Turbo??

Yeah the block and heads are the same but the turbo runs right into the manifold on top of the motor. Hence the term hot air.

The 86 and 87 motors were intercooled and set up with the turbo on the passengers side blowing into an intercooler and then into the manifold.

Hot airs have a fan belt, intercooled motors use electric fans and so on.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info.

Now in theory my plan is to intercool the engine and have the engine shop fabricate a flange on the intake so I could move the turbo forward. I already changed my radiator to a griffin and got a ford taurus electric fan to replace the clutch fan.

Now wouldn't this be like having an 86-87 engine? Unless the intake is to restrictive like you say.

Did you say I can or cant use an 86-86 intake on this motor?

Your engine, specifically the block, from the 84 will work just as well as a block from an '86-7 turbo car as they can usually support 500-600 hp with good internal parts.

The issue with the 1984-5 configuration in the intake manifold and turbo placement which make it very difficult and very expensive to get it to theHP level of an intercooled 1986-7.

You have a bigger issue as you just "picked" a specific turbo to plan your build instead of defining your performance as usage goals.?

This is like taking a trip and start out, but not knowing where you want to go! ;)

Unlike a SBC or any carbed build, a turbo combination must have a group of compatible parts that will work together to give you the performance you desire. With a turbo build it is also necessary to define how you plan to use the final produce, street, strip and some other venue.

So far, what you have presented and asked cannot be adequately answered until you have some sort of plan or blueprint of what you are trying to accomplish.

Very well put....

Ok in the end my goal is to have a streetable car but also something you can play with or take to a track once in a while. I would say I would be happy with 1/4 mile times around 10.8- low 11's

Very well put....

Ok in the end my goal is to have a streetable car but also something you can play with or take to a track once in a while. I would say I would be happy with 1/4 mile times around 10.8- low 11's

86-87 motor then. Way cheaper in the long run. Scrap that turbo, go with a nice 60 with a .63 ar, Ttchip, 60# injectors, alky....don't look back.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

86-87 motor then. Way cheaper in the long run. Scrap that turbo, go with a nice 60 with a .63 ar, Ttchip, 60# injectors, alky....don't look back.

Ok now as Reggie said the block and heads are the same from 84-87 can I buy the intake and top parts from an 86-87 and use it on my block? Is that all it takes to be considered an 86-87 engine or am I missing something?

I would like to build the block I have rather than finding a different block and then building that one if possible.

No you can totally go that route. You will need the headers, down pipe, intake, intake hat, throttle body, sensors, ecm, ecm wiring, get rid of the clutch fan add electric, etc. I beleive all of that stuff is fairly available. For 500-600 HP, then you need to dip into the engine and fortify some things.