Twin Turbo

Series one

Mine is CSX 5090..

George said it was always silver on black.. but I do know that there was some arguements between Carrol and his buddy over the original paint quality. apparently there was a reaction between the stripes and the black base coat. I was told that they repainted the stripes and then cleared the whole car. The thought of red stripes is horrifying!
The supercharged Shelby was a kit and actually had a five liter! Just trying to avoid confusion on the post with the non believers.
I have the estimate for adding the option to #90 but am building another (GN 109 block in the mean time) Figured that my 17k was going a little further on the 109 car!

P.S.
The series one came out of Orlando and was owned by the Johnson (wax) family.

Re: TT

Originally posted by bilt2run
Mine is a manual my fathers is a tip. FYI the tip is quicker.

I dont care what you have read or believe to be true..live the dream.. drive the cars...experience reality... outside the glossy pages of road and track. These cars are bone stock.. 01(mine).. and 03 (his).

Take it to the track and prove me wrong. It will only cost you $20 to make me look like an idiot.

If you KNOW HOW TO DRIVE the tiptronic is slower than the manual in the 1/4 mile. much slower.

If you can run 12.3's in a stock tiptronic I will proclaim you as the greatest driver to ever get behind the wheel of a Porsche, because you would have done that which is not possible.

Really, I will.

My point is simply this, the man said he ran right with a turbo Porsche. Was it your Porshe? No, but that is no reason to place doubt on his word. If you doubt him, take yours and go run him. Seems pretty clear cut to me. Otherwise, I'm inclined to believe what he says is true.

P.S.- If the Tiptronic is quicker, all those guys racing Porsche 996s with factory support must be morons, they're all manual transmission cars.

TT

The tip is faster in a production car, especially in real world conditions with the average driver at the wheel.
The race preped cars run a trans not generally available to th public.
Champion motors in Lauderdale ( where mine came from ) Has a 20 thousand sq. foot race facility where they stage and prep the Porsche and Audi factory sponsored race teams. My father and I were lucky enough to tour the facility. Most of the full race factory cars were running a large, wheel mounted, paddle type TIP.
There were some manual cars especially amongst the Audis.
:cool:

whats all this talk of 12's? i've i remember reading an article a few years back with like a 01 Tt awd porche, a z06, viper gts, and a fwe other i can't remeber, but the porche went 11.35, the viper 11.55, and i think the z06 went low 12's. I guess some ppl just know how to drive, and and some dont.

Originally posted by menlatin
whats all this talk of 12's? i've i remember reading an article a few years back with like a 01 Tt awd porche, a z06, viper gts, and a fwe other i can't remeber, but the porche went 11.35, the viper 11.55, and i think the z06 went low 12's. I guess some ppl just know how to drive, and and some dont.

Maybe WC prepped race cars, but stock street cars wouldn't get near those numbers (except the vette under absolutely ideal conditions).

You need a 6K RPM clutch drop for a TT 911 to run low 12's. It ain't gonna run low 11's stock.

Ma car beat a TT porsche last summer on the street. Beautiful car tho wish i could afford 1, but at least i can say I've beat one. And it was a TT, I am self proclaIMED car nut. ;)

I'm sure this Porsche wasn't fully engaging you. It seems they all run around at half throttle toying with everybody. It's a proven fact that one with a Tiptronic can outrun the space shuttle to the moon and back and use less fuel doing it.........:rolleyes: :p

TT

You guys are right after all turns out my TT will only turn a 16 sec 1/4 and I had a stock GN put 3 lengthson me to 60 mph..and in the rain to boot!~
Gee wizz!!:cool:

now I'll give the bavarian brawler its' due but thats where the niceties end! I don't know if you were referrin to me when u said he was not fully engagin me but when i see the front nose go up in the air when he took off from the light i took that as he was on it and attempting to out accelerate the mighty T. But to his and ur dismay, HE FAILED MISERABLY! NOw get over this porsche thing, Its a fast car and I'm sure it is very stable at speed for top speed cruisin. But it can't hold a light to a TR w/ some mods and traction in the old acceleration test. Did I mention I do run mid 11's at over 117 mph while hardly tryin hard. At the time I played w/ the porsche i was only runnin mid to low 12s. Now do u think ur vaunted Volkswagon, OOPS, I meant porsche can hang w/ me? :rolleyes:

Also menlatin, while i do not want to dispute what u said u read about those 3 cars I have never seen an stock porsche out do a stock viper gts in the 1/4. Maybe 0-60, but not the 1/4 unless they tested a modded porsche,(ruf and 'im sure theres another tuner out there for them.) U know what I'll correct myself for now cause i forget what the gt2 or gt3, the 1 w/ rear wheel drive,porsche runs and that new ugly porsche they just put out that makes i think 600 hp.

What's the deal?

Bilt2Run wasn't calling BS on anyone, nor has he been at all disrespectful towards TR's. Why is that some of you guys have to get all hard and talk smack to the point of getting hatey about it? :confused:

And, why is it so hard to believe that a properly equipped and driven Turbo AWD Porsche could beat a high 11/low 12 sec TR? That's no more impossible than it is for the same TR to beat the Porsche, is it?

And don't forget - there are a lot of different variations of Porsches out there and just because a car says "Turbo" doesn't necessarily mean that it is OR guarantee it is the AWD version. There are guys who like the look but can't afford the ride, just like you see in every other genre of automobile. I've met two different guys with the Turbo look and lettering who did not actually have true Turbo Porsches - they just liked the look.

The true TT AWD Porsche and the TR are two completely different animals, built for two different reasons. They BOTH are awesome. I've driven both and can verify for what Bilt said. Lighten up already, ok?

I'm sure this Porsche wasn't fully engaging you. It seems they all run around at half throttle toying with everybody

That is what gs-beavis said. Now I don't know about anyone elses street savvy but i know the difference between half throttle and full engagement. I know these 2 beasts r just that, but on that day my beast emerged the victor. And Raven I was not being hatey as u call it. I just told of my experience w/ them cause some people were making them out to be unbeatable by a modded TR. Top speed, I won't even try, but 0-130 bring it on. I don't hate on anyone I tell of my experience. If this seems unbelievable then grab a porsche and bring 1 to me and I will prove it. And the 1 I raced was a TT baby blue mettallic 911 w/ the nice wing on back. I had been eyeballin him for months and could never get on the same stretch as him. As luck would have it he came after me lookin for trouble. And thats when the pain for him began. :D

Sorry about the confusion Darth. My "fully engaged" comment was in reference to the opening line at the very beginning of this thread. This entire thread was started due to another thread titled "Porsche Turbo Coupe" by Red Regal T, in which he runs right with a turbo 911 with a slightly ailing GN. Bilt is kind enough in this thread to go on and say that Red's kill is probably out of charity since the Porsche was "unlikely to be fully engaging" and basically he could not have done what he did against a TT Porsche. What gets me is, Red was there, Bilt was not. If the man said he stayed right with the Porsche, I'm inclined to believe him. I think it is in poor taste to post another thread casting doubt on another man's kill if you weren't there to see it. End of rant.:rolleyes:

TT

If it had the nice wing on the back it was an NA C4. or an older model not a 996 model(world of difference.)!!! About 100 HP difference from turbo to turbo and 160 from NA to turbo. BTW my AWD 996 does not raise the front much on launch, AWD bias to the front normally.

P.S. the 996 model TT has a flush rear with a wing that raises and lowers straight up and down on electric rams. No oil cooler swinging out or big whale tail.

BTW.. I have been bitten hard by the turbo bug and love GN's Have Two!!! and yes... one will wax the porsche... but... it has a stage motor with around 20k in it. My 109 WILL NOT @ present levels. I can only relate my experiences!! And you my feel different ...thats wonderful...but...RELAX...coffee is now available in decaf!!

I generally keep things pretty freindly and do not wish to offend anyone with my opinions. Lets face it everyone is entilted to their say. This board would be fairly boring without it!!!:)