Turnkey Catch Can Kits

SpeedRacerX

I've read about all the catch can bits, pieces from various vendors and approaches but has any vendor created a turnkey solution for our TR? Or do I just assemble my own?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you want one in the pcv line it's just some hose and the catch can. Not much to that. If you want to do a catch can for the vc's it's a little more involves. Do a search to see some pics of how others have done them. There are several solutions depending on if you have the heater box or slic or front mount for the location.

If you want one in the pcv line it's just some hose and the catch can. Not much to that. If you want to do a catch can for the vc's it's a little more involves. Do a search to see some pics of how others have done them. There are several solutions depending on if you have the heater box or slic or front mount for the location.
Thanks. I just got lucky today. Picked up a nearly new kit that was just removed for a customer at Cruz Performance who didn't like the racecar look. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks. I just got lucky today. Picked up a nearly new kit that was just removed for a customer at Cruz Performance who didn't like the racecar look. I'll see how it goes.

For the PCV circuit or for the Valve Cover outlet? Both circuits could benefit from a catch can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the PCV circuit or for the Valve Cover outlet? Both circuits could benefit from a catch can.

What I picked up today is for the valve covers. I may do the pcv also. I did pickup an RJC brass check valve to give the pcv some help.

What I picked up today is for the valve covers. I may do the pcv also. I did pickup an RJC brass check valve to give the pcv some help.

If you decide to use a catch can in the PCV circuit, just make sure you use a check valve before the catch can to keep boost pressure from entering it.
Example:
Vacuum block
Line
Check valve
Line
Catch can
Line
PCV

If you decide to use a catch can in the PCV circuit, just make sure you use a check valve before the catch can to keep boost pressure from entering it.
Example:
Vacuum block
Line
Check valve
Line
Catch can
Line
PCV

I was wondering about the "order." Thank you.

Here's a pic of my buddy's catch can set-up for one of his Stage cars. He's got catch cans for his valve covers, but does have ac delete.
172676152faa6eca026165c9d9e4797d.jpg

Except when you forget to empty it and it overflows and .... ick. That day sucked.
If you are getting that much crap in there then you've got issues! I just clean it out every month or two.

Whats the benefit of using them... I'm looking at the Racetronix ones right now.

******The benefit of using catch can is the reduction of oil in the blow by gases from the compression stroke of the motor that would normally be routed through the PCV and back into the intake where it coats everything with a sticky combination of oil and water. This coating of oil can lead to carbon and other deposits all over the plenum and intake/exhaust valves if there is enough oil getting in there. It's especially troublesome in a turbocharged application as you have blow by from not just the combustion chamber but also from possible leakage at the turbo seals making the problem even worse as it can now coat the intercooler on the inside with sticky oil that negatively alters its thermal reduction capabilities thus reducing it's capacity to cool the intake charge.

Originally the PCV system was designed to reduce emissions by redirecting this oil rich blow by gas back into the intake tract where it would burn up the oil in the normal combustion process. Higher horsepower applications, or an older motor, bad rings, and other such issues can produce significant oil blow by that can potentially cause all manner of problems if not reduced. Check valves in the system are also often used to reduce hyper pressurization of the crankcase which can potentially push oil out of seals (rear main, valve covers, etc... ). Our GN cars were known for oil leaks, and one old school method of reducing leaks was using inline check valve(s) at the PCV to prevent hyper pressurization of the crankcase. The other method was swapping the motor out for a small block chevy (I kid!!!!!!!) :LOL:

Anyway, the catch can is basically a device that has an inlet, an outlet, and a can with some kind of baffling, packing or other system to separate the oil and water vapor mix so it doesn't contaminate the motor with horsepower robbing deposits. The oil that collects has to be periodically drained. Better to drain it at the can, than have that oil in the intercooler, or motor where it can cause all manner of crud to form everywhere, which can reduce performance.

Hope this helps

Billy