Turbo Rule Discussion

sackracing

Staff member
The 70 and 71 turbo has been discontinued by Precision. Our rules are written around this turbo, with the weight break for the 67.
How do we proceed now?
The 68 is the replacement for the 71, according to Precision.

The 70 and 71 turbo has been discontinued by Precision. Our rules are written around this turbo, with the weight break for the 67.
How do we proceed now?

Is the 68 ready to go in a three bolt housing? In other words can a guy have one in his hands next week?

That seems to be a mystery. And it's unproven with a three bolt housing, all the power numbers have been with a four.

How do we proceed now?

I still cant believe Precision did that. This had to be one of the most popular turbos they made for the Buick's. I was going through some paperwork and I have bought 6 of those myself since 2009. Alot of guys I deal with want the biggest legal turbo allowed for racing TSM. Even if they don't race the class, if they ever want to class race at an event the car its legal. TSM was in my opinion as big this past year at BG then it has ever been. I was planning to buy 2 more of these turbo's this spring!

Also from what I was told the replacement 68 is only available in dual BB.. making it a well north of a 2 grand unit. Is this true do you know Mike?

its for sure going to make less power with the three bolt housing. my guess is it will be close to the 71 or a bit higher in a 3 bolt.

there is no 3 bolt 72. The problem is the 68 turbine wheel is no more. So we are down to the expensive 6870 in BB only. I just got off the phone with them and am attempting to get a 7170 in 3 bolt journal bearing to see if that is a possible they can build.
Mike

I believe before long that they will phase out the three bolt housings all together.

I guess we need to see how it all plays out this year and discuss it over the winter.

they just did the housing for the 70 turbine and bolt on turbos for Buick and others are a good part of their business so I believe that as long as there is decent sales of 3 bolts they will make them. 4 bolts fix everything and the guys that have 3 bolts now have a fairly easy upgrade path if they chose to do it but performance will get better so it will almost force the issue.
Mike

Turbonetics GTK 850 is a 7268. I have one for sale if anyone is interested

Bryan

Turbonetics GTK 850 is a 7268. I have one for sale if anyone is interested

Bryan

I thought the GTK850 was a 72mm cast compressor wheel with a turbonetics "S" trim turbine wheel. It seems to be rated about 100hp less than the 71HPQ (875 in T4 trim).

It is hard to believe that they would discontinue such a popular turbo. I have bought at least 3 in the last few years.

They just came out with a new four bolt 67 that's supposed to support 1200 hp