Turbo Rule Discussion

Vibrant makes these. 30.00 fix
20150318_150144.jpg

So, I've got people building cars asking what turbo to buy.

Is the 68 going to be the replacement for the 67 and the 72 the replacement for the 71?

I was going with the +1 rule to make the 68 and 72 legal for the weights. Shouldn't be a problem letting any 3 bolt in. I think 76 is the biggest that can be had with that housing.
Give the weight break to 68 and smaller.

I just need to know what to tell people, looks like there will be a few new cars at BG this year.

As of now I am considering allowing the 68 and 72 to be the replacements and to carry the same weights as the obsolete models.

We can vote on other options after BG, or vote now if thats what everyone wants.

At what point are we going to stop getting jacked by PTE? Next year they will want 3,000 for A 3 bolt. If we went 4 bolt that would give us more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking at other manufacturers tonite, Turbonetics is the only other option for a buick housing.

I would have to get in touch with precision to see if they still put those together. The 68 exhaust wheel is gone, you could probably get a 76-70 in a Buick housing. I sold my 68 to a guy that had a three bolt 76 and his car is faster with the 68 now.

At what point are we going to stop getting jacked by PTE? Next year they will want 3,000 for A 3 bolt. If we went 4 bolt that would give us more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be my concern. If someone holds the cards, they set the availability and $$$. If there are more companies to shop from, they will have to be more competitive.

The Buick housings are only available from turbonetics and pte. Were handcuffed there.

Right, thats one of the reasons i was thinking of a 4 bolt. So we are not so locked in to limited companies and possibly higher cost.

The biggest drawback to that change is having to do a new wastegate and downpipe setup. Plus new headers or an adaptor.

If we ever open it up beyond the 3 bolt, we should allow any housing, there are a lot of good v-band housings available now.

The biggest drawback to that change is having to do a new wastegate and downpipe setup. Plus new headers or an adaptor.

Understood, but of anyone is thinking about building a XTSM car they are spending $$$ for equipment that is limited. At some point, someone has to be that guy that says, "I know I have this stuff for my turbo, but this might be a better option for some getting in." As we are seeing, nothing stays the same forever.