TV CABLE PLUNGER ADJUSTMENT

daredevil95

Hi, I installed a used 87 200R4 into a 86 GN. The used trans is a AC Delco replacement trans out of a 22,000 mile GN that was wrecked. I installed the trans about a month ago and it drove great, my father wanted the trans to shift a little harder so he messed with the TV cable while I was not around and screwed something up. I wasn't able to readjust the TV cable, it was acting as though it was not connected below but, it was. So, the car sat for about a month until I was able to finish a couple other projects and today I jacked it up, pulled pan and checked the TV cable from below, the plunger was being pushed in about half way into the valve body. So, while my father floored the gas pedal, we adjusted the cable and got it adjusted correctly to both open and closed positions. I made a quick video showing the plunger action, I'm not sure if the plunger is moving to slow or maybe the bracket/lever operating the plunger is off...I'm not sure but, I'm trying to learn what I can and fix this myself. My local trans shop states they can't get to it for about a month and the guy the car usually goes to can't work on cars at his house, just transmissions out of cars so, I'm the man for the job! Any advice on the plunger movement will be appreciated. I want to make sure I did what I could before installing the pan and fluid. I've changed plenty of transmissions and valve bodies and that sort of stuff so, I have some trans experience but, far from a daily trans professional. Thanx

If the trans has been sitting a long time I’d pull the valve body and clean it real well with brake clean and check all the valve motion and be done with it. The tv plunger spring is stout but the spring that actually returns the inner tv valve is very light and the tv valve sticks easily if it’s been sitting.

You can pull the tv plunger sleeve and spring out without pulling the valve body. Remove the bolt that holds the linkage. Pull the roll pin out and remove plunger. You can’t pull the inner valve though, you may be able to run something in the bore to stroke the valve and try to see if it’s sticky but it likely is sticky if it’s been sitting and you’ll be pulling the valve body anyway.

As far as adjustment. Cable should be adjusted to allow the tv plunger to bottom out at the exact point the throttle body hits wide open throttle. No more, no less.

Since the pan is off can you see if there’s any painted letters on the side of the valve body? If it’s a reman it might not be the coveted BR valve body. There’s other ways to ID it if the paint is washed off it.

If the trans has been sitting a long time I’d pull the valve body and clean it real well with brake clean and check all the valve motion and be done with it. The tv plunger spring is stout but the spring that actually returns the inner tv valve is very light and the tv valve sticks easily if it’s been sitting.

You can pull the tv plunger sleeve and spring out without pulling the valve body. Remove the bolt that holds the linkage. Pull the roll pin out and remove plunger. You can’t pull the inner valve though, you may be able to run something in the bore to stroke the valve and try to see if it’s sticky but it likely is sticky if it’s been sitting and you’ll be pulling the valve body anyway.

As far as adjustment. Cable should be adjusted to allow the tv plunger to bottom out at the exact point the throttle body hits wide open throttle. No more, no less.

Since the pan is off can you see if there’s any painted letters on the side of the valve body? If it’s a reman it might not be the coveted BR valve body. There’s other ways to ID it if the paint is washed off it.

That's good info, thanks. I will probably drop the valve body and take a look / clean. The trans sat for a few years and both TV / Dipstick holes were not sealed but, in a heated garage. There wasn't much debris in the pan when I changed the filter prior to install. One mistake I made was running Dexron 6 instead of 3. I might go back to the Dexron 3. Thanks for the feedback

Fluid choice probably wont matter. You also won’t need to pull the spacer plate and accumulator housing if you’re careful enough and the gasket stays whole.

Post a pic of the paint code on the other side if you don’t mind

Set the minimum TV pressure to about 90psi. You may be able to get it up around 100 without adverse effects but may have second starts. The pressure at full TV should be about 225psi and it should be a rapid rise if you are holding the engine around 1500rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses, Bison, good to hear from you, you rebuilt the turbo for me a few years ago and it's still running strong! Anyways, back to the topic. I'm going to drop the valve body and give everything a good cleaning. I'll take pics of the valve body and post. I'm going to install a cheap shift kit like a transgo kit or something in that cheap calss; the reason I am going to install such a cheap kit is because I don't plan on running this trans forever, I have a built trans that is broken, I think it's the drum that is broke, I think this is the 4th time the trans broke in the past 10 years and it's always the drum. I want to rebuild the trans myself this time this spring or early summer, it will take me some time since I never did this before and I don't want to be in a hurry. I think it will be scary and fun at the same time...? I still have to research what is the better shift kits in the cheap price class and order one this week. I have to find out if the kit comes with both plunger springs IDK? I'll update when I take the valve body off sometime this week. Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated. Thank you

Update: I cleaned the valve body and adjusted the TV cable a little tighter and the trans works perfect. I didn't bother with the cheap shift kit, not worth the hassle. It turned out to be a very nice stock trans and the lock out converter works perfect in OD. So, it's good enough for now. Thanks for the advice and I never checked the trans pressures, it worked perfect so, I didn't bother with it.