Turbo Heat Shield Cut Away For 3" DP ?

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Does anyone have a template or advice on how & where to cut the OEM turbo heat shield to provide clearance for a 3" down-pipe?

I have a heat shield that has been coated with ceramic type of coating. Is there a way to cut it without ruining the coating?

Thank you

Make one out of cardboard with scissors and tape. Then use that as a template. I made my own that way to clear my external gate as well, then took a 4 inch death wheel to it.

That's kind of what I was thinking about doing. I recall seeing a ready made template that could be down-loaded somewhere. Probably on Gnttype.org, but that site appears to no longer exist.

I was hoping that I could use some masking tape to protect the coating on the heat shield & then cut through it.

Thanks

I think I have a template at home. It's for a THDP but should work for you. Can scan it in. When I cut my shield it was chromed. Put 2 or 3 layers of masking tape on it and used a sabre saw with fine metal blade. Worked great.

I think I have a template at home. It's for a THDP but should work for you. Can scan it in. When I cut my shield it was chromed. Put 2 or 3 layers of masking tape on it and used a sabre saw with fine metal blade. Worked great.

I cut mine the same way. I sat the turbo shield on the turbo loosely with no bolts in it, marked (on the masking tape) the curve of the DP, subtracted the amount the shield needed to drop and cut it. I did cut mine three times so I didn't take off too much.
IMO some shields I've seen have too much material removed or have an odd shape, that's why I went the route I did, plus my shield is unique.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
As far as the cut edge, mask off the shield and paint it with matching high temp paint by either spraying the shield direct or spray the paint into a cup and dab it on with a brush.

I added the 5" scale length so you could zoom it to the right size, and took that picture from the template that came with my THDP years ago. However, I had to cut a good bit more off the cover to clear the pipe than that template shows, and so did most everyone I asked who used it, so don't be surprised if you need to trim some more. You can mask both sides with tape or even clamp thin sheet metal on for more protection before you cut and probably not hurt the coating on the sides, but of course you will expose bare metal where you cut so that will need paint or it will eventually rust. You could try a jigsaw with a very fine tooth blade but it will probably be running too fast and want to jump around and cause chips. Maybe your technique is better than mine, or you could try one of those router speed controls to slow it down. A hacksaw blade is wide enough that it doesn't want to follow the curve, but that's what I used, followed by a large round file to smooth it up. Not the prettiest but was ok. If you could get a very fine blade for a coping saw that would be great.

I wouldn't use the THDP template. Year ago when I bought my pipe and used that pattern I was very unhappy with how it does NOT follow the lines of the pipe.

I ended up selling my shield to someone that wanted it but didn't want to cut their own.

I would set your shield as close to in place as possible and mark off a better circle than that oddball shape.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Good to know. I will compare before cutting to see how it looks.

Thank you