I reviewed my last few posts and compared with my google photos only to realize that I don't have a lot of actual updates to post since December. The most exciting news is probably just that I've been driving the car a lot. Finally! I had a summer of straight beating on this thing and finding the weak points. It's also been on some long trips where I figured out how much it sucks to drive. lol
Let's see If I can give you all the cliff notes version what happened this year.
It all started with the coining of a new nick name which it still holds today. "Smokey" has been embarrassing me on and off all year. To make a long story short, I pulled my hair out for a couple months, and came up with a silly test. A vacuum pump on my valve cover fitting was able to make an audible leak from the very top of oil pan fitting (not visible). While keeping the vacuum on the crankcase I squirted some RTV up there and drove smoke-free through most of the spring and summer.
This wasn't the only leak but it was the main culprit since it dripped onto the exhaust. In hopes of trying to fix the smoke I replaced the oil pan gasket twice and completely redid the turbo drain hose with expensive stuff. No more hard line.
Then I finally felt victorious enough in repairs to make an improvement. It was time to grow up and get a full exhaust.
....but I wasn't about to go through that until I knew that the downpipe was in its final form. I already knew that it wasn't. It was ugly and I knew it wouldn't clear a BMR strut tower brace. I bought the brace (black not available through BMR) painted it and got to work on making yet another downpipe.
As you can see, I painted my old driver side valve cover all black to replace my passenger VC. Where my downpipe runs, an oil fill cap was not going to help. Now I just fill the oil through my catch can fitting with a funnel.
Without the fill cap in the way, I had a nice opening for a 3" pipe.
and back to the rear where I had been dreading this awful sight for years.