Turbo oil leak

NorCalTurbos

Slowing down to SPEED UP!!!
IMG_0306.PNG Is this a sign of a bad turbo? Or do I have a pcv issue/ breather tube/crankcase pressure causing a little Oil to seep through the turbo at the exhaust elbow housing. I have a bad exhaust leak at the crossover pipe and I'm getting white smoke out the tail pipes at idle not sure if the exhaust leak has the ecm adding so much fuel I'm getting the smoke but if I hit the throttle the smoke becomes unbearable in my garage. Could this be oil getting in the dp?
Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
IMG_0294.PNG would this fix the issue? Or is this seal for exhaust purposes only? And my turbo is toast.

Time for a turbo. Or a rebuild that gasket isn't going to help you

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

:eek: That sucks, just got the conversion finished... Time to shop around and see what's out there. I never bought a turbo before. I don't even know where to begin. With 6 kids and the holidays my resources are limited right now, maybe I'll end up getting a good used stocker for now, sure hate to do the work and not upgrade it tho. Thanks for the quick response

I have Exhaust leaks at the crossover pipe where it meets the headers possibly causing blow by, bad pcv valve I don't think i changed it the thing could be 30yrs old, I also have a split in the rubber grommet on the passenger valve cover to turbo breather tube???? Crankcase pressure or Turbo? I just let the car idle a few times I haven't taken it out since the lc2 swap

UPDATE
finally got the exhaust leak buttoned up, sounds better, idle is ok, turbo still has a small drip at the bottom but no where near how it was before, it was seeping at the exhaust elbow. Gotta pull the plugs I think they're fouled at this point.

The turbo oil drain tube can clog and cause this also. It was clear when you swapped to ic setup?
Good call ive read about this but haven't checked it out yet. Now I still have a small exhaust leak not to bad though, the turbo has a small drip at the bottom now no more burning oil at the top. I will check the drain tube soon, thanks

My bet is on turbo failure. Leaking internally into your exhaust housing. will cause smoke at idle (when the turbo/exhaust is hot enough to burn the leaking oil). And is really evident after a run. If you make a boost run and then come to a stop or slow down.

My bet is on turbo failure. Leaking internally into your exhaust housing. will cause smoke at idle (when the turbo/exhaust is hot enough to burn the leaking oil). And is really evident after a run. If you make a boost run and then come to a stop or slow down.
I'm hoping it's not the turbo, I just spent $3,500 :eek:on this setup 60k original miles unopened motor I've inspected the turbo and it seems to be ok, no shaft play, no signs of wheel / housing contact. The leak I thought was oil is actually unburdened fuel blowing through the turbo and out my tail pipes.
I had a bad exhaust leak = low o2 reading on the passenger side manifold at the crossover pipe and 30yr old stock injectors and I'm sure #6 was staying open due to the wetness on the spark plug. Since I have had the exhaust leak fixed and new 60# injectors on it now I'm waiting for the TT chip and I will fire it up with my fingers crossed.
I will say that by fixing the exhaust leak the turbo wasn't smoking as bad. Let's hope the injectors fix my issue. I have yet to put a load on it, so I hope the over fueling didn't hurt my rings I let it idle a few times until warm by then the fumes and smoke forced me to shut it down.

I'm hoping it's not the turbo, I just spent $3,500 :eek:on this setup 60k original miles unopened motor I've inspected the turbo and it seems to be ok, no shaft play, no signs of wheel / housing contact. The leak I thought was oil is actually unburdened fuel blowing through the turbo and out my tail pipes.
I had a bad exhaust leak = low o2 reading on the passenger side manifold at the crossover pipe and 30yr old stock injectors and I'm sure #6 was staying open due to the wetness on the spark plug. Since I have had the exhaust leak fixed and new 60# injectors on it now I'm waiting for the TT chip and I will fire it up with my fingers crossed.
I will say that by fixing the exhaust leak the turbo wasn't smoking as bad. Let's hope the injectors fix my issue. I have yet to put a load on it, so I hope the over fueling didn't hurt my rings I let it idle a few times until warm by then the fumes and smoke forced me to shut it down.
does the engine oil smell diluted with gas?

UPDATE; I finally got the chip and injectors in car idles great sounds great, turbo still leaking, I did have a couple of injectors that were bad so I'm pretty sure the turbo is shot I'm pulling it today after I post this :eek: :cry: I found oil in the ic also :(
I can't wait to just be able to enjoy the car. Oh well, thanks everyone and I will post end results.

IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1343.JPG I'm now positive that the turbo is GONE there's a lot of shaft play and oil passing through the center section into the exhaust throwing my o2 reading of causing them to be in the 300-500 range :cry: it sucks but hey it could be worse and with these cars I'm sure that I will be doing much more head scratching (n). The thing about it is when a guy gives you his word that everything you are purchasing is in good working order and then :poop: like this starts to pop up. It makes you afraid of what else you will find in the future. But hey karma is unforgiving so good luck to that guy. Hopefully when I get a turbo I can enjoy the car.

All cars tell a story as you tear into them. As I dig further I'm finding now trying to remove the turbo that the two front nuts, lol :LOL: they are stripped as if the previous owner tried to pull it and gave up after he or better yet she, had to be a chick:chicken: since they got beat by two seized nuts. Stripped not one but two nutz :ROFLMAO: and then walked away selling me their headache. I've been a member for only a couple of years and ripped off twice. The first guy sold me 38# injectors and told me they were 50s, the other is this dude here that took nearly $4,000 of my money and lied to me and now won't even reply to my PMs. I should be looking for a plane ticket not a turbo :mad:. Fellas be careful, have boundaries when buying from dirt bags because they are everywhere, New members should be required to wait before selling privileges and anything over $1,000 should come with a return policy. Just to avoid the surprise visits.