Upgrading to a 16v system

CGASTON

I am looking for advice from someone that has done it. I have been doing my research and making phone calls. Now I think that I have come up with a game plan and thinking that I am going to make the jump. One question that you may ask is why do I want to run the 16v system? Well I want to increases fuel pump volume by 30%, prevent power loss to the injectors and ensures full injector control, increased voltage and current to the ignition coils to provide more power to the ignition system and preventing loss of spark under high boost and high loads. Not to forget the increase voltage will increase my fans performance, window speed, and brighter head lights. I seen that some of the down falls (I wouldn’t call them true downfalls) with increased voltage is brighter taillights, dash lights may blow, and issues with the radio. Head /tail lights can be converted to HID to handle the voltage increase and possibly the dash lights to LEDs. The radio may need to have a resistor added to decrease the voltage.

How do I plan to run my 16v system? Well I think that I am going to get an alternator from “POWERMASTER” and my battery from “XS-POWER”. The alternator will be an adjustable regulator and set at 16.5v and the battery will be a 14v. For a 14v battery to charge, it needs feed 16v. If I would go with a 16v battery, then I could not run an alternator. If I did run a 16v alternator and 16v battery, I would then burn up my FP. Moreover, I cannot drive the car on the street without an alternator to charge the battery and keep the car running.

Not worrying about the ECU since I am using an XFI.

So with your experience, do you recommend that you upgrade any part of your wiring harness to a 14 to 10 gage wire? Please share your input and your experiences with me so that I am sure that I do not have any issues or problems with my install.

Appreciate all the help and input!!

Clint

I did the upgrade for the same reasons. 16 volt battery, and alt. Output is 18.5 at idle. Mine is race only, haven't seen a down side yet. Phil.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Its in my Dads race car too. Works great and no more voltage issues.

The windows go up and down much faster now too!!!;)

I did the upgrade for the same reasons. 16 volt battery, and alt. Output is 18.5 at idle. Mine is race only, haven't seen a down side yet. Phil.

What pump are you running? Have you had any issues with dash lights, headlights, or wiring burning up? Since I Am going to drive as well, I think that 14v battery will be my limit.

Weldon 2035, hasn't melted down anything. As far as dashlights, headlights they're ok too. Fans sound like they're moving more air!! Don't forget, you'll need a special battery charger also. Phil.