Turbo T easy engine upgrades

Smiley1

Greetings - I just purchased an 87 Turbo T car. It’s an unmodified survivor with 46,000 miles. I was planning on going with a K&N cone style filter and a chip only. I’m 67 now and my days of beating on GNs are over. I’d just like a little more pep. Anyway, can someone give me advice on which K&N system I should go with? Also, which chip should I use to make the car streetable but still get a little chirp shifting into second. Thanks in advance! Doug.

if you are not beating on it and the turbo is stock you will gain nothing removing the OE filter. I do believe the OE filter has been low 11's. And rain nor snow will fall the filter.
I do agree with SCOOBY on the rest of the list. This will be good insurance to make the car run properly and reliable
It has enough power stock to chip the tires. Tire chirping is a function of the transmission shift programming.

Realistically the stock car is going nowhere at 15 psi, aside from Scoobs recommendations , best thing to do is install Razors alky kit with the stock setup and up the boost to 23 psi and there will be smiles on your face.
Its not a hard thing to do, doesn't de value the car, easily removed when you want to.

Realistically the stock car is going nowhere at 15 psi, aside from Scoobs recommendations , best thing to do is install Razors alky kit with the stock setup and up the boost to 23 psi and there will be smiles on your face.
Its not a hard thing to do, doesn't de value the car, easily removed when you want to.
👍
But he will need a shift kit at least for the trans😉

I’m 67 now and my days of beating on GNs are over. I’d just like a little more pep
Timing/Boost is the only way to wake it up or give it more pep.
That can only be done with octane.
You can reduce timing and add boost with alky injection.
Or try reducing timing and adding a couple of lbs of boost on pump octane and looking for knock and see how you like it.
Its safer to add alky because of the cooling and better octane
Think of it as a blanket.
I would highly recommend a shift kit and trans cooler upgrade at that point.
You will have to choose
If you dont want to do anything like posted above
Leave it alone😉

Timing/Boost is the only way to wake it up or give it more pep.
That can only be done with octane.
You can reduce timing and add boost with alky injection.
Or try reducing timing and adding a couple of lbs of boost on pump octane and looking for knock and see how you like it.
Its safer to add alky because of the cooling and better octane
Think of it as a blanket.
I would highly recommend a shift kit and trans cooler upgrade at that point.
You will have to choose
If you dont want to do anything like posted above
Leave it alone😉
Thank you everybody! I didn’t expect so many people to be immediately helpful. I test drove the car a few miles on Monday and only really hit the loud pedal once. Ran like a stock turbo car. It’s supposed to be delivered to Houston next week and I’ll tool around a couple days first. Thanks again.

Thank you everybody! I didn’t expect so many people to be immediately helpful. I test drove the car a few miles on Monday and only really hit the loud pedal once. Ran like a stock turbo car. It’s supposed to be delivered to Houston next week and I’ll tool around a couple days first. Thanks again.
Don't drive it till you verify everything is all well via the SM.

funny thing when I bought my GN, it was not that quick. I found a nice vacuum plug on the boost controller instead of the little filter. That woke up my little turbo.

funny thing when I bought my GN, it was not that quick. I found a nice vacuum plug on the boost controller instead of the little filter. That woke up my little turbo.
Eric’s turbotweak chips disable the solenoid I’m pretty sure so when I changed the chip I just went tuner style with a adjustable controller inline

Eric’s turbotweak chips disable the solenoid I’m pretty sure so when I changed the chip I just went tuner style with a adjustable controller inline
Im sure the TT chip uses the OE boost solenoid. but lots of ways to control boost. so if you get a TT chip and matching injectors, witch I think you should.
Yes ALKY is the best way to really wake it up.
Did you have a GN before your Turbo T?

Check your valve springs- Worn out if original. Bet the engine wont go above 3900 rpm in third. Use comp 981 and resore rpm in third which is alot of power.