Turbo Riviera Owners Unite!

Re: Selling my '84 T-Type Riviera

Originally posted by Turbo Riviera

Not looking for a ton of money out of it, just want it to go to someone good.

Too bad you you'r selling, but we all have our reasons. Would buy but my car hobby situation is already out of control! Nice car, different. Any chance of finding out how your differential is set up? Looking into retro fitting a Corvette C5 diff to TH325-4L but if things do not go well, would like another option.

One Used 1984 Riviera Differential for sale! Equipped with custom locking mechanism... If you act now, I will include a really nice 1984 T-Type Riviera! FREE!!!

Make offer!

Just kidding... Two words: "Powertraxx Lockrite" Retrofitted and shimmed to work. :D Get the one used for GM 7.5" rear ends. You have to use about 1/4" of pinion shims on each side to get it to sit right, but I've had it in there for over 500 1/4 mile passes and have never had a minutes trouble with it! Good luck!

One Used 1984 Riviera Differential for sale! Equipped with custom locking mechanism... If you act now, I will include a really nice 1984 T-Type Riviera! FREE!!!

Make offer!

Just kidding... Two words: "Powertraxx Lockrite" Retrofitted and shimmed to work. :D Get the one used for GM 7.5" rear ends.

Good luck on selling the cars, hopefully to a good home! No emblems on either car, intentional? That's my preference, clean!

On the differential, are the factory ring and pinion used with the Powertraxx diff, since the factory gears are 8.02? and if so or not, is there some adapting of the axles shafts to the Powertraxx diff?

TRiv,

Both cars have been recently painted, and like you I prefer the smooth clean look...

The powertraxx splines line up with the stock axles just fine. Which is why it was chosen. It doesn't fit the carrier the way it should though. It's too narrow to sit properly. That's why you put the shims in on either side. The hardest part of getting it to fit is getting the ring gear off of the carrier.

To get the ring gear back on and off, you could use a hydraulic press. I chose a little heat encouragement instead. I used my kitchen oven to heat the ring gear to a point where it would easily go on the carrier that I put in my freezer to shrink it. :D

Works quite well! It's shouldn't be used for a street driven front wheel drive Riviera however. It's a bit scary on the highways while turning! :eek:

The only thing you need to work out is some way to retain the driver's side axle shaft in the carrier. The original snap ring won't work when the shims are installed. Personally I haven't used anything here, and haven't had a problem with the axle falling out.

Works quite well! It's shouldn't be used for a street driven front wheel drive Riviera however. It's a bit scary on the highways while turning! :eek:

Thanks Scott, that info is in the right direction for what I am looking for. I will guess that when you say it is scary when turning it is because of the tuning action of the wheels in addition to the action of the locker diff, since I am installing motor/trans/diff mid engine location and the wheels will not be turned, the drive should not be as bad, similar to a locker diff in a Corvette IRS. Thanks for the info.:D

I own a Riv T Type, too

I've been away from the internet and this forum for a while due to moving, only having dial-up, and just being busy.

Anyway, I have an 85 Riv T Type. I've owned it since Feb of '99, but have only driven it about 5 miles, if that much.

I've replaced all the vacuum lines, rebuilt the turbo, repaired the headers, rewired and installed a 86/87 coil and ignition module. It will idle but dies whenever I give it gas. Wish I could get it back on the road.

Its dark blue with a blue velour interior. I recently purchased a new (used) dash to replace my badly cracked one. (The Colorado environment is very dry).

Phil Cooley

Re: I own a Riv T Type, too

Originally posted by cool4u

Anyway, I have an 85 Riv T Type. I've owned it since Feb of '99, but have only driven it about 5 miles, if that much.

Its dark blue with a blue velour interior. I recently purchased a new (used) dash to replace my badly cracked one. (The Colorado environment is very dry).

Phil Cooley

Nice color combo, hope you get the trouble fixed, have you checked any error codes?

Re: I own a Riv T Type, too

I've been away from the internet and this forum for a while due to moving, only having dial-up, and just being busy.

I've replaced all the vacuum lines, rebuilt the turbo, repaired the headers, rewired and installed a 86/87 coil and ignition module. It will idle but dies whenever I give it gas. Wish I could get it back on the road.

Phil Cooley

Phil, when is the last time you put good gasoline in that car, you may want to check Mass air flow sensor,
DO you know how too short out your ALDL(assembly line data link) connector to read the flash codes from the Service engine soon lamp?

Good luck and Regards

Blackhawk 38

Turbo Riviera dies

TRiv and Blackhawk 38,

I haven't done anything to my Riv since June. (Its a third vehicle and having it run is not critical). Undoubtedly, it does need some fresh fuel--however, when I tried it last, the fuel was fresh.
I have rebuilt the turbo and replaced all the vacuum lines. It also has a rebuilt MAF on it. I have another MAF from an 84 parts car--swapping makes no difference. I've also put in a different set of injectors (used but with only 3,000 miles), plugs, plug wires, 86/87 coil and ignition module, new fuel pressure regulator, rebuilt ECM, and new fuel pump.
By the way, I do know how to check for codes and last time I checked, I didn't have any. I do have a factory shop manual--I just need to go back, take my time and troubleshoot it all over again.

:(

Turbo Riviera dies

TRiv and Blackhawk 38,

I haven't done anything to my Riv since June. (Its a third vehicle and having it run is not critical). Undoubtedly, it does need some fresh fuel--however, when I tried it last, the fuel was fresh.
I have rebuilt the turbo and replaced all the vacuum lines. It also has a rebuilt MAF on it. I have another MAF from an 84 parts car--swapping makes no difference. I've also put in a different set of injectors (used but with only 3,000 miles), plugs, plug wires, 86/87 coil and ignition module, new fuel pressure regulator, rebuilt ECM, and new fuel pump.
By the way, I do know how to check for codes and last time I checked, I didn't have any. I do have a factory shop manual--I just need to go back, take my time and troubleshoot it all over again.

:(

Hi Phil, When your car dies is it hard to restart or does it start right up. A common problem with Rivs is the location of the ECM. Some cars develope a water leak in the A-pillar area and water will drip down the wires and sit on top of the ECM connectors. On one of mine and another one that I know of the pin for the fuel pump(orange wire, in the very corner of the connector) would corode and either the pin would break clear leaving a no start problem or it would rub with the vibration and do the same thing yours is doing.

Eric Fisher

question about T-Riv's

Hey guys i just took a look at the pics of that 85 Riveria on ebay. The motor looks pretty well the same as a hotair GN, with the exception ob the turbo. What is the difference between the Turbo regal turbo and the t-riv turbo in 85? is it the same stock hp as the Turbo Regals? And why did they use a different turbo on the Riverias?

Re: question about T-Riv's

Originally posted by BuickTV6
What is the difference between the Turbo regal turbo and the t-riv turbo in 85? is it the same stock hp as the Turbo Regals? And why did they use a different turbo on the Riverias?

According to 84-5 Buick sales brochures, at least, Riviera same as GN/T Regal @ 200HP, though in stock trim Rivieras said to be about a second slower in the 1/4. As for the different turbo (IMO thru observation), because of the front wheel drive configuration, the Regal turbo set-up will not fit. Looking under a Riv hood the engine is 2 1/2" off center towards the passenger side, and engine gets real close to air condition box at firewall, no room left to run crossover/downpipes there, also the TH325-4L trans will not allow GN driver side header or crossover pipe to work at all. The Rivs have there own fit design kind of not the best flowing either. Other differences include oil pan ( to clear FWD axle), computer and PROM, camshaft (same as 83- carb turbo Rivs),motor mount design, oil drain to block similar to IC GNs only at back of block.

Other than the above, the motors are the same including intake and accessories. Can't explain the actual difference in the turbos though (they are),forgot explanation and never actually looked at them side by side, anyone?

All turbo Riviera owners: think it would be a good idea to refreash this post once in awhile to keep our list of owners in one place? I see some members bring up old posts on lounge, etc. and keep thread alive. I'll do so when it moves down a page or so to keep it going, comments?:D

compressor wheel trim

Originally posted by TRiv
According to 84-5 Buick sales brochures, at least, Riviera same as GN/T Regal @ 200HP, though in stock trim Rivieras said to be about a second slower in the 1/4. As for the different turbo (IMO thru observation), because of the front wheel drive configuration, the Regal turbo set-up will not fit. Looking under a Riv hood the engine is 2 1/2" off center towards the passenger side, and engine gets real close to air condition box at firewall, no room left to run crossover/downpipes there, also the TH325-4L trans will not allow GN driver side header or crossover pipe to work at all. The Rivs have there own fit design kind of not the best flowing either. Other differences include oil pan ( to clear FWD axle), computer and PROM, camshaft (same as 83- carb turbo Rivs),motor mount design, oil drain to block similar to IC GNs only at back of block.

Other than the above, the motors are the same including intake and accessories. Can't explain the actual difference in the turbos though (they are),forgot explanation and never actually looked at them side by side, anyone?

All turbo Riviera owners: think it would be a good idea to refreash this post once in awhile to keep our list of owners in one place? I see some members bring up old posts on lounge, etc. and keep thread alive. I'll do so when it moves down a page or so to keep it going, comments?:D

I have confirmed this with JOHN Craig of Limit engineering, that the 84-85 turbo regal used a 60 trim t-3 compressor wheel and that the Riviera used a (57 trim) compressor wheel, Compressor housing are exactly the same, Exhaust housing are different, with the same turbine exhaust wheel.
Also , the GN picks up it manifold vaccum from the Rear of the intake on passenger side , where as the Riviera has a port in the front of the intake, In both intances the unused port is plugged.

Regards

85 Riv Turbo--engine dies

Eric,

Right now (or actually the last time I tried it) it would start and idle fine, but as soon as you gave it any throttle, it would die. Once it dies, it will start right back up.
I was having fuel pressure problems till I put in the new regulator.

Phil

Re: 85 Riv Turbo--engine dies

Eric,

Right now (or actually the last time I tried it) it would start and idle fine, but as soon as you gave it any throttle, it would die. Once it dies, it will start right back up.
I was having fuel pressure problems till I put in the new regulator.

Phil

PHIL, sounds more like that your fuel pump is not running after start up,
OIL pressure switch controls the fuel pump during run, Start fuel pump operation is controlled by ECM to control fuel pump relay for just a few seconds
IDLE low oil pressure or out of spec or defective switch could be the problem.

THat Brown wire in the 3 pin fuel tank harness is the fuel pump supply, you could test that to see if it is getting 12 volt power there after start up during run,
Check that plug that plugs into your oil pressure switch to the left of your water pump behind the radiator return hose.

IS your oil/choke light comming on during KEY ON before start ?

REGARDS, Dave

Hello Dave, Are you sure about turbo wheels? The only reason I ask is the CHRA is the same for both a Regal and Riv so the wheels cant be different. Dont forget the Riv was rated at 190 hp because they came with the old carb cam instead of the SFI cam.

Eric

TURBO compressor wheels

Originally posted by turbofish38
Hello Dave, Are you sure about turbo wheels? The only reason I ask is the CHRA is the same for both a Regal and Riv so the wheels cant be different. Dont forget the Riv was rated at 190 hp because they came with the old carb cam instead of the SFI cam.

Eric

Hi Eric, UPS just delivered my 1262500 donuts, thanks

When I burnt up my stock turbo a year and half ago, John Craig sent me A TBO 330 center section, I measured the compressor wheel on the new CHRA and my old Wheel when I got car back from the repair shop.
THE wheels were different size on the Inducer part.

Also , IF you go to HOLLEY REPLACEMENT TURBOCHARGER cross reference web page, they list different part numbers between the 84-85 Riviera and 84-85 Regal CHRA .

THe RIVIERA center housing rotating assembley is a TB0 332 , while the REGAL IS A TBO 330 on another cross page, I think it is Action Salvage web site for replacelment turbochargers,
Also , John Craig re-arrimed this when I talked to him a few weeks back.

Eric, what do you know about 25516903 EGR filter, is this still a good number?

Regards Dave V

Turbo Riviera Oil Pressure Switch

Eric,

I forgot, I have replaced the oil pressure switch, also. I'll have to check on the 12V wire to the fuel pump, though.

Phil