Upcoming Hawaiian Holiday

JimG

Aloha everyone,
My wife and I have planned two weeks at the Orchid at Kona in March. the hotel charges large for daily parking, and we don't have a need for a car each day. What are practical alternatives for transportation for some site seeing around the island.
Are there buses?
Any tips on daily rental cars?
Any must sees while we are there?

all comments are welcome.
many thanks
Jim

its a big island you need a car,we got a bus system mostly to and from work, its a 30+mint drive to Kona nice beach,time of the year is important to pick a must see.I have a few friends that work there and ask about bus situation and parking

My spelling is bad and my gramer is even worse,I should have read that before I hit post reply.We have a bus system but its intent is geared to the hotel workers going to and from work.The Orchid has a beautiful beach.and whales might be here in March.It is the end of winter so water can be like a lake or surf.Go to Scenic Hawaii=HD channel 1000,click on Big Island.what are your likes , interest and age?

My spelling is bad and my gramer is even worse,I should have read that before I hit post reply.We have a bus system but its intent is geared to the hotel workers going to and from work.The Orchid has a beautiful beach.and whales might be here in March.It is the end of winter so water can be like a lake or surf.Go to Scenic Hawaii=HD channel 1000,click on Big Island.what are your likes , interest and age?

thank you for your reply and the link. We are in our early 50s and just wanting to chill. Seems like its a little challenging on the transport side so we may be tied down to the resort,which may not be so bad.
Many thanks
Jim

Not sure if you already made your reservations for your car rental, but do it now. I had to fly to Kona yesterday. Thank God I have a friend who works at a car rental company. Every last company was sold out for the day . Hertz did have cars available but the prices were crazy $143 for an economy car for one day !!!!! Now to be fair, that price was high because all other places were sold out. Anyways, book the car as soon as you can.

Make sure you check out Volcano National Park, Akaka Falls, Punaluu Black Sand Beach, Big Island Candies in Hilo, Tsunami museum in Hilo, Puuhonua O Honaunau National Park, Lili Uokalani Gardens in Hilo, Gathering of the Kings Luau, etc. Those are places that I actually visited and had a great time. Also, please visit this website http://www.101thingstodo.com/big-island/ . I hope you enjoy your time in Hawaii, Aloha.

51.jpg

51.jpg
81.jpg

Not sure if you already made your reservations for your car rental, but do it now. I had to fly to Kona yesterday. Thank God I have a friend who works at a car rental company. Every last company was sold out for the day . Hertz did have cars available but the prices were crazy $143 for an economy car for one day !!!!! Now to be fair, that price was high because all other places were sold out. Anyways, book the car as soon as you can.

Make sure you check out Volcano National Park, Akaka Falls, Punaluu Black Sand Beach, Big Island Candies in Hilo, Tsunami museum in Hilo, Puuhonua O Honaunau National Park, Lili Uokalani Gardens in Hilo, Gathering of the Kings Luau, etc. Those are places that I actually visited and had a great time. Also, please visit this website http://www.101thingstodo.com/big-island/ . I hope you enjoy your time in Hawaii, Aloha.

View attachment 154896

View attachment 154896View attachment 154897
Hey Brent,
thank you very much for that information. we leave home next tuesday and are anxious to go. the hotel offers "dollar rent a car" so we may use a car from there for a couple of outing days. I will certainly look into the locations you have detailed.
Many thanks to all who responded.
aloha
Jim

Aloha everyone,
well we have returned from two glorious weeks at the north kohala coast. You are all very fortunate to live in such a beautiful area. we are now working on arranging another trip to the Big Island.
Many thanks again
Jim