Turbo Action Shifter on a 400

Jeff Rand

I am setting up this shifter with the CO2 (reverse pattern). I am having problems getting it to shift out of first (doing a bench test). Once it is in second then it shifts into third without a problem. It seems like the position of the striker to the solenoid rod (rod angle) is not correct at the first shift. I am using 120 psi and I can shift it manually without any binding. Has anyone had this problem.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,
Did you buy the shifter unit and solenoids together as a package? If not from what I understand the shifter gate has to be changed over to a secondary gate design. Dont know if that helps any but thought id throw it out there.

This is the gate you need
IMG_0498.jpg

I did not buy the shifter with the solenoid, but I did change the gate. Maybe I will call the tech at turbo action.
Thanks,
Jeff

This is the gate you need
IMG_0498.jpg
Brent,
That is the gate that I have. Nice installation. It seems like it is a no brain er, when the solenoid rod hits the striker in first, it will move slightly but not get into the second gear position.
Jeff

Jeff, there are 2 versions of the Cheeta shifter, one of them CANNOT use, or adapt, the CO2 solenoid for shifting.:confused:

Been through this twice now when they sent me the wrong units.:mad:

here are the available shift plates.

chry on left, ford center, gm right ( in 1st pic)
and reversed in 2nd pic.
only diff I can see is in neutral park distance.
lemme know if you wanna try any of these,

Attachments

• MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 98
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 115
Nick, I spoke to the Turbo Action people when I bought the shifter (it was not set up for CO2) and they said the only difference in the two part numbers was the gate plate (about $35). I just got off the phone with Biondo and they found the problem. The pin in the striker was not pushed completely under the shifter mechanism (this hold the striker in place).
Thanks,
Jeff