Upgrade from te60

What’s a good modern turbo to upgrade from the TE60?

Goal is mid-high 10s stock Motor, 93/alky 95% street.

Thanks guys

With all of the current turbo technology, it makes this choice pretty difficult.
However, depending on your budget, I would recommend the tried and proven PT6266 CEA turbo. Or, one of Bison's 62 turbos. Both will get you to your goals, if you have all of the supporting mods. Also, you will need to port and contour the wastegate hole much larger than as cast for perfect boost control. It is possible to push a PT6262 to high 10's, but it would be much easier with the larger turbine wheel in the PT6266. The latest Gen 2 PT6266 utilizes the newer CEA 66mm turbine wheel and will make more power, but costs significantly more.

https://www.precisionturbo.net/Stre...Street-and-Race-Turbocharger---PT6266-CEA/479

https://www.precisionturbo.net/Stre...t-and-Race-Turbocharger---GEN2-PT6266-CEA/567

https://www.facebook.com/bisonsperformance/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Give us more info about your current setup and we can better help narrow down the choices/recommendations.

One last thing, just so you know, there are literally hundreds of posts from the past asking this exact same question. So don't be surprised if you get some rough responses from people telling you to do a search.

-Patrick-

What’s a good modern turbo to upgrade from the TE60?

Goal is mid-high 10s stock Motor, 93/alky 95% street.

Thanks guys

Mid high 10’s isn’t typical without a lot of supporting parts. A few have done it on unopened engines. Most will never get there without heads and a whole bunch more. The MFS 6262 is the typical 10 sec turbo. I’ve got them out there making low 10 sec or better power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I was a little vague guys, here’s the mod list

Light build on the rebuilt engine includes: Turbonetics TE60, 60# injectors, LT1 MAF with translator, Dutt neck intercooler, Alky control, Edelbrock performer cam, 3” downpipe, Type II ignition, Pypes exhaust with test tube, Hotwire and adjustable FPR. Twin electric fans and radiator box in kit to keep her cool.
Car ran a solid 341HP 373TQ to the rear wheels on KDK dyno March 2017 with a conservative tune and 18.7# boost
Trans rebuilt by KDK with 10” lockup convertor March 2017

Mid high 10’s isn’t typical without a lot of supporting parts. A few have done it on unopened engines. Most will never get there without heads and a whole bunch more. The MFS 6262 is the typical 10 sec turbo. I’ve got them out there making low 10 sec or better power

OP,
There it is.
Bison tricked 6262, and be done.

Last edited:

OP,
There it is.
Bison tricked 6262, and be done.

I’d bet there would be little to no change just switching turbos. He would need a lot more to be done.

I’d bet there would be little to no change just switching turbos. He would need a lot more to be done.

See . . . That's exactly what many have been saying all along. Even though you sell turbo's you are telling the OP not to purchase yet because there won't be much if any increase.

Translation:
You don't oversell and when you say it's needed, it is.

The te60 is no where near ran out at 18#, post back when you turn it up to 27 ...with the correct fueling of course .

See . . . That's exactly what many have been saying all along. Even though you sell turbo's you are telling the OP not to purchase yet because there won't be much if any increase.

Translation:
You don't oversell and when you say it's needed, it is.
Very similar thing that happened with me. Asked about what turbo would be an upgrade over my old 60 series Turbonetics, Bison told me I wouldn't be gaining anything until I maxed out the one that I had. It wasn't until that Turbonetics started to machine it's way into the housing and broke chunks off the compressor wheel, that I actually NEEDED a new one, so I purchased one from Bison. Asked about a solid 10 second turbo that would work with my combo, and the mfs 6262 is what he recommended. Very pleased with it, quick spool, and pulls strong on the top end. Hits the tires hard... great street turbo. It's a pleasure to deal with straight-shooting vendors that aren't just trying to get in your wallet. His support before I had purchased anything from him earned my business... and that same support hasn't changed after the sale.
20180429_181252.jpg