Turbo T Shocks Crowd at Gila Bend 1/2 Mile Race

Nick Micale

Tech Advisor
Staff member
"Sunday at the No Fly Zone 1/2 mile race at Gila Bend, AZ a 1987 Buick Turbo T shocked the crowd with a time of 153.32 mph. This well weathered Buick trashed a Dodge Viper and a couple of Corvettes with several 150 mph passes. A stock TT that apparently ran at Bonneville and Mojave knew how to compete in Land Speed Racing. One other Buick broke on the starting line. It was great
to see one of our 28 year old Buicks dust off the new expensive exotic cars. I think the guy is from Phoenix, anyone know anything about this car???"

I received a PM with the above information and though I would share this with the turbo Buick community!

This car belongs to a local owner who is the second owner of this black T-Type for over 20 years. He is an NHRA record holder from years of campaigning a Ford, but fell in love with the Buick and turned this basically stock car into a high speed record-seeking vehicle.

The engine is the stock original except for a TA-49 turbo and maintenance upgrades like timing chain, valve springs, double fuel pumps, and a stock intercooler running an old-school Red's chip.

To add another comparison of this feat, a slightly modified 2013 Shelby Mustang posted a run of 154 MPH

We are proud to have been a part of the evolution of this car over the past few years, and we expect to see him achieve another goal of a new class record this spring.

The other turbo Buick was a low 10 sec. white T which belongs to a winter visitor from the Northwest, and it is too bad that he broke the trans forward drum before he could make a pass.

Last edited:
12_zpsfy3kpyk8.jpg

Stocker with a TA49. That's awesome.

Drewster on Tapatalk

Actually it is a Limit 60 not a 49. The runs were logged which revealed lots of interesting data. The Powerlogger has been a valuable tool with this car. Reds chip really woke this car up. If the owner allows I will post some run data.

Actually it is a Limit 60 not a 49. The runs were logged which revealed lots of interesting data. The Powerlogger has been a valuable tool with this car. Reds chip really woke this car up. If the owner allows I will post some run data.

I need to talk to you about my powerlogger when you get some time. Call me in the evening time when you have a chance.

man thats awsome, i often thought about takin the t to mojave its right down the street.