Turbo or intercooler?

matt87gn

Hey all.. been out for quite awhile. I bought my dad's car recently, so I'm back in the game(in sig). I feel like it rips really hard until it hits 3rd gear with 3 degrees of retard. Pretty sure air is just getting too hot, so considering a new upgrade. The current turbo leaks a small amount of oil on compressor side, so I'm tempted to start there. Stock innercooler... Currently running about 20lbs 1-2 gears and 17 lbs 3-4 gears. I'm sure there will be more questions but I'm looking to go to the dyno at some point and have minimum 450 at the wheels. So what you upgrade first? Thanks for any feedback!

What he said ^^^

Next, send Bison your turbo for a rebuild. If you switch turbo's you get into matching it with the converter and.....and.....and.

Last step would be an upgraded intercooler. What you have prolly works fine for now. Not sure why a girdle is needed on this engine, those boost levels don't call for it.

What he said ^^^

Next, send Bison your turbo for a rebuild. If you switch turbo's you get into matching it with the converter and.....and.....and.

Last step would be an upgraded intercooler. What you have prolly works fine for now. Not sure why a girdle is needed on this engine, those boost levels don't call for it.

The girdle was just easy to put in at the time and a little insurance on the bottom end.

E85 if available in your area. No brainer imop

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

E85 if available in your area. No brainer imop

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yep, Brent likes that popcorn juice and he will prove it all out soon. But, it's getting harder and harder to find out west. :)

I'm a Premium and Alky injection guy. Works really well as long as everything is in harmony.

You'll never have to worry about an Alky pump failure w/ E85 though...... This very thing maybe/sorta/coulda have been the cause of my recent engine failure.

Or..........It could have been what TurboLou described as " The rubber band between your ears finally snapped"..........

I have to admit, I cannot discount Lou's theory too much.......:eek:

The girdle was just easy to put in at the time and a little insurance on the bottom end.

And, of course your dad LOVED additional easy places for that Buick to "mark it's territory" from........ ;) JK.

Good luck with the car, there are tons and tons of resources here for you. Will you be at Bates on Sunday?

Yep, Brent likes that popcorn juice and he will prove it all out soon. But, it's getting harder and harder to find out west. :)

I'm a Premium and Alky injection guy. Works really well as long as everything is in harmony.

You'll never have to worry about an Alky pump failure w/ E85 though...... This very thing maybe/sorta/coulda have been the cause of my recent engine failure.

Or..........It could have been what TurboLou described as " The rubber band between your ears finally snapped"..........

I have to admit, I cannot discount Lou's theory too much.......:eek:
All of the holiday gas stations in my area have e85... although I wonder how long it will last

Before you throw parts at it, get some god data, and find out what's going on.

Hey all.. been out for quite awhile. I bought my dad's car recently, so I'm back in the game(in sig). I feel like it rips really hard until it hits 3rd gear with 3 degrees of retard. Pretty sure air is just getting too hot, so considering a new upgrade. The current turbo leaks a small amount of oil on compressor side, so I'm tempted to start there. Stock innercooler... Currently running about 20lbs 1-2 gears and 17 lbs 3-4 gears. I'm sure there will be more questions but I'm looking to go to the dyno at some point and have minimum 450 at the wheels. So what you upgrade first? Thanks for any feedback!
i wouldnt run 17psi in 3rd gear on straight pump with a stock intercooler.octane is your friend,you can run a dutt neck with a stock intercooler on a 49 and add meth and that will cool the charge and raise the octane to run higher boost levels.but looking at your sig with heads cam etc the combo would really make alot more power with a bigger turbo and the intercooler.you will still need octane to push the combo where it would really wake up over what you had.now that i got you excited you will need an upgraded trans to handle higher boost levels and if your not going to put in a built trans turn the boost down and just drive it.

i wouldnt run 17psi in 3rd gear on straight pump with a stock intercooler.octane is your friend,you can run a dutt neck with a stock intercooler on a 49 and add meth and that will cool the charge and raise the octane to run higher boost levels.but looking at your sig with heads cam etc the combo would really make alot more power with a bigger turbo and the intercooler.you will still need octane to push the combo where it would really wake up over what you had.now that i got you excited you will need an upgraded trans to handle higher boost levels and if your not going to put in a built trans turn the boost down and just drive it.

I agree. More octane and meth. I've been thinking about the tranny as well... I'll cross that road when I need to. I Haven't shopped them at all, how much would I be looking at?

If you choose turbo, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the canton oil filter system that supplies filtered oil to your new turbo. Easy/cheap upgrade for a little extra insurance. In the event of catastrophic failure, it will keep all of that garbage from going through the turbo. If I were to do my car over again, I would've just upgraded the intercooler and turbo. Relying on alky or E85, you could have pump failure either way which could lead to big problems very quickly.

I agree. More octane and meth. I've been thinking about the tranny as well... I'll cross that road when I need to. I Haven't shopped them at all, how much would I be looking at?
It would depend on what build you chose.i would get the build first if you turn the wick up things will go away fast.the 200 needs better parts and proper calibration.dave husek builds a great 200 and I have had alot of time and made alot of power on his 200.

I wouldn't turn it up without the trans done. It sucks getting stuck or winging the motor and hurting many things at once