Turbo builds

KW472

Brand new to turbo Buick forum but long time buick gs owner. I’ve been seriously considering going the turbo route vs nox. Can anyone point me on the best direction to research turbo BBB on this forum. Building a reliable “daily driver”, 750 hp max, (150-200 hp increase) at about 6 psi, on a 455 engine. Block is already prepped for it. Any guidance is welcomed!

Brand new to turbo Buick forum but long time buick gs owner. I’ve been seriously considering going the turbo route vs nox. Can anyone point me on the best direction to research turbo BBB on this forum. Building a reliable “daily driver”, 750 hp max, (150-200 hp increase) at about 6 psi, on a 455 engine. Block is already prepped for it. Any guidance is welcomed!
there is a big difference between a nitrous bbc and a turbo bbc and that will often determine what fuel you will be running

compression is 9.5:1, forged pistons, SBC rods, stroked to 472. Built to drive on 91 octane. If going with NOx, thinking progressive phase in to about 125-150 hp. Would rather go with mild turbo build if I can pull it off and keep the car reliable. 6 psi, air intercooled turbo seems reasonable and should be a ton of fun for low end torque for the street.

compression is 9.5:1, forged pistons, SBC rods, stroked to 472. Built to drive on 91 octane. If going with NOx, thinking progressive phase in to about 125-150 hp. Would rather go with mild turbo build if I can pull it off and keep the car reliable. 6 psi, air intercooled turbo seems reasonable and should be a ton of fun for low end torque for the street.
the nitrous/on carb will be much easier and cost alot less and guys get the cars running alot sooner as its much less complicated,but you will need race gas to spray 150 shot even if its progressive to be reliable. the turbo setup you can run the a shot turbo mild boost on pump,but you need to be a good tuner on a good computer and thats alot of money for fuel injection,turbo,big intercooler,pipeing,etc for just 6 psi.you could do a secondary fuel system running race gas and when you want to play spray the car on c12 or c16.

Thanks for the info. Even with 2-4* timing retard/100 hp, race gas will be needed for NOx? I had the Holley Super Sniper FI installed last year. Any preferences on NOx systems - Nitrous express? Sounds like you have a lot of experience in both for racing

Thanks for the info. Even with 2-4* timing retard/100 hp, race gas will be needed for NOx? I had the Holley Super Sniper FI installed last year. Any preferences on NOx systems - Nitrous express? Sounds like you have a lot of experience in both for racing
Not to sound arrogant,I try to help others,but I have seen and participated in too much lol,but i love it all.you will need timing retard even on spray with race fuel, if you want to get more specific I can but but its easier over the phone. You can pm me and we can go from there.the nos kits vary in terms of some require less pressure to make power vs more bottle pressure,as in reflected in the jetting.induction solutions seems to be ahead of the game currently

Nitrous is getting more expensive every year plus harder to aquire. The long tern cost adds up and will eventually surpass the cost of a centrifugal supercharger. Did you ever consider that option or even better just build a 700 hp NA engine? I don't know your experience but a true 600hp engine is a handfull on the street especially with a stock suspension and radials.

Belt driven super charger with blow threw carb would be cheaper than turbo > Just a thought. I looked at it for my Monte SS small block but got bit by the twisted 6 virus, The nitrous filling and changing pressures from bottle volume etc was a deterrent for me .

Sounds like you have a lot of experience in both for racing
i do, alot actually,listen you should pm me as there are many theorists out there,and this thread looks like starting to go in that direction:rolleyes:

The nitrous filling and changing pressures from bottle volume etc was a deterrent for me .
you have been misinformed by those in your in the dark ages, the new kits work on low bottle pressure and supply all the power.the days of heating up your bottles with a butane tourch are over

The long tern cost adds up and will eventually surpass the cost of a centrifugal supercharger.
that is not necessarlly true,as there are costs to every power adder out there.carb and spray has been super reliable and the op will be on race full regardless.

you have been misinformed by those in your in the dark ages, the new kits work on low bottle pressure and supply all the power.the days of heating up your bottles with a butane tourch are over
You are probably correct but nitrous and having bottles to fill and change seems like too much work. Over the long haul I think the boosted thing Is more fun. I also think its a cleaner simpler install. For my Monte SS I thought a carb on a small block with centrifugal blower looked old school and suited the body style better. Like I said though,the twisted 6 is way more fun and the Monte got sold in favor of a second TB. ;)

that is not necessarlly true,as there are costs to every power adder out there.carb and spray has been super reliable and the op will be on race full regardless.

It's very reliable, but all the money I have put into parts, refills, recerts over the years I would have been better off just going turbo or centrifugal. If its a driver is it going to be sprayed just when running at the track or blasting around town? Bottles get empty real quick when your hitting them all the time. I have to drive 40 minutes to the nearest refill I know of and its no longer 15 to 20 buck refills anymore.

You are probably correct but nitrous and having bottles to fill and change seems like too much work. Over the long haul I think the boosted thing Is more fun. I also think its a cleaner simpler install. For my Monte SS I thought a carb on a small block with centrifugal blower looked old school and suited the body style better. Like I said though,the twisted 6 is way more fun and the Monte got sold in favor of a second TB. ;)
cleaner really?very little wiring on a bbc and carb with spray. these turbos dont last forever break a few $2500-$5000 turbos and tell me what is cheaper over time,and they are big dollars and lots of piping sometimes custom stuff which adds up quick.

but all the money I have put into parts, refills, recerts over the years I would have been better off just going turbo or centrifugal.
no way your speculating.your assumoing your not going to break turbos and a host of all the things that go wrong with turbo cars vs nitrous cars.my friends car 500bbc carb on a 300 shot went 12 years with just standard matinence stuff,my other friends twin turbo car needed 2 turbos replaced at that time at 5k a peice so 10g just in turbos in less in less than the same time.