TURBO ID

V6BEAST

Just bought this 87 and was told it’s an aftermarket turbo. Garrett/Precision. The exhaust side (Percision) definitely looks bigger than stock. Any help would be great.

Buckshot G/N

If it's serving the purpose don't bother it. Lots of aftermarket Turbo 's out there, But if precision name is on it ,you can bank on it.

V6BEAST

IMG_0939 (3).PNG

V6BEAST

Ta49 with a stock dp/elbow ..inmo, looks like a dutt neck off the intercooler
You are dead on. I know it has the 3” Billet intake adapter, stock elbow, 3” down pipe, and the 2.5” Dutt-neck. I just found it strange that half the turbo unit is Garrett and half Precision. From what I’ve read the only way to find out what it is, would be to take it apart and measure the wheels.

V6sleeper

You are dead on. I know it has the 3” Billet intake adapter, stock elbow, 3” down pipe, and the 2.5” Dutt-neck. I just found it strange that half the turbo unit is Garrett and half Precision. From what I’ve read the only way to find out what it is, would be to take it apart and measure the wheels.
It is common to have a garrett housing and a pte hot side, usually this was done to modify the stock turbo for a bigger exhaust wheel for a lower back pressure at high boost levels.

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
could be Precision's version of TA49 or could be Precision's stock replacement - the TA32 - with slightly larger than stock wheels but smaller than the 49's

easiest way to check - remove inlet bell - measure measure bore of compressor cover. or see how well the 49 inlet bell is port matched to the comp cover

stock Garrett comp cover bore is about 2.00" while a TA49 is about 2.30"

Buick turbos specs_Precision_1.jpg

V6BEAST

could be Precision's version of TA49 or could be Precision's stock replacement - the TA32 - with slightly larger than stock wheels but smaller than the 49's

easiest way to check - remove inlet bell - measure measure bore of compressor cover. or see how well the 49 inlet bell is port matched to the comp cover

View attachment 367666
Thanks Anthony, I will check that out latter today.
So far everything I was told about the car is correct. The guy told me it had an aftermarket turbo, injectors (turned out to be 17090304 4301 37lbs.), chipped, and a cam. The cam is the only thing I haven't check on, but there was factory valve springs in the trunk in a performance buick box. Can't remember the name of the company, but I know they are no longer in bussiness. So I feel pretty good about that being true.
I'm in the process of rebuilding the fuel system. New GM307 tank, 8an SS feed line, 6an SS return line, and either the Racetronix 450LPH or the 525LPH pump. And of coarse the 10ga/30amp Hot Wire kit.

V6BEAST

View attachment 367666
Looks like you were right, Measures out to a TA-49
It's a lot easier to find out what you got with the right numbers and knowing where to look.
Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• IMG_0952 (2).jpg
    IMG_0952 (2).jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 11

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
V6sleeper called it. also, notes for reference....49 comp wheel is 6 blades (6 high + 6 low) while stock TB0348 is 7 (high and low)

photo guide from gnttype dot org helps....link below

Turbocharger Photo Guide