Turbo rebuild or buy a new one

I have a chance to get a ta49 turbo and a downpipe for a good price but the turbo has a bad impeller, What does it cost to have one rebuilt or am I better off just buying a new turbo for the cost.

$575 for a new cartridge outright here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a chance to get a ta49 turbo and a downpipe for a good price but the turbo has a bad impeller, What does it cost to have one rebuilt or am I better off just buying a new turbo for the cost.
Bison,hands down is the man for the job. Ask me how I know !!!

575 is a good price.

I guess it will depends on the price you buy it with.

JB turbochargers are about $900 new roughly.

I ended up just buying a new one. It wasn’t going to work out for me.
I was only going to save about 200 max.

The center section. You would be Re-using your housings. This would be a dynamic oil control setup. Not a carbon seal like the stock config. Or you can send in your current one and I can update with new compressor but there’s no way of knowing the condition of the turbine shaft without tear down

If the turbo has a bad wheel, then you want to make sure that when you get a quote from someone, it includes putting on a new wheel and balancing the turbo assembly as well. You don't want to ask for a price for a rebuild and get a $300 quote, send the turbo in, and find out that it is over double that since it needs a new wheel and now you are way over budget! So just keep that in mind when getting pricing.

For a basic rebuild, like what Bison described up above (he does kickass work too, btw) you are getting a brand new center section. Basically the area where the bearings are located (that is a poor description, but I think you get what I am trying to say).

Since you are saying that a wheel is bad and will need to be replaced, you are looking at a whole different type of rebuild.

Personally I both use and sell WORK turbochargers, as the owner-Reed- has been building turbos for over 20 years (more than anyone I know of!) and specializes in Grand Nationals (ask him how he got into the turbo rebuild business ;) )

For a rebuild from WORK that would incude a brand new billet compressor wheel, a brand new billet backplate, new 360 degree severe duty thrust bearing, complete blueprint and balancing of the turbo wheels, and coming with a 1 year warranty...that would be probably around $700 to build you the same turbo you have now, but with MUCH better parts.

Just a thought...Since you are having to replace the wheel on your turbo anyway, why not take this opportunity to upgrade your turbo size? I mean, if you are going to have to pay for the cost of a new compressor wheel regardless, why not have a larger wheel put on there that can make more power? I'm not saying to go with a huge turbo wheel, but something make a little larger to just add some extra power across the whole rpm range...Just food for thought...I mean if it costs the same price to rebuild the turbo the way you had it, or to build the turbo bigger, why not go slightly bigger as long as it will work with your combination?

Since you have a "stock style" turbo, which means you can take on-and-off the inlet bell to the turbo (the piece the pipe that goes to the turbo connects to) WORK can also offer you either a brand new billet inlet bell, OR if you send him your stock bell (in case you are worried about passing smog, or want the stock appearance) he can bore out the inside of the stock bell so that it is completely ported and flows significantly more air. That is, if you wanted him to.

There are a ton of good turbo builders. Just make sure that whoever you choose, includes the price for a new wheel for you (judging from your post) and that they are building you the turbo you want.

The car is stock now but my plans where to do a te44 or a ta49 or a 5831, I have a 2800 stall so I was trying to find a turbo that would spool fast with that converter. My goal is roughly 11.50s on alky and supporting mods .So bisons center section wont include the wheel that is bad on mine?

The car is stock now but my plans where to do a te44 or a ta49 or a 5831, I have a 2800 stall so I was trying to find a turbo that would spool fast with that converter. My goal is roughly 11.50s on alky and supporting mods .So bisons center section wont include the wheel that is bad on mine?

No

Normally you send your turbo to who ever is going to do the rebuild for an inspection. Most will charge a fee for that inspection.
At that point they give you a final quote.

Mine had too much damage which is why I chose to just buy the new one.

Another idea for you.

A down pipe for a turbo like that is about 450 new give or take.

Buy the turbo and the downpipe and sell the turbo later. you won’t get much but its still something.

Turbo that need rebuilding I have seen on Ebay sell anywhere between 100 and 200.

I sold mine for $70 because I wanted it gone already. I was just about put it in the trash.
I actually sold it to bison

No

Normally you send your turbo to who ever is going to do the rebuild for an inspection. Most will charge a fee for that inspection.
At that point they give you a final quote.

Mine had too much damage which is why I chose to just buy the new one.

You are incorrect sir. A cartridge is ready to run when you bolt the housings on

Drop in MFS compressor wheel is $100 more

To have someone QUOTE what it will cost will require the Turbo to be inspected .. nobody can give you a cost without actually having the turbo in hand and torn down.

They can give you a quote for Labor to tear down and then after tear down the cost to rebuild based on what they find ...
This can go either way .. where they put in a seal kit and new wheel then rebalance OR it could be really ugly where it wiped out the turbine, compressor and at that point it's worthless but for a core.

for what some of the new turbos are going for nowdays your better off just going NEW on that size turbo.

To have someone QUOTE what it will cost will require the Turbo to be inspected .. nobody can give you a cost without actually having the turbo in hand and torn down.

They can give you a quote for Labor to tear down and then after tear down the cost to rebuild based on what they find ...
This can go either way .. where they put in a seal kit and new wheel then rebalance OR it could be really ugly where it wiped out the turbine, compressor and at that point it's worthless but for a core.

for what some of the new turbos are going for nowdays your better off just going NEW on that size turbo.

Exactly

I had my turbo go out last year .
It was 20 to ship my turbo out For the rebuild.
Then 50 for the person to inspect it .
450 to do the rebuild if everything was reusable.
Then he would charge me $50 to box it up and ship it to me.
Now that was assuming that everything was reusable.
Mine had a bad compressor wheel which was rubbing on the housing.
so now I needed a housing and compressor wheel.

That’s when I said forget it!
I’ll buy me a bigger modern turbo for almost the same price. And all new.

Is the down pipe a good one?A TH RJC or TA? and the price right that the busted up turbo is free.The 49 will work with stock convertor. If you race it the trans is not long for this world,and you will be looking for a trans and convertor.
You do have a scanmaster?
Hot wire for the fuel pump?
A fuel pump?
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator?
You will have to adapt the down pipe to the existing exhaust.
The list will go on and on
O and chip injectors.
This is the short list. with a TA49 turbo and down pipe.
These cars are a longterm relationship you can do it Gas Oil & Tires,leaving it stock.Or fancy Shoes Handbags and Diamonds. Even when you count the cost it always cost more than you thought it would.
You will have fun no mater what way you go with it.