turbo heat managment

TurboSmart

i was planning to add some heat wrap for the turbo and exh manifolds.

any opinions regarding this?

ceramic coating is not an option for my right now.

why?
any specific reason why not to wrap the exhaust housing, downpipe to at least the converter and exhaust manifolds?

A few years ago I did extensive research on wrapping headers and downpipes.

From what I can remember It’s ok to wrap a downpipe but not the headers.

I can’t remember exactly why but i believe it sped up the rusting/rotting process.

D

I believe the main reason not to wrap the headers and crossover on these cars is the risk of fire. Several people have burned their cars down by doing this from what I hear. Many of these cars leak oil and it will accumulate in the header wrap and eventually catch fire. I wrap my downpipe from the turbo to down below the ac box. I may get a turbo exhaust housing cover someday and see if that helps with the heat. Wrapping an uncoated carbon steel header will usually help accelerate corrosion. I have my headers, downpipe, and crossover ceramic coated and it is a great finish but was very expensive.

i plan to wrap the downpipe and add some heatshields to reduce underhood temps.
also plan to add a turbo blanket and use the stock heatshield

heat in that area is inmense so lets see...

i plan to wrap the downpipe and add some heatshields to reduce underhood temps.
also plan to add a turbo blanket and use the stock heatshield

heat in that area is inmense so lets see...
Be aware that if your turbo leaks from the feed (which some do) theirs a chance of a fire, your better off not wrapping it (the turbo housing)...stick with just wrapping the down pipe..imo

Last edited:
I know someone that has the headers and downpipe wrapped. Personally I would do the ceramic coating. The idea of oil accumulating in the wrap and eventually catching fire does not appeal to me.

I'd stay away from wrapping the headers and crossover...lots of research proving accelerated failure and corrosion ...plus as mentioned risk of fire from oil leaks. I would like to ceramic coat my headers, crossover, new turbo exhaust housing and maybe my DP...also going with a turbo blanket. What coating actually works and doesn't eventually come off? I have searched but no real solid recommendations for the coating?

I have a thread on here somewhere with pictures of my coated headers about a year and a half or so ago. They still look great. Polydyn coatings here in Houston did them. Expensive but very good coating.

ive also seen some people wrap the up-pipes as a reverse effect to keep the heat from the engine bay out... but that was way back in the 90's lol

I did some reading and checked some interesting product out there.

How about using a header jacket instead of the wrap?

The jacket is a single piece, covered in aluminum material on the outside.

The crossover pipe will be left uncovered

Downpipe will be wrapped and then use a heat sleeve to contain the heat

The turbine will be covered in a jacket and then use the stock heat shield
pass manifold as well as the turbine up-pipe will be wrapped with the header jacket.

At least thats my plan

Seriously tho, this all might be over kill...The heat under the hood isn't that severe where performance is gonna be that effected that much unless your doing back to back hot-laps at the track, biggest thing you have to worry about is tranny temps make sure you have a huge trans cooler.. bigger the better..

My reasons are two part:
1. To cut down on the heat from the turbo...my PT6776 with aluminum turbo shield melted strips in my fancy TTA hood blanket in the shape of the pattern on the shield...I'll take care of that with a turbo blanket on my new PT7168.
2. To try and preserve the finish of my new PT7168 exhaust housing and cut back on the rust. While I'm at it coat the headers and crossover as well to keep them looking nice while cutting back on some heat too.

oh and if it helps spool a little then that's a bonus!

The problem is picking the right product to coat everything without getting ripped off on something that will only last a short time.

Can't remember the last time I've seen an engine pic with wrapped pipes on this site. I think that alone speaks to its benefits vs risks.

A few years back, I had Specialized Coatings in Huntington Beach, CA. Ceramic coat my old Poston's headers and down pipe. They did the pretty stuff on the outside. Then they did the thick black, ugly stuff on the inside. So far, so good. Not sure what the product name was.

Mike B.

Can't remember the last time I've seen an engine pic with wrapped pipes on this site. I think that alone speaks to its benefits vs risks.

The only problem I see with wrapped pipes is mild steel becomes brittle and will crack if they don't rot off first. Doesn't seem to be a problem with stainless. The wrap is made by DEI and is the lava wrap stuff. Stainless tie wraps to hold everything in place. The exhaust temps can be 1100-1300 degrees idling and you can touch the wrap without getting burned.
AG.
001.JPG