Upgrading rear brakes and cylinders question

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
I understand that S10 wheel cylinders will bolt right on , my ? is if I go to AutoZone what year model S10 do I ask for and Can you buy all long shoes for our cars at local places ? Thanks Keith

You'll need to buy 2 sets of shoes to get 4 long. As for wheel cylinders ask for '84 S-10 wheels cylinders. Just make sure there 7/8" Here's a part # that may help too (#WC37644T) I think that's a Bendex number

I went a different route to get mine done as I bought the wheel cylinders off E-bay. They were a much better price, you need to shop around,

It does/did make a difference to make the upgrades. I can tell a before and after difference.

Had to do some research to find them. I paid $8.85 & $8.98 for the other.

Search for 1982 to 1988 S-10 or part number W37644.

Approx 10lbs each

Attachments

• IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 88
How bout the local auto stores ? I tried Auto Zone looking under S10 drums and all they had was steel .

I could have ordered in the drums through Carquest locally but I decided to go with Kirban. Made a deal with Dennis, as I sent him my old stock turbo and PM cores that were just sitting collecting dust.

Here's a question for you.
Does anybody know if the GM Metric Oversized Front Brake Callipers (2-3/4") bore paired with the larger S-10 (7/8" bore) rear brake cylinders would provide a balanced braking bias? The oversized Metric Callipers claim they have about 20% more clamping force over the factory units.

Stock front Metric Callipers are 2-1/2" bore and rear brake cylinders are 3/4" bore.

Do you have to buy different drums to fit the S10 cylinders and long shoes?

The cylinders went right in as they are no different on the outside as our factory. The shoes must be different as my drums are at their maximum (325mm) and they barely fit even with the adjusters screwed are the way in.

I made a tool with my lathe that make putting the round clip on much easier if someone wants to "rent" it.

I did the s10 wheel cylinders on my car. The rears will lock up quickly now. Just be aware of that.