Turbo Snowmobile in summer... WTF?

Daniel Jost

Squirtin six
Well after getting fed up with my snowmobile's carbs always being out of sync and hard starting along with bad fuel economy from the pipes and high clutching, I decided to take another approach when I found myself bored this winter... I got back from a snowmobiling trip and was upset after getting pulled on the top end by a friend's new Switchback and all the starting issues I have had. I pulled all the carb and ignition stuff out and decided to go to a radical route, a EFI Turbo 2-stroke Triple.

To keep the story short I installed a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank with an LS1 crank sensor, Honda 70 amp alternator (Lots of custom fab), 190LPH external pump, Polaris throttle bodies, injectors, and fuel rail/reg. Custom fabricated log intake, Garret GT1752 Turbo, Custom fabbed exhaust, Ford MAF, Home built filter/reg/cooler system flowed by a Tilton oil pump, Gel Cell Battery, and LS1 coils. Of course all of this was controlled Via a harness I custom made and the MS3x that I borrowed from the GN with Bluetooth wireless logging/tuning.

The sled utilizes Sequential LS1 CNP, Sequential Fuel Injection, and a fully adjustable timing map (Unlike Stock CDI) It also has tw0-step launch control and I will be adding a very crude alky injection system to up the boost from 6# to something of more fun :) Fast forward 5 months from when the project started, there is no snow, it's 85*, I have the project pretty well completed and have a base tune I came up with loaded in the ECM and want to test it out. I made a couple very short throttle burst (Can stay on it too long because its so hot out) on a base tune with low timing and heavy fueling and it still pulled great. Kind of funny because it reminds me of the Buick, stab the throttle then hang on and wait for the boost! :) The best part is the whole setup cost me just under $300 since my friends gave me parts they weren't using, they were sitting around, or in the case of the ECM it's borrowed from the GN.

,Dan

hello; Nice job. Just think of the power that engine will make with all that the cold air getting in. My TB likes it when it's not summer temps so I'm sure you're gonna fly.
Be easy.
have fun
IBBY

that is badass
i wonder if the same can be done to a jet-ski???
If you really are interested in a turbo jet ski, contact Hartline Perf., Cal has a turbo on his jet ski and it's sick...he has all the parts and info on how to make it all happen.
I think he went over 100mph with it.....

Yes there are guys on the megasquirt forums with turbo 2-stroke jet skis. I think all of them are using MAF as well since 2-strokes dont make much vacuum and they have a really nasty VE table due to their nature.

,Dan

dan, if you need another polaris 650 , i have one with a wahl track nice port work, decker pipes,
engine was a 93 fuel inj, i converted it to 46mm carbs, sled is in good cond,
comes with a inclosed alum, two place trailer, cheeppp. oc,,

i'm impressed, you have skills man! I'm a 20 year plus jet-skiier, but my stuff doesnt go like that

If you really are interested in a turbo jet ski, contact Hartline Perf., Cal has a turbo on his jet ski and it's sick...he has all the parts and info on how to make it all happen.
I think he went over 100mph with it.....
NOT turbo, but an EFI conversion to a OE Carb'd one.

Forzfed, It does not have a welded crank... Yet. If I run into issues with durability I will do it then. There is a guy using the stock ECM on his on a snowmobile forum I'm a part of, and he has gone up to 15PSI with no issues. I am keeping it conservative at 7PSI since I have no IC.

Thanks for the props guys I have a lot of work into it and it started out as just being a "Quick" project... Lol

,Dan

Realy nice job!! Turbo sleds are addictive my friend, I have a PT6262 on my race sled and PT5130 on the trail sled. Have a good time and stay safe. FYI alky works great on them crank up the boost :)
Mike

Mike,
I was very surprised with how fast this thing came into boost! Especially having a really hot ambient air temp. It excites me for trails!

,Dan

My experience with 2 strokes is that they need alot more turbo especially turbine housing or wheel than you would think sice they have twice as many power cycles as a 4 stroke and back pressure really kills them when it goes up. I can get 8 PSI on the 2 step with a 6262 with a 1056CC motor, spool is not a problem
Mike

On the trail sled we use the factory Arctic cat ECU with 650CC injectors (2 per cylinder) on the race sled we are using a Big Stuff 3 with 1000 CC injectors again 2 per cylinder
Mike

I did my first start up on speed density and the MAP signal was really rough/not good vacuum so I went to MAF and it has really good run quality now. I'm curious on how you got around idle issues with SD on your 2-stroke sled (accumulator)?

,Dan

We did not have to do anything special except some tuning I have heard of guys with smaller motors having some issues, the one I was working on was a 1400CC two cylinder it ran pretty well once the fuel was right