Turbo flutter at wot

TireFryer

The New Kid
does it hold the 23/24psi?is the afr steady?
Yes. 10.4:1 afr, dead nuts. Alky spraying, zero and I mean ZERO KR, and it holds the 23-24 psi, the needle just vibrates between the two numbers. Anyway. I’m done. Car started randomly died, started back up, backfired so bad it blew the exhaust apart and I think it hurt the motor. I think it might be the adjustable cam cap I have. I’ll put oem and set it and if that doesn’t fix it it’s going away forever. I’m done for a while. Time to find a civic:)

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Car started randomly died, started back up, backfired so bad it blew the exhaust apart and I think it hurt the motor.
Sounds to me as tho you may have a leaking inj, or multiple leaks.
Engine turned off, fuel drains into the exh, you start it, it lites off the raw fuel, and whamo, the exh heads south.
It could also be a shorted inj, harness issue. Key on, inj is wfo, and stays there.

TireFryer

The New Kid
Sounds to me as tho you may have a leaking inj, or multiple leaks.
Engine turned off, fuel drains into the exh, you start it, it lites off the raw fuel, and whamo, the exh heads south.
It could also be a shorted inj, harness issue. Key on, inj is wfo, and stays there.
But then it’ll start up and run perfect for 15 miles before happening again? I’m thinking I have major electrical issues

TireFryer

The New Kid
Just remembered. I installed a ta silent timing set WITHOUT a tensioner.. would a loose chain cause the cam sensor to freak out every now and then? Might as well park it and build the new motor at this point. Still going to check all wiring and sensors as well as leak down when kit gets here.

HotAirWH1

Just remembered. I installed a ta silent timing set WITHOUT a tensioner.. would a loose chain cause the cam sensor to freak out every now and then? Might as well park it and build the new motor at this point. Still going to check all wiring and sensors as well as leak down when kit gets here.
do NOT give up !!!

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
I’ll put oem and set it and if that doesn’t fix it it’s going away forever. I’m done for a while. Time to find a civic:)

There is not ONE person on here who didn't have thoughts of selling or putting their car on fire. Anyone who says they never had, is lying. The people who succeeded made all kinds of mistakes, learned from them, and never gave up. Be thankful that you are making mistakes now while you have the health and energy to get it fixed. A civic is a GREAT DD and a great way to take a break.

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Fact

SmartSelect_20210823-111604_Chrome.jpg

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
Your TR isn't your daily driver. Jerryl is correct. Everyone, including me has wanted to torch their TR. I had a high BLM issue. I pulled my fukn hair our swapping shit trying to figure it out. I swapped in several 02 sensors as well. I was gonna torch the car and Steve Wood talked me down from the ledge. The 02 sensors I installed came from a group order. He told me to go buy one from the local parts store. Bingo! All was good. I had bought a bunch of bad sensors. And don't rebuild the engine if the compression and leak down test is okay. If you did knock the head gaskets out of it, and the bottom end is sound, then toss a pair of head gaskets in it.

TireFryer

The New Kid
I finally decided to dig into the car a little bit and would like your opinion at your convenience. So we pulled the cam cap off and found that it was loose to begin with. The reluctor wheel was still tight. So was a main sensor body. I decided to check and see if the timing chain was loose as I installed a ta silent set, the guy I got it from said don't run a tensioner so I didn't. It was tight when I put it on. Well, I rotated the engine over and it takes 4° on the timing tab of the crank rotation before the cam sensor starts moving. So, my chain is slack and I did actually need the tensioner. Would the chain being loose like that cause the popping and backfiring I'm experiencing? Should I take the engine apart and add a tensioner or just set it with the new stock cap and tr6 and try it? Thanks in advance!

NY_GN

Planning next secret evil upgrade
I finally decided to dig into the car a little bit and would like your opinion at your convenience. So we pulled the cam cap off and found that it was loose to begin with. The reluctor wheel was still tight. So was a main sensor body. I decided to check and see if the timing chain was loose as I installed a ta silent set, the guy I got it from said don't run a tensioner so I didn't. It was tight when I put it on. Well, I rotated the engine over and it takes 4° on the timing tab of the crank rotation before the cam sensor starts moving. So, my chain is slack and I did actually need the tensioner. Would the chain being loose like that cause the popping and backfiring I'm experiencing? Should I take the engine apart and add a tensioner or just set it with the new stock cap and tr6 and try it? Thanks in advance!
Just rebuilt my engine and the double roller I put in a few years ago had too much slack. I had to block honed, so that wasn't too surprising. Alot of pressure on that chain, so it would loosen some after install/hard driving.

Easiest route would be sync new cap with tr6 and can't really advise on the tensioner without seeing how much slop you have in the chain. I don't run a tensioner, I called TA and they set me up with tighter chain.

TireFryer

The New Kid
Just rebuilt my engine and the double roller I put in a few years ago had too much slack. I had to block honed, so that wasn't too surprising. Alot of pressure on that chain, so it would loosen some after install/hard driving.

Easiest route would be sync new cap with tr6 and can't really advise on the tensioner without seeing how much slop you have in the chain. I don't run a tensioner, I called TA and they set me up with tighter chain.
I pulled it apart, chain is sloppy. Installing tensioner with new oem cam cap and crank sensor. Hoping that fixes it. If not it’s being driven off a Cliff.