Turbo 3800 Greetings.. (pic heavy?)

jdredd

Greetings.. While not a GN nor the same 3.8, my turbo 3800 gets coupled/compared to the original.
Always been a huge GN fan. Growing up as a kid, my neighbor (rip) owned a GNX. Yes, not a knock
off, the real deal.

Anyways... keeping with the spirit of the 3.8 V6's and not having a GN, little over a year ago, started
a turbo grand prix project with my friend Sean. We had been drag racing his GTP for years, but
decided to pretty much retire it, and we both went in on this project. Picked up a $1000 beater
to start with.

Neither one of us are mechanics or anything. We never had
a turbo car or worked on one until started on this. So a new realm and a lot of learning.

Engine is a stock 200k + short block. Just had new bolts, bearings, rings put in.
Local heads, a turbo cam, and double roller. Nothing to crazy.
Using a mutt T67 turbo.

I had my doubts on the setup, but ended up smiling from ear to ear the first test drive
I got to do under boost. I knew instantly, this is gonna be fun.

We did a full year of racing this year with a lot of passes. Only things to break
was an intercooler bracket and a belt. Pretty good I'd say.

Transmission, while a lot of work and $ tossed into it, the converter slip was hurting
the top end. This is getting addressed over the winter. PI multi disc locking converter,
transbrake and two step... and some other goodies. Should proove interesting on the
learning curve to launch it. Just started to get under control too.

Best pass being a 10.41@132 with a 1.56 60' at 21 psi. Car is around 3000lbs
without a driver.

Not to shabby I'd like to think. 19-22 psi the car did not get much if any faster.
The converter slip just gets worse with more boost. After the new trans setup,
hopes are that we can max out the little T67 around 25-26 psi and get all the
power to the ground.

Only been to dyno once. This was at Cincy Speed. With a factory style fuel system,
with a racetronix pump. We started to go lean at 17psi, but managed 529whp.
GM High Tech Performance picked up on the dyno videos from Cincy Speed and
had them on their facebook page. Thought that was kinda neat.

Our buddy PRJ rewired the whole car for us. Removing everything that wasn't needed.
Jesus was there a lot of wires. Fuse box moved to dash under the air bag panel.
PCM located in glove box. Battery under front bumper.

He also did our full fuel cell and supply setup. Came out pretty good. Anyways Ill toss up some pics
of when the setup was in progress..

A lot of work from different people went into this. A bit of custom work. A lot of parts
we had to make up our selves.

Car when we picked it up from PRJ. Engine bay cleaned up very well moving all the
crap out of the way. Started and ran just fine. Some of his progress pics.

IMGP5944-1.jpg

20120702IMGP5948.jpg

p_01075.jpg

Cage work by Rogue Race Cars. Was their first FWD drag car job.

IMG_0490_zps88c9779a.jpg

Front coil overs that PRJ gave us designs, and Sean machined the parts and came up
with these. This is a really nice setup, as the shocks can be pulled out and replace. Instead
of tossing the whole setup away like the ones available.

IMGP6508.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Aeromotive Eliminator fuel setup. Ya I know bad choice. But hoping we have issues
under control finally with it :)

IMG_0556_zps2e977c2c.jpg

Intercooler pipes we made and had tig welded for us. Only four couplers total. Less chance
of blowing crap apart. Took a few hours to do, but I think came out nicely.

p_01143.jpg

p_01147.jpg

Upper intake is off the 3800 fbody. Using a stock L67 throttle body adapted
to fit (drill and tap a hole is all).

p_00875.jpg

Test fitting parts here. The cross over and downpipe I bought from a guy on a forum,
But they ended up not fitting worth a crap, and we ended up hacking it all up and redoing
it all. Kinda stunk, as wasted $ there. But it is what its....

p_00880.jpg

Final engine bay shot of pretty much what it looks like currently.
May change up a little bit over the winter but not much.

IMG_0765_zps97608c4d.jpg

Our last day at the track video...

Rest @ http://www.youtube.com/user/jdredd34

Sorry for the long book here, but thought maybe a few would find it interesting..
Come to find out a few guys at the track with GN's tend to have 3800 powered
beater cars and get a kick out of this turd.

Plans for 2014 is try and get into the 9's with the current engine/turbo setup.
The new transmission setup should hopefully let us get there.

So anyways, hope ya guys like it and that I didn't waste your time. :)

Very cool, welcome to the site! That is a sweet project car and you should easily get her in the 9's with the 3800 as it is a very stout motor. I actually just picked up a 2002 Buick LeSabre Custom yesterday with the series II 3800 for my daily driver. ;)

Very cool, welcome to the site! That is a sweet project car and you should easily get her in the 9's with the 3800 as it is a very stout motor. I actually just picked up a 2002 Buick LeSabre Custom yesterday with the series II 3800 for my daily driver. ;)

Thanks. I have probably been reading up on this forum since it first went up, just never posted.

I like the LeSabre.. I don't see them to often around here.. and usually when I do they are beat to hell :(

That ain't bad.
The L67 is no slouch in it's own right either.
At first - I was like ...wut the $%^&
Butafter scrolling down - I must say - The finished product looks very nice

Love it. I started on an 01 GTP coupe before I got my TR. I will always love them. Thanks for posting.

That ain't bad.

Thanks. Like to think that I am helping keep the V6 spirit going :)

Love it. I started on an 01 GTP coupe before I got my TR. I will always love them. Thanks for posting.

Probably a better choice. The motor is cheap, the transmission is where all the $$ is in. Hoping this next dance with it will finish it off finally and have everything
one can throw at one.

Thanks so much for posting! Maybe you could give us a writeup on what you're planning on doing to keep that transmission alive.

Thanks so much for posting! Maybe you could give us a writeup on what you're planning on doing to keep that transmission alive.

Some of this already exists in the transmission now. Such as GMR diff/chain... but anyways..

GMR Torsen Differential
(not my picture but same thing)
2012-08-16_20-20-59_579.jpg

GMR 1" 3.29 gear set
(not my picture)

gmrchain.jpg

Currently an Intense input shaft is being used, but swapping it out for
a GMR Aramet 1200hp input shaft. One on the right...
(not my picture)

As you can see in the picture on the bottom area, there is no o-ring groove. This causes
the TCC to not have a lockup. Some get the shaft machined, but then that weakens that
area. The new converter from Precision industries is a three disc locking converter. A
pretty big beefy unit, and probably one that some of the guys on here run as that was
brought up. The one I am getting is from what I am taking it gonna be similar but a bit
customized to fit the FWD application of things. The converter HUB will also have an
oring groove cut into it, to keep the TCC working. This solves the problem of weakening
the shaft, and putting the oring in an unstressed part.

shaft_comparison.jpg

Last year I bought a "built" transmission of a guy. Had the GMR 1" chain setup in it.
Knew it wasn't gonna last long, and I was right. Lasted one day at the track.
When PRJ had the transmission torn down he found this damage to the ISS wheel.

20130320IMGP6676_zps96173679.jpg

Also found this in the filter.. scrap and diff pin. Meaning the diff was ready to explode out the side.
The GMR diff fixes the diff pin issue... but what about the ISS? Well one could just bolt on another,
but some have issues of the 3 tiny screws that hold it on, sheer off. Some weld them on. Which
is great, but I am not welding anything to a GMR set. To hard and expensive to get a hold of.

20130322IMGP6683_zps9e4f12c0.jpg

The fix for the ISS is to use a hall effect sensor. This will pick up the teeth of the gear itself. This will now
tell the PCM what the gear ratio is again. This required to have a small amplifier to boost the
signal. Just by itself was not enough. The down side to some is to run this, you have to convert
the transmission into a 3 speed. The location of the sensor goes in where a 4th gear actuator? is
located. For me this was not a problem as the car is a drag only car, and you never want to
be in 4th anyways as there is not that many clutches and usually burn them up quickly.

IMGP6551.jpg

This required a big ass long drill bit to go through everything to make a straight perfect path.
That is the metal tube that is housing the wiring to protect it. It is close to the chain, but clears
it well enough to not worry. The pocket there on the left is where 4th gear is now killed.

IMG_00000331_zps055e6124.jpg

This is what the sensor setup looks like. This is a picture from the GM build manual.

Speed_Sensor_Mounting.jpg

If I remember right, the 1-2nd and 2-3rd accumulator is now setup to where there is no
spring pressure between the shifts, and its pretty much full line pressure applied to these
at all time.

The rest of the transmission, has your typical clutches replaced with bigger better. I could be
wrong, but I think Raybesto blues. The valve body is done up by Dave at Triple Edge. All the
sensors and what not replaced. Basic stuff. Plus the Sonnax upgrade parts that were out
at the time of the build, such as their boost valve assembly.

The next line of what is being done over the winter won't be as intensive, but still should
show improvements. Dave of Triple Edge Performance will be taking on this job.

It will be getting torn down again, and gone through. Replace anything that shows wear.
The new Sonnax billet 3rd clutch piston will be put in. It came out the same week
we picked up the transmission. Was in development for like two years.

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2593

84965-01K.jpg

The line pressure in the transmission is also being raised. Around 230psi now, not much diff
the stock. Goal is to have it over 300psi. How that is done, not sure yet how Dave will do this.

Dave is working with Precision Industries for our three disc locking converter. This converter
is similar as said before to what is available for the GN guys here. This is a much bigger converter
physically, and requires a 1/4" spacer between the motor and the transmission. Dave is in the
process of making this now.

The transbrake Dave is looking into also. GMR build manual goes on about it, and some parts,
and a few have done so. This will put some strain on things for sure, but will help with the launch.

Currently still using factory 200k mile axles. Just new grease and boots. We have the GMR
Porsche 911 adapters. The stock axles are kinda beefy from the factory, and aftermarket
chinese ones snap real easily. Usually thinner, and just bad casting/metal is used.

Not my pictures, but a set PRJ has done.

20081219IMGP2255.JPG

20091106Hub+axle+013.jpg

20100618IMGP3825.JPG

While the above setup is even much stronger then stock. There is a draw back.

1) Turning radius does take a hit. PRJ may have a fix for this by using the adapter
plates, but all different parts to bolt up.

2) You loose a cheap weak point. Axles are cheap and easy to replace. Snap one,
go oh well, put another one in, and move on. Have yet to break one. But now with
these, I loose that break point. It moves further into the transmission. Which means
the output shaft becomes my break point. The current trans build still uses a factory
output shaft and not the 300M output shaft. As if this breaks, pull the diff, and pull
the output shaft sections and replace. These most if not always break clean. But
a bit more of a pita to replace. If I replace the output shaft to a 300M, breakage
moves further and further in. So keeping the weak point on the outside is much
rather desired. So I MAYbe skipping out on the axles. Will see how it goes. If I get
a set made, they won't go in, until stock ones snap.

So anyways... Thats my 2 mini book on here. I am hoping in the next month or so
to have more pics of updates on the transmission. Towing the car to Ft Wayne, Indiana
after new years, where it will sit at Dave's shop getting work done. He will most likely
setting the 2step up also among some other trickery while it sits.

That thing is BAD A$$! It's a damned shame they didn't set that motor up for RWD.

That ain't bad.

Haha same thing here. Like most builds on these platforms I just scroll and roll my eyes. Then I saw the first few pics when I scrolled down and was like, "ok they did it right....sexy" ....followed by the video. Sounds naughty!

Haha same thing here. Like most builds on these platforms I just scroll and roll my eyes. Then I saw the first few pics when I scrolled down and was like, "ok they did it right....sexy" ....followed by the video. Sounds naughty!

Thanks :) It's a been a fun deal to play with. Never have I nor my friend Sean done anything like this.

Very nice build! There are a couple turbo gtp's on our facebook page 3.8/4.2 chat barter group. Lot of high hp supercoupes and mustang v6's also. I am interested in that turbo you mentioned. I have been hearing a lot of good stuff from some of the ebay units and was wondering is this what you are running? A friend put down 666rwhp with an on3 t67 with a fox.

Very nice build! There are a couple turbo gtp's on our facebook page 3.8/4.2 chat barter group. Lot of high hp supercoupes and mustang v6's also. I am interested in that turbo you mentioned. I have been hearing a lot of good stuff from some of the ebay units and was wondering is this what you are running? A friend put down 666rwhp with an on3 t67 with a fox.

Thanks!

I am using one from ZZP / Stattama .. http://stattama.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=detail&id=176654&product=80&pageid=29

I had mixed feelings of the China turbos. Seems like a very hit and miss with them. So I passed up and went with this. Proven
turbo build that has performed for many others.

I refer to them when I am stuck or have questions that I can't find. They are kind of the unofficial authority to the turbo 3800's.
Matt their seems to be pretty sure I can get 9's out of this. They took an Impala back a few years ago to 10.01 , and it
had small cam and stock heads, and probably not as light as I am.

Their drag car was/is pretty bad ass. http://stattama.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=browse&id=176654&pageid=53
They haven't ran it in awhile as all the 3800 competition died, but it looks like for 2014 they will be dusting it off and putting
it back on the track.

Welcome.
I'm whitet on Css. Nice to see ya over here.
What headers are those? I sold all the v8 stuff I was putting in my car. Was pondering a 3800 for it. Need recommendations on intake and headers.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Welcome.
I'm whitet on Css. Nice to see ya over here.
What headers are those? I sold all the v8 stuff I was putting in my car. Was pondering a 3800 for it. Need recommendations on intake and headers.

Yo.. I was wondering what happened to the V8 build. What made ya sell it all?

The exhaust logs are from ZZP. PLogs. Work well enough. I don't think have yet really hit a restriction with them yet to go to a true header style.
http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/Search.aspx?searchTerms=plog&submit=true

Intake wise, I am just using the upper/lower intake manifolds of a 96/97 3800 Fbody. Pre drive by wire. So the L67 TB could bolt up easily.
Just needed to open the intake a mm or so to match up nicely. Other then that, didn't bother porting the intake...

If you wanted a side intake flavor, could pickup a Holden 3800 intake. I didn't like this route for my build.

20080825IMGP2001.JPG

As for doing a 3800 swap, it seems a few have done it? Not sure of results. I would guess it would work out well. If a 3800 can
get a few guys into the 8's via FWD.. and at least two fbody's into the 8's.. then should work out ok for you all.. I think there is a dude
down in OZ that ran 7's in some super light vehicle. But never could get real details on that.

For FWD all the $ seems tired up in transmission(s).... motor itself is the cheap part.

There are a few being done. Looks like the block and stock crank are better than our stock stuff. Getting a trans adapter and headers suck. I'm debating what I'm going to do right now. I got a bad ass th400 trans and converter. Also plan on running the holley system.

I just lost interest in the v8. At the time there wasn't many ls turbo builds locally, now everyone has one lol. I will go back to being different with the 6.

There are a few being done. Looks like the block and stock crank are better than our stock stuff. Getting a trans adapter and headers suck. I'm debating what I'm going to do right now. I got a bad ass th400 trans and converter. Also plan on running the holley system.

I just lost interest in the v8. At the time there wasn't many ls turbo builds locally, now everyone has one lol. I will go back to being different with the 6.

Ya the crank is pretty stout it appears.

As for the adapter, something like this? http://transmissionadapters.com/GM 3800 series.htm

Only big problem is the head gaskets and super boost #'s... . GM gaskets prove to be pretty much the best. I don't think anyone has ever had good luck with the likes
of MLS 3 and 4 layers sealing worth a crap.

My plan for next motor, is to send it up to Mark Tischler in NJ and have him redo the block for bigger head studs, extra bolt holes for the heads to seal better,
and O Ring it. Then should be able to take a lot more abuse :)

This is what PRJ had done for one...

20100609IMGP3685.JPG

Added bolts on the bottom there.. Not sure if did the bolts inside between the cylinders
or not.

I've debated on going full tubular headers, but waiting on that. Once I go to the PT7168, I'll go totally different on the whole exhaust side of things.

Also, I've been surprised how well the stock PCM hardware has worked out.
PCM edits, not a lot has really been changed. With the M90 setup it seemed you
have to edit every little table to get the max out of it, and with the turbo setup,
it takes so much better with out having to go to the extreme of editing.

Last edited: