Turbine housing

TOOMANYTOYS

When I first bought my car the steering was all over the place. I had to oversteer constantly in order to go straight. I replaced the steering box and it was better but still not right. Then I put a Jeep steering shaft in and there was improvement but I still had to constantly go from the 11:00 position to the 1:00 position in order to go straight. My final piece was the center link. It had a lot of play at the joints ( tie rods are new so this was the last thing). Now the car is like it should be except my steering wheel is at the 2:00 position when driving straight. The car doesn’t pull either direction. Arrow straight but with a crooked wheel. I took the pitman arm off and turned the wheel and reinstalled the arm. Problem is ever time I do this the wheel goes back to the same position. What gives?

I have the same problem put in Kirbans tried to get it straight but now at 1:00
If you have an alignment done it can be corrected my problem I just put new rims on and I don't want any marks
Might put old rims on and have it done
Had the same problem with 2000 Silverado from the factory

About 12 years ago the steering wheel loosened up because of the 4 small bolts about halfway down the column came loose for the tilt. Rather than have to buy some tools to use only once first called a pretty good mechanic who has done this a number of times. $75 later it was tight but the steering wheel now was off center at 1:30 or so. Been fine but it is annoying having it like that.

About 12 years ago the steering wheel loosened up because of the 4 small bolts about halfway down the column came loose for the tilt. Rather than have to buy some tools to use only once first called a pretty good mechanic who has done this a number of times. $75 later it was tight but the steering wheel now was off center at 1:30 or so. Been fine but it is annoying having it like that.
Tightening the 4 screws on the tilt, didn't cause the wheel to be off location.

Screwing around trying to clock the pitman arm will only mess with the rt to left steer angles. Depending on which way you try to move the arm.
The gear box has a "high center point". The box has to be centered, then the wheels are adjusted via the tie rod ends.
Also, the steering shaft has a hash mark on the the threaded end,
to indicate "straight up".
Unless of course, the wheel is turned 1 full turn. :rolleyes:

I'd get the wheels straight (steering wheel at the 2:00 position) disconnect the steering shaft from the box, turn it until the wheel is straight and reconnect the steering shaft.

The steering shaft can only go on o e way. There is a flat side on the input shaft that matches the coupling on the steering shaft

We bought a used 86 a year ago or so and our steering was all over the place as well. We have adjusted the steering box a handful of times in small increments each way and it still stinks. We have new wheels and tires, wheels have been aligned, tie rods in good shape, put in new power steering pump a while back due to a small leak, that made no difference in the feel. Our 87 with 110,000 miles feels smooth as silk and like a new car compared to our 86 which is either stiff and drifts and you have to over correct or too loose with slop all over the place. We cannot visually see anything off within the column. We know the former owner had coils which lowered the car, we put in different ones to raise it back up to standard height. Still no help. Other than putting in a new steering box, is there anything else we are missing? This is a real safety issue as well because I feel like if we take our eye off the road for a second we will end up in a ditch or worse. Thank you

You said new wheels and tires and alignment.
1 is the new wheel stock offset?
2 tire size ?
3 what was the caster set at ?
Caster is the key to get it not to wonder , offset and camber make it a little strange too
Actually what was the caster,camber and tie set?

Update:
Tire Size 215/65/15
No wheel spacers

This issue was there with the old, smaller TA Radials and stock rims as well as the newer tires and rims before we changed back to stock size coils. I have discovered something I should have checked from the start, and that was comparing my stock 87 to the acquired 86. Today I grabbed the section of the lower steering shaft with right and left hand and tried to move each, in both directions. There was zero movement on the 87. I then tried the 86 and both sections moved with the upper section closest to the firewall moving quite a bit. So, we may have found our issue but this will not be confirmed until I purchase the lower arm and perhaps the bushings since I will be in this area and only want to take this on and off one time. I have spent far too many hours at the other end of the steering column for my liking so this time I hope to be more proactive and get all done in this area at one time. My back cannot take bending over this area too long as it is.

Since my last post on this subject we have changed everything except for the steering gear box. It is the only thing left that could possibly explain the "less than optimal" steering. The wheel turns just a bit stiff (like the power steering is not really 100% power steering), here and there the car will drift some. It is better at high speeds on the highway than it is at lower speeds on a road requiring a lot of turning. It is not horrible, but it is just not right either and not something we can live with.

Anyone have a brand/model they have had luck with in the aftermarket world or have one for sale? Prefer an AC Delco if we can find one. I saw a couple of models with Summit Racing. Thanks for any suggestions.

GN s have a 2.5 lock to lock. I believe Highway Stars have the correct one .Kirban should too. Most big cities have someone the can rebuild yours if it a OEM. ( you want yours back not a exchange) There more to it than the 2.5 turns , there’s a rod that controls the feedback you fill in the wheel. I don’t want Cadillac feedback or Corvette in my GN. You can get everything in between the wheel and box. Some prefer the Jeep shaft, I can see the upside but I like the rage joint in my GN

GNS has a bad ass steering box. I would install that and the steering shaft they sell. I went with an astro van shaft and upper bearing kit from kirbans

We bought the car in 2019, it had multiple owners, history unknown other than we know they lowered it with shorter springs and smaller front tires. We raised it back up to original height. How can we tell if the steering box in the car is a GN factory unit? I have two GNs..my 87 I bought new and steering is great. This 86 is not nearly the same feel although the boxes look the same from the outside from what can be seen. I know what it should feel like.
I have bought things from both Highway Stars and Kirbans.