Turbo rule question

TURBOTIMMER

I’m thinking of running THS in BG with my WH1 this year. I have an old school te45a turbo. The cover looks like an E cover, but its got a 3 1/2” outside diameter sleeve on the inlet side and a 2 1/2” sleeve on the outlet. Will this turbo be legal for the class?

I’m thinking of running THS in BG with my WH1 this year. I have an old school te45a turbo. The cover looks like an E cover, but its got a 3 1/2” outside diameter sleeve on the inlet side and a 2 1/2” sleeve on the outlet. Will this turbo be legal for the class?

Put a 3X2 E cover on that TE45A turbo and come out and compete with us- All rule are subject for a one race waiver depending on what all the THS racer decide on what they want to waiver at each event. If you have a 3X2 cover go ahead and install it- If not you can take a change on wether the THS racers by committee vote to determine if that cover will be allow to race. We have waivered several rules in the past for racers with unique curcumstances. So you can take a change on rule waiver approval or install a E cover. Thanks for your interest in competing in the THS class and hopefully we will see there in October.

Haulz A

So after rereading the rules, it says an E cover which this is. The sleeves don’t change anything but the sizes of the hoses that connect everything together. Really no different than using a step hose. Not trying to be difficult because I’m gonna try and have my car ready for bowling green, but I don’t wanna spend another $160 on a cover for a dinosaur turbo that is only gonna be temporary.

Attachments

• A1E03D3F-7DE9-44EE-B277-41EB4EF4AE29.jpeg
    A1E03D3F-7DE9-44EE-B277-41EB4EF4AE29.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 10AA4446-5551-4FDE-B079-79AD50C78E7C.jpeg
    10AA4446-5551-4FDE-B079-79AD50C78E7C.jpeg
    679 KB · Views: 88
So after rereading the rules, it says an E cover which this is. The sleeves don’t change anything but the sizes of the hoses that connect everything together. Really no different than using a step hose. Not trying to be difficult because I’m gonna try and have my car ready for bowling green, but I don’t wanna spend another $160 on a cover for a dinosaur turbo that is only gonna be temporary.

The rules does state that the turbo compressor cover should be no larger than 3X2 which is an E cover that precision/limit engineering turbo's come with- Not a modified cover. If you really want to run the THS class in BG- Im sure the we can locate you an E cover to race with for the event. William Avila has spare E covers which he will would probably be glad to loan you for the event- so turbo cover will not be an issue anymore. Bring your GN on down to the event and have some fun running it with the rest of the THS racers.

Haulz A.

The rules does state that the turbo compressor cover should be no larger than 3X2 which is an E cover that precision/limit engineering turbo's come with- Not a modified cover.

Haulz A.

Here is the actual cover rule #46....
46. The compressor housing must have a three (3) inch INLET and a two (2) inch OUTLET (i.e. 3” x 2”).

Darrow the rules do not state the the cover cannot be modified as you have stated. The cover is an actual E which is a 3x2 cover....

Tim what are the measured sizes of the inlet and outlet?

Is the 3x2 measured by ID or OD?

Last edited:
Here is the actual cover rule #46....
46. The compressor housing must have a three (3) inch INLET and a two (2) inch OUTLET (i.e. 3” x 2”).

Darrow the rules do not state the the cover cannot be modified as you have stated. The cover is an actual E which is a 3x2 cover....

Tim what are the measured sizes of the inlet and outlet?

Is the 3x2 measured by ID or OD?

Clint,
The Internal diameter ( ID ) of the 3X2 turbo cover is three inch inlet and 2 inch oulet. I dont know how large of an outlet/inlet that he has on his turbo or what type of performance advantage that it would give him- I've offered to find him a 3X2 cover to race with if he wants it- so I not trying to hinder anyone from racing in the THS class. I'm extending a helping hand.

Haulz A

Darrow, I will take pics with a tape measure when I get home. I appreciate the offer of trying to find me another cover. I just don’t want to have to scramble to change stuff around once I get to BG. This car is gonna be a hodge podge of stuff from 3 of my cars.

Darrow, I will take pics with a tape measure when I get home. I appreciate the offer of trying to find me another cover. I just don’t want to have to scramble to change stuff around once I get to BG. This car is gonna be a hodge podge of stuff from 3 of my cars.

Turbo
  1. All turbochargers, including billet wheel turbochargers, meeting the below listed specifications available prior to January 1st of 2013 are allowed.
  2. One (1) 3-bolt turbo mounted and oriented in the factory stock position is allowed.
  3. The largest turbo compressor available up to and including 67mm is allowed. The maximum opening size anywhere on the compressor housing inducer must be less than 68.5mm. One (1) single compressor opening only is allowed. No internal ported shrouds are allowed.
  4. The compressor housing must have a three (3) inch INLET and a two (2) inch OUTLET (i.e. 3” x 2”).
  5. The turbine housing must be a 3-bolt housing that was commercially available on or before January 1st of 2013. The factory stock appearing turbine exhaust to downpipe connection must be used.
  6. Any wastegate configuration is acceptable
Tim,
Above is what the rules states- which has not change. I will help anyone and welcome anyone that wants to race in the THS class. We would love to have you on board- so hit me up, Dday, Clint, Patrick Hester or Patrick Broughton anytime you have any question concerning the class. One of us definitely will has a solution. Anybody can cause a problem but only few people are willing and able to solve a problem my friend.

Haulz A

Had this concern been clarified yet? Tim, if you need an E cover get a hold of me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Had this concern been clarified yet? Tim, if you need an E cover get a hold of me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I appreciate the offer, but I don’t think my car will be together in time for the event. I found more problems once I got my motor apart, and now I’m at the mercy of my machine shop.