Turbo

Turbobuick87

Question: I have an 87 buick grand national and I have a Garrett 54 turbo. In reference to the oil feed line, the fitting that screws into the turbo. I've been told they make a fitting that reduces the oil flow, into the turbo which helps prevent blowing seals or something of that natural. If so, what is the name of this particular fitting and where might I purchase one? Thank you, in advance.

You can get them from summit

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Question: I have an 87 buick grand national and I have a Garrett 54 turbo. In reference to the oil feed line, the fitting that screws into the turbo. I've been told they make a fitting that reduces the oil flow, into the turbo which helps prevent blowing seals or something of that natural. ..............

My opinion is to leave the oiling to the turbo alone, and not restrict oil to it.

If it was a ball bearing turbo, then manufacturer may specify to restrict oil and would supply the proper fitting.

A 1986 GN is here for some service and it has the original turbo with 97k miles and no issues, and not seen many turbo have seal issues unless other factors have help destroy turbo seals.

Main causes are dirty and/or contaminated oil, or synthetic oil, or engine issues like backfires.

My opinion is to leave the oiling to the turbo alone, and not restrict oil to it.

If it was a ball bearing turbo, then manufacturer may specify to restrict oil and would supply the proper fitting.

A 1986 GN is here for some service and it has the original turbo with 97k miles and no issues, and not seen many turbo have seal issues unless other factors have help destroy turbo seals.

Main causes are dirty and/or contaminated oil, or synthetic oil, or engine issues like backfires.[/QUO

Ok. What kind of oil do you suggest using, as for as brand and weight? The motor is bored over 30 with an up graded camshaft and has about maybe 5000 to 7000 miles on it. I was told Rotella 15-40

Again an opinion, Rotella is a diesel oil which has more detergent and less the additive that helps keep oil from "foaming" as most diesels operate at 2-3000 RPM.

Any brand oil with the starburst on the label is fine, and I always add some ZDDP additive with each oil change.