Turbo Riviera Owners Unite!

RagTopRiv

Turbo Riviera Brother
I'd like to extend an olive branch to all owners of '84-5 Riviera T-Types and Convertible Turbos. We elite brothers are so few. If you own one of these rare Rivs, then please sound off here so that we may easily contact each other with questions, comments, praise, etc. I just bought another Convertible Turbo here:

http://www.chicagocarexchange.com/inventory_show.asp?stknum=3020

Got a really nice price for it, too (much lower than what they were asking!). My other Conv. Turbo can be viewed at CARDOMAIN:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag..._brand_query=model=Riviera&tree=Buick Riviera

I'm giving it to my brother for his birthday (he's been drooling over it for years). Might as well keep them in the family, right?

Thanks!

Hello Brother, Count me in. My name is Eric Fisher turbofish38@hotmail.com. I bought my first turbo Riv in 90. Since than I have had 6 hot airs and 3 carb-turbos in one form or another. My only running Riv is currently down while I freshen the motor and do an entire remake on the exterior. Its an 85 that will look like an 83 Indy Pace Car replica with some minor modifcations. My 85 I dont drive to often anymore and is also in need of a restoration. I've done just about everything and anything on a Riv so I would like to think I am an expert when it comes to these cars. Hows that saying go"once we were many, now we a few", well maybe it should go "once we were few and still getting fewer". Blackhawk38 and Scott North(Triv??) are the only other turbo Rivs I can think of at this time but I to would like to get a head count. I can say since I have a GN and a T-type Riv that the Riv is more fun to drive because its such a sleeper. Its easier to get in a stoplight GrandPrix becuase no one knows how fast they are. My favorite victims are the Impala SS guys. Talk to you later,Eric

Originally posted by turbofish38
My only running Riv is currently down while I freshen the motor and do an entire remake on the exterior. Its an 85 that will look like an 83 Indy Pace Car replica with some minor modifcations.

Ah yes, the Riviera XX. Nice cars. Are you doing any work on the interior, cause I believe the XX's had genuine woodgrain appointments and leather/suade seats. Very posh. I've thought about doing something similar to that with my convertible. I think they were the first cars ever to offer a gold package... Anyway, I'd love to see some pics of your Rivs!

-Chris Lamothe

Why yes the interior is getting the same treatment. I lucked out and found 2 XX cars at U-Pull-It and one was a low mileage non-smoker with a mint enough interior complete with the walnut steering wheel and walnut veneer dash. What a shame to let a rare car like a XX go to the great crusher in the sky. BTW all mine are hardtops, I never can seem to come up with the funds when I see a turbo-convert for sale. The walnut veneer and leather interior was also available in 1985 on what was called RPO W15 Luxury Interior Package. Only 697 Rivs got that option and I've owned 3 of those cars and still have a complete interior that I would like to put in another T-Type if I ever find one thats in good shape. The only pictures I have are just odds and ends and what I would say as nothing special,but if I get the time I'll scan some and post them in the future. Eric

85 T-type Riviera here, medium gray metallic, factory astroroof, Bose stereo, and most factory options. Only mods are 160* thermostat and blocked throttle body lines. Unsure of true mileage, odo. says 130K but car doesn't look it, original paint still intact, shines, not perfect but looks good, and runs great! interior almost mint except for headliner. Currently buying parts to convert to 87 intercooled set up.

Nice convertibles you have there! Only a few turbo Riviera owners here ( or anywhere for that matter!) , no way to post a list here ( that we can refer to later), I have been writing down the few I know of for a list and reference, fortunately most drivetrain info can be found with the Regal/GN guys, though our cars have a few of ther own issues. Turbofish 38, how are things? Will have to talk some day about some of the Riviera odd stuff like axles, differentials, bigger brakes, etc. We were thinking about heavier duty stuff, I know blackhawk38 would be interested also, Ragtopriv may be looking for the same. We will have to come up with some combo that can get our cars closer to Grand National performance.

Originally posted by turbofish38
The walnut veneer and leather interior was also available in 1985 on what was called RPO W15 Luxury Interior Package. Only 697 Rivs got that option and I've owned 3 of those cars and still have a complete interior that I would like to put in another T-Type if I ever find one thats in good shape.

Eric, I did a little research on the '85 W15 and came up with this:

http://members.tripod.com/~tishdish/index-15.html

It looks nicer than the XX's! I've been looking exclusively for an XX to use the veneer for years, now at least I can also look for the two-tone '85's. Thanks for the tip! The veneer on the doors: are they permenantly attached to the door panel or can they be removed from the door panel? I'd rather keep my burgundy door panels...

-Chris Lamothe

Originally posted by TRiv
Currently buying parts to convert to 87 intercooled set up.

Will have to talk some day about some of the Riviera odd stuff like axles, differentials, bigger brakes, etc. We were thinking about heavier duty stuff, I know blackhawk38 would be interested also, Ragtopriv may be looking for the same. We will have to come up with some combo that can get our cars closer to Grand National performance.

Welcome, Brother! Thanks for the compliments! I am indeed looking for the heavy duty stuff especially going from a 3.15 to a 3.36 final drive. Let me know how that intercooler project of yours goes, 'cause, I too, have interest in doing the same...

Thanks!

Riviera

How about an 1983 T-Type Riviera.The last of the carbbed Turbo's. NHRA National Record Holder DF/SA 2000-2002

Tony

For anyone interested, I have a local friend that purchased the engine and transaxle from an 84 turbo Riv. He still has the correct trans axle. Email me if interested.

Originally posted by RagTopRiv
I'd like to extend an olive branch to all owners of '84-5 Riviera T-Types and Convertible Turbos. We elite brothers are so few. If you own one of these rare Rivs, then please sound off here so that we may easily contact each other with questions, comments, praise, etc. I just bought another Convertible Turbo here:

http://www.chicagocarexchange.com/inventory_show.asp?stknum=3020

Got a really nice price for it, too (much lower than what they were asking!). My other Conv. Turbo can be viewed at CARDOMAIN:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag..._brand_query=model=Riviera&tree=Buick Riviera

I'm giving it to my brother for his birthday (he's been drooling over it for years). Might as well keep them in the family, right?

Thanks!

BLACKHAWK38 chiming in to this roll call

First of all, RagtopRiv congrats on your new purchase of autum firemist 85 turbo riviera convertible, a fine gesture for a gift for your brother.
YOU now have Twin turbo riviera convertibles

Hello to Eric, and John

I have a 1985 Riviera turbo convertible (0ne of 47) I have owned since new, It is the most favored car I own. a few mods, Eric was kind enough to sell me a 3.36 differential and I replaced the factory D7 1700 stall torque converter with a Dacco 7727 2400 stall
My other RIVIERA is a 85 T-type that I bought off the internet in Jan 2002, It is almost done from a new engine rebuild and am expecting it here end of next week.

Found a couple of turbo Rivieras for sale if anyone is interested or just want to look at the pictures, nice looking convertible, and though a bit rough, hardtop looks like a possible good project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2433995004&category=6137

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2433995004&category=6137

Will keep you guys posted on the 87 conversion to the 85 T Riv engine,have about 2/3rd of parts needed, though the 85 Riv engine and trans I am converting is going into a mid engine custom, a few issues I see will apply if done to a Riviera, Will post in a few days what I am finding.

hey guys--i have a 85 hard top t-type riv that i got from jack in kingman az. the paint is a little faded but the rest of the is almost mint! i replaced the clutch fan with a elect. one and install gauges. it only makes 5 lbs. boost. but my fuel pressure is a little low. so i have a walbro pump to install. i guess it must be the same setup as a gn. but i havent riped into it yet. i also thought about installing a intercooler motor or intercooling the hot air motor but i hate to hack-up a clean rare car. i always have a ton of gn's to fix and it gets old sometimes. so when i get a few mins. to my self--i like to play with the riv---len

If any of you guys from around Phx are looking for parts there is a 85 riviera t type sitting in ecology auto wrecking down here. I just pulled the motor to use in my sandrail, but everything else is still there. Anyone have a chiltons or something that has the wiring diagram for this in it and can scan me some pics of it. Going down to get the fuse block tomorrow or tuesday if anybody needs any parts off it email me.

Will keep you guys posted on the 87 conversion to the 85 T Riv engine,have about 2/3rd of parts needed, though the 85 Riv engine and trans I am converting is going into a mid engine custom, a few issues I see will apply if done to a Riviera, Will post in a few days what I am finding.

Well days has turned into weeks, but here are a few brief notes:

*The motor I am upgrading, an 85 turbo Riv motor,trans,frame section (from boneyard) is actually going into a custom mid engine, but I am looking to see how to convert with my driver 85 T Type Riv.

*It's not cheap, if we didn't already know that, even when getting good prices on the parts, it adds up quickly, just over $1600 now with a few small things to get.

*Wire harness first big problem, while same firewall connectors are used Riv,GNs, the wire pin outs are not all in same location, plus the Rivs have almost twice as many wires going to firewall with engine harness. While they can be made to match up if connector is reconfigured, it is no plug and play. My solution was to get entire 87 GN harnesses front to rear, but that won't work in the Rivs.

*Intercooler will fit as GNs, it gets mounted to the engine block by two brackets, however because of the funky front motor mount in the Rivs, the brackets have to be modified to work, one out of the three bolts will go in no mods,but bottom ones need mods.

*87 GN passenger header fits, mounts the turbo, but driver side 87 can't be used, it points down and 87 crossover goes down under between oil pan and trans. Have to use original Riv driver header and crossover because of th325-4l trans , but the crossover needs a little tweak to bolt up to 87 pass header, it's real close but has to fit better. Probably best to use Riv crossover as pattern and custom bend a pipe, besides, the flange on Riv crossover for turbo would have to be blocked.

*Downpipe from 87 turbo is going to have a real tight squeeze past heater and engine.

*Power steering is different on 87, has no provision for Rivs Hydroboost brakes.

*Turbo oil drain hole needs to be put in front of engine block.

*Everything else so far bolts up fine, manifold, engine accessories etc, need to measure and make sure 87 turbo location clears the hood, looks like it should.

That's it for now, at this time my thought to convert, the easier route would be keep the car as is, upgrade to 87 ECM, MAF,ignition coil, manifold/plenum/throttle body.

Use Riv turbo in stock location and fab (looks pretty easy) simple flange/bracket to mount the turbo to 87 manifold bosses for where ignition coil goes, reclock turbo to point towards front of motor and plumb to intercooler, again 87 cooler brackets will need mods to fit around the funky motor mount. Plumb intercooler to TB as stock 87. I did fit fit the parts up this way on engine stand and will work, the one tricky part to make will be turbo to intercooler pipe, could keep Riv turbo pointing up as stock and use elbow pipe as to clear the intake plenum.

If I find more I'll let you know.

;)

Forgot one of probably other things, remove stock fan and use elecric fans for radiator, intercooler fan needs to be adapted to Riv crank pulley.

I need back frame

Forgot one of probably other things, remove stock fan and use elecric fans for radiator, intercooler fan needs to be adapted to Riv crank pulley.

TRIV , sound like you are making progress, my frame near gas tank is toast, repair shop said I could have good rust free unit spiled on(welded) does not have to by T-type, any 82-85 will do, needs to cut with torch.

AM working on fuel lines configure today, GOT a piece from Kinsler Fuel injection out in Troy , MI to make my 233 type regulator remote , took old 233 fuel regulator to welding shop, will have brass AN-6 break out port silver soldered to tin case, Kinsler has a billet Saddle that will go on my billet fuel regulator that converts it to AN-6 inlet port, will use hose from the two, WIll use 14mm1.5X AN-6 male adapter for return line, will use 5/16 " GATES EFI hose for new return line, Need to make a an-6 hose end with a # 5 barb though, am using a AN-8 maleX 16mm1.5 Saginaw fitting(kinsler 6186, or accel 74743-H. Russell blue AN-6 Parker hose( russell twist-loc) from full tank meter 3/8" supply barb to AN-6 lnlet of Kinsler fuel filter , AN-8 out from kinsler Fuel filter to Buick fuel rail inlet,
new 1/4" general purpose rubber fuel line for charcoal canister,.

Sorry so long, Regards , Blackhawk38

Selling my '84 T-Type Riviera

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104807

Ok Guys, You haven't lost me forever as a member of the T-Type Riviera fan club! But, I will be selling my Riviera and want it to go to a good home...

I've got alot of sweat in this car and I want you guys to have first shot at it.

Click the above link to go to the for-sale section.

Make Offer. It's really the most unusual of an really unusual car! Who would have ever thought a Riviera could accomplish so much!

Not looking for a ton of money out of it, just want it to go to someone good.