Turbo sucked in MAF sensor screens?

1986_GNAT

20170625_144156.jpg
20170701_163524.jpg
20170701_163519.jpg
In may i posted about having blue smoke on my exhaust so i removed the intake side to inspect turbo for play amd there was none! Now i had to take it out again to re-install my alternator since it had taken a crap. i glanced at the turbo impeller and i see chipped/blades...fml!

i Asked a fellow GN owner about this (vader6) and he tells me to check the MAF and look in there to see if anything got loose.... when i look at the MAF i see no screen!! please see pictures attached and let me know if screens are capable of this kind of damage... unfortunately im SOL right now to replace any components due to a funeral expense i had to make 2 weeks ago. I just cant seem to catch a break with this car at the moment!

The screens are on the inlet side of the MAF so I'd say it isn't possible to have them come out and get ingested by the turbo. I suspect the screens were removed at some time previously.

Neal

Judging my that restrictive barrel in there I'm pretty sure that's an aftermarket parts store MAF.

That doesn't necessarily mean the screen wasn't fixed properly, but that part number has never been offered on a car with a warranty

On the upside, that should be a repetitively cheap fix (for a turbo failure). I'd give Bison a yell and see what he can do as far as a new wheel and a balance.

Check the intercooler for trash.....DO NOT attempt to drive/start the car, until the problem has been identified.
That wheel is so far out of balance, it can shed the blades at hi rpm..

What Earl said about it being a aftermkt part.
What air cleaner do you have? It didn't happen to have a metal button on the end, did it?

Also check your Air Temp sensor. Back in the day the tip broke off mine and went through the turbo.

oh wow! now that you mention it, i just searched an oem pic of our air temp sensor and mine seems to be missing the plastic from right above the sensor ball, down!
So this piece of plastic can cause that damage?

Yep. I recommend on any car with no mass air screens that you let the air temp sensor hang in the engine compartment.

With an aftermarket ECU the sensor should be installed in the intake manifold though I have seen where people have left the in the air cleaner and this is what can happen.

oh wow! now that you mention it, i just searched an oem pic of our air temp sensor and mine seems to be missing the plastic from right above the sensor ball, down!
So this piece of plastic can cause that damage?
a freindsTE44 recently had the compressor wheel destroyed similar to yours and what was odd was not even a scratch on the compressor inlet , found the IAT sensor cage was missing and he was mafless so no screens to catch it ...made a call to bison for a new chra with wheels and and swapped the exhaust housing

your sensor is stock and someone removed the screens, nothing to stop that little cage form getting to the wheel

a freindsTE44 recently had the compressor wheel destroyed similar to yours and what was odd was not even a scratch on the compressor inlet , found the IAT sensor cage was missing and he was mafless so no screens to catch it ...made a call to bison for a new chra with wheels and and swapped the exhaust housing

your sensor is stock and someone removed the screens, nothing to stop that little cage form getting to the wheel

That seems to be what happened to mine. You said my maf is stock, but others say it's aftermarket, are you sure?

I think there saying not OEM GM, it appears to to be stock looking for our 86-87 TR. Dose it have a GM part # on it?
Maybe Reds 100 required the screens to be removed.
Translator and a new MAF are the norm,not because the OEM wasn't any good but because the OEM MAF that work are hard to find.
Reds 100 I believe is for 100 octane fuel ,its also time to get a new chip
Its not always cheap to keep these running but there is lots of help,and the smile it puts on our face is worth every dime.

A stock GM shouldn't have that restrictive barrel over the film sensor. That looks like a 'stock replacement', not a stock MAF. Without that barell to act as a somewhat guide for the air, it won't meter worth a damn without any screens.

Either way, when it comes to metering air, they're both crap these days. The parts store units don't care, and the GMs are just too old now.