Turbo??

Vader78

Still a newbie on here and not sure the best place for this question. I posted in the turbo section but thought maybe I would have more views and suggestions in the general area.

Ok im looking at picking up a GT4088R from a friend and just want to know if anyone had any experience with that turbo on their car?
And also what AR works with our cars, this turbo has the 1.06 AR.

What does you car currently have on it to support a larger turbo?

Lets start there.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ok well im going to be building from scratch. Its an 84 with basic top goodies, intake, maf w/ translator, overall pretty stock.

Im starting the process to get it in the shop to rebuild my engine. I have not completely decided if I will make the bottom end forged or not, it will depend on funds. Im also looking to increase my injector size to 60# or more if need be. Also going to add a front mount and alky kit.

Any thing im missing for this rebuild please feel free to give input as now is the time to build it right the first time.

Well if your planning on doing a stage 2 motor that's 270+ cubic inches and trying to spin it to 7000+ then heck yea throw that sucker on

Ok...your very limited info don't give much to go on. If your engine is in fact an 84...your gonna want to swap it out for an 86-87 109 or an SG1 block. Next...forget that turbo. Your gonna want a .63 housing on a street car unless your looking at a 67HPQ or bigger. If the housing is that big...it's prob a 4 bolt housing. Your gonna need a $1000 dollar set of headers just to bolt it on. You can buy a rebuilt Te45a or a 6265 that's rated at a bit more HP. Your gonna have to decide what your bottom build will be in order to build a combo of top end items can be. If your bottom end isn't strong enough to handle what your bolting onto it...your wasting $$$.

You guys are thinking of the GT88 as in a TSO turbo. This turbo is only a 700 horse unit.

Yes its the 700hp
This is it:
image.jpg

Contact bison on this board. He'll set u straight on the right turbo for your needs.

A/R is still waaaay to big.

.63 is ideal

+1 on the 86-87 swap

You are not going to make 600 hp on a hot air motor. I agree with those saying go to an 86/87 motor, that will work.

You will need a forged rotating assembly to keep from killing the motor if you are shooting for the 6 and 700 hp range. Ported and polished iron heads and manifold are a good idea.

That turbo is massive and will not work in a street car. It may not even work in a race car with a trans brake and 5000 rpm stall converter. It is way too big.

I like Competition Turbo, they make triple ball bearing turbos that spool very well on the street or strip. You can get an .85 A/R turbo to work very well on the street with a 3200 stall speed converter.

I am working on a turbo for a TA block and heads motor that will make 800 hp. I will be using a CT4 4 inch inlet/ 3 inch outlet 67/70 turbo for it. That is a triple ball bearing cartiridge too. The stall speed on the converter will be 3200.

You can make 600hp all day with a smaller turbo and the same stall converter.

I would highly recommend an alky kit for your car too. As for a management system you can run a chip and MAF combo or look at Dynamic EFI, they have a nice kit that is reasonable. It will give the ability to tune, datalog and still get decent gas mileage when your foot is not buried in the floor.

These are all options. Others will disagree with me. You choose which way to go.

You guys are seeing "88" and thinking the TSO turbo. This is a 700 horse turbo, but it has a huge a/r on the exhaust housing.

Ok now im new to GN's and also new to turbo's I had a 70 Chevelle before I made the switch.

Now a lot of people say to switch the engine to an 86-87 but when you look to buy a replacement engine they classify all the GN years together for the block.

Other than turbo placement, ecm and intake what is the difference? And why would I not just build the crap out of the 84 engine thats in there?

You guys are seeing "88" and thinking the TSO turbo. This is a 700 horse turbo, but it has a huge a/r on the exhaust housing.

Yes, that turbo is intended for a high revving import.

Yeah the block and heads are the same but the turbo runs right into the manifold on top of the motor. Hence the term hot air.

The 86 and 87 motors were intercooled and set up with the turbo on the passengers side blowing into an intercooler and then into the manifold. They could make more hp and torque than the 84 and 85s did. 200 hp vs 245 ( which was a conservative estimate).

You cant use a hot air intake for the 86 or 87 motor it is set up differently and it is restrictive.

So in a nutshell the packaging of the turbo is completely different. So is the accessory drive on the front of the motor. Hot airs have a fan belt, intercooled motors use electric fans and so on.

There are guys building up hot air motors using what they have but you will not get to your goal of 600 hp using that set up. You can do a search of hot air build ups and you get an idea of what they are doing vs gains in HP.

Hope that helps.

Ok the turbo has a big ar because its in an rx-7 right now and the rotary needed the bigger ar.

You have to be thinking of the wrong turbo because this set up works perfect on the rx-7 which is not a race car, its a street car.

Ok now im new to GN's and also new to turbo's I ...........................
Now a lot of people say to switch the engine to an 86-87 but when you look to buy a replacement engine they classify all the GN years together for the block. ............ And why would I not just build the crap out of the 84 engine thats in there?

Your engine, specifically the block, from the 84 will work just as well as a block from an '86-7 turbo car as they can usually support 500-600 hp with good internal parts.

The issue with the 1984-5 configuration in the intake manifold and turbo placement which make it very difficult and very expensive to get it to theHP level of an intercooled 1986-7.

You have a bigger issue as you just "picked" a specific turbo to plan your build instead of defining your performance as usage goals.?

This is like taking a trip and start out, but not knowing where you want to go! ;)

Unlike a SBC or any carbed build, a turbo combination must have a group of compatible parts that will work together to give you the performance you desire. With a turbo build it is also necessary to define how you plan to use the final produce, street, strip and some other venue.

So far, what you have presented and asked cannot be adequately answered until you have some sort of plan or blueprint of what you are trying to accomplish.