TXDOT TRANSPORTATION CODE, CHAPTER 504. LICENSE PLATES

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Attached file includes a copy of the applicable Code and section. The sections of interest are highlighted.
Keep a copy in your vehicle for the "Just in case". :cool:

Link to code:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.504.htm

Copy of applicable section for "Antique license plate".

Sec. 504.502. CERTAIN EXHIBITION VEHICLES; OFFENSE.
(a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a passenger car, truck, motorcycle, or former military vehicle that:
(1) is at least 25 years old, if the vehicle is a passenger car, truck, or motorcycle;
(2) is a collector's item;
(3) is used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and is not used for regular transportation; and
(4) does not carry advertising.
(b) The license plates must include the words "Antique Auto," "Antique Truck," "Antique Motorcycle," or "Military Vehicle," as appropriate.

(c) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and approved by the department, provided that a passenger car must bear passenger car or truck license plates and a truck must bear passenger car or truck license plates. The department may require attachment of a registration insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the license plate.
(d) License plates issued or approved under this section expire on the fifth anniversary of the date of issuance or approval.
(e) The fee for issuance or approval of license plates under this section is:
(1) $10 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured in 1921 or later; or

(2) $8 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured before 1921.
(f) The department may exempt a former military vehicle from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military markings. The department may approve an alternative registration insignia that is compatible with the vehicle's original markings.
(g) A person entitled to specialty license plates or to department approval under this section may register the vehicle without payment of any fees paid for or at the time of registration except the fee for the license plate.
(h) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle issued license plates under Subsection (a) shall be required to attach and display only one license plate on the rear of the vehicle.
(i) In this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that:

(1) was manufactured for use in any country's military forces; and
(2) is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.
(j) Repealed by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296, Sec. 247(16), eff. January 1, 2012.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1320, Sec. 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Amended by:
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1318 (H.B.
3425), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2005.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296 (H.B.
2357), Sec. 196, eff. January 1, 2012.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296 (H.B.
2357), Sec. 247(16), eff. January 1, 2012.

Attachments

• TXDOT TRANSPORTATION CODE.pdf
    154.8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Well since I work at a shop and my car's an antique, I can drive it everyday to and from work "for repair" I guess.:ROFLMAO:

Good stuff!

And what is the official word on state inspections if you have any of these plates and are 25 years or older?

I have Personalized "antique auto" plates, do I get a inspection every year? Every 5 years? None at all?

Good stuff!

And what is the official word on state inspections if you have any of these plates and are 25 years or older?

I have Personalized "antique auto" plates, do I get a inspection every year? Every 5 years? None at all?

Good question!
I believe this describes it but not 100% sure as I have seen conflicting statements.
Still digging . . . . (n)

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.548.htm

Sec. 548.052. VEHICLES NOT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION. This chapter does not apply to:
(1) a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home moving under or bearing a current factory-delivery license plate or current in-transit license plate;
(2) a vehicle moving under or bearing a paper dealer in-transit tag, machinery license, disaster license, parade license, prorate tab, one-trip permit, vehicle temporary transit permit, antique license, custom vehicle license, street rod license, temporary 24-hour permit, or permit license;

Sec. 548.101. GENERAL ONE-YEAR INSPECTION PERIOD. Except as provided by Section 548.102, the department shall require an annual inspection. The department shall set the periods of inspection and may make rules with respect to those periods. The rules must provide that:
(1) a vehicle owner may obtain an inspection not earlier than 90 days before the date of expiration of the vehicle's registration; and
(2) a used motor vehicle sold by a dealer, as defined by Section 503.001, must be inspected in the 180 days preceding the date the dealer sells the vehicle.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Amended by: Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1291 (H.B.
2305), Sec. 21, eff. March 1, 2015.

Sec. 548.103. EXTENDED INSPECTION PERIOD FOR CERTAIN VEHICLES.
The department may extend the time within which the resident owner of a vehicle that is not in this state when an inspection is required must obtain an inspection certificate in this state.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Amended by: Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1291 (H.B.
2305), Sec. 22, eff. March 1, 2015.

Good stuff!

Source: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/uniqueVeh.htm

Antique & Classic
Vehicles registered as "Antiques" are exempt from annual inspection. To see the restrictions on the use of antiques or to obtain more information on how to register your vehicle as "Antique", see the TXDMV website.

Vehicles registered as "Classic" are required to have an annual safety inspection. These types of vehicles are inspected like any passenger vehicle. Certain items of inspection, however, may or may not be required to be inspected, depending on the age of the car. (For example, seatbelts and anchorages are only required if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them.)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Source: http://www.dmv.com/tx/texas/custom-vehicle-registration

· Auto Insurance is exempt for antique vehicles that meet provisions of restricted use in Texas.
· See also Title Transfers and Registering a Non-Custom Vehicle.
· Antique vehicles are exempt from inspection. "Classic" vehicles have to be inspected annually for safety by the Texas Department of Safety in your county.
· If the vehicle is not owned by you any more or is destroyed/ junked or ceases to exist then apply for a refund on unused part of the registration fee.
·
Motor cycles, passenger car, travel trailer and classic light truck can apply for antique license plates.