updated timing cover ?

Yah's 87

im about to replace the original factory timing chain and gears, and wondering while the timing cover is off should I replace the timing cover with a newer version? or even consider a cam? everything is original and this is a daily driver, although going to a double roller style. thanks.

Without goals or budget, best we can do is give opinions?

There is a lot involved changing the cam.
With stock cams going deep into the 11's and it being a DD , I would leave it alone.
Earl Brown front cover oiling mod maybe and put it back together.

ok thanks, pretty happy with the car as it is, just covering all the bases before I begin wrenching,thoughtt i read something to the effect that the oil cooler was enhanced in a newer verion timing cover. 'll do some more searching on here, thanks again,
Ronjon

Make sure to get a quality double roller and eliminate the tensioner.

Best option IMO, is to get the stock replacement chain and roller cam button. Good luck.

How many miles on the car? At least pull the lifters and inspect the bottom for wear/pitting.

129, motor was rebuilt about 20k ago. Also have some comp 910 valve springs here yet to install, most likely do all this at the same time

If your GM cover isn't damaged, I'd run that over a brand new Chinese cover any day of the week.

Do the flow mods, set the end play and let it fly.

Also, since you're considering a double roller, if it's a roll master, you need to remove that goofy flap of metal on the outside of the cam sensor bore. A meatier chain set can make contact with that in some cases. It's best just to remove it and be done.