment. A set of bushings and a can of paint are $30.

I have Moog problem solver bushings ready to go into my car to fix this exact problem. I've had them for months but have not done the job because I'm still torn between just doing the bushings versus going with aftermarket arms, ball joints, etc. Just doing the bushings is probably more labor but the bushings will retain height and stock NVH characteristics. The bushings are cost effective for sure from a parts standpoint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Thank you so much! Yeah, I am torn as well. I am leaning towards just replacing the bushings. Like you said, I want to keep the stock height characteristics if possible. Plus, I don't want to spend $500 - $1000 on modern control arms. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
At a minimum, replace those bushings. They're completely shot.

Fancy arms that actually fix the suspension and make the care handle more like a modern vehicle are a four figure investment. A set of bushings and a can of paint are $30.
Thank you! Will do. Wow! I did not realize control arms were that expensive. I'll just stick with the bushings and black paint.

Where can I buy the bushings?

You can get tubular upper control arms from speedway motors for like 40$ each . You will buy 2 left ones and filp one over to use for the right side .

Thank you! Will do. Wow! I did not realize control arms were that expensive. I'll just stick with the bushings and black paint.

Where can I buy the bushings?

Any local parts store that carries Moog. O'Reilly carries them. Bumper to Bumper, too. No Autozone.

You can get tubular upper control arms from speedway motors for like 40$ each . You will buy 2 left ones and filp one over to use for the right side .
Oh, ok. Nice! I did not know you could do that. Thank you!

Oh, ok. Nice! I did not know you could do that. Thank you!

The $40 speedway arms don't have any geometry correction. They'll save you the trouble of painting the arms you already have, and that's about it.

The $40 speedway arms don't have any geometry correction. They'll save you the trouble of painting the arms you already have, and that's about it.
oh, ok. Thank you for the information.

You couldn't have asked for better time to replace your control arm bushing,and by looking at Pics they need it. SpeedRacerX mention
Moog Problem Solver you can't go wrong that's what type of ball joints I replace my OEM with. I would either go with Moog Problem Solver
or Energy Suspension bushing, both are Polyurethane. ,Just by replacing those bushing in that control mounting bracket will help matters
because they are shot. But if you want to do it right for under 100.00 bucks pull the control arms out, media blast them then paint them
with a can of Eastwood Satin Black paint and replace bushing, they will look brand new. Good Luck !!

You couldn't have asked for better time to replace your control arm bushing,and by looking at Pics they need it. SpeedRacerX mention
Moog Problem Solver you can't go wrong that's what type of ball joints I replace my OEM with. I would either go with Moog Problem Solver
or Energy Suspension bushing, both are Polyurethane. ,Just by replacing those bushing in that control mounting bracket will help matters
because they are shot. But if you want to do it right for under 100.00 bucks pull the control arms out, media blast them then paint them
with a can of Eastwood Satin Black paint and replace bushing, they will look brand new. Good Luck !!
Glad I noticed the worn out bushings while the engine was out of the car.
Yes, I am going to get the Moog Problem Solver Bushings. I will remove the upper control arms, media blast them, and paint them.
Thanks so much for the suggestions.

I have never attempted to change upper control arm bushings....is it a difficult process? Are there any videos out there that explain the process?

Thank you in advance.

I just called O'Reilly and they quoted me $65 per set ($130 total) for Moog Problem Solver Bushings. They quoted me $28 per set ($56 total) for the regular Moog bushings. Are the Problem Solver bushings that much better than regular Moog bushings, to justify the price difference?

Yes. They are stiffer and the shell is much thicker than the regular ones. Go online and look at the pictures of them.