Tuning Timing with Casper's Cap

edmonds27

Here's one for the turbo6 team:
I have a Casper's adjustable cam position sensor cap. I have a Comp Cams 206/206 425/425 which is just a step or two bigger than stock. The Casper's cap allows 25 degrees in each direction from the factory set 25 degrees ATDC. My question is which way would I want to tweak for the bigger cam: back toward 0 or up past the 25? OR I'm I wasting my time trying to tweak the timing without a scan tool? (don't have one yet)

Here's one for the turbo6 team:
I have a Casper's adjustable cam position sensor cap. I have a Comp Cams 206/206 425/425 which is just a step or two bigger than stock. The Casper's cap allows 25 degrees in each direction from the factory set 25 degrees ATDC. My question is which way would I want to tweak for the bigger cam: back toward 0 or up past the 25? OR I'm I wasting my time trying to tweak the timing without a scan tool? (don't have one yet)

You are wasting your time... period... scan tool or not... (why would you not have a scan tool??? :confused:) read this... well explained...

FAQ-Buick Turbo Regal Chips - Thrasher Engineered Performance

read #23-25 for your question...

read it all for your general education.... oldie but a goodie... very correct and very enlightening... :wink:

This should be a freakin' sticky!!! Would answer ALOT of newbie questions....

Ditto on the scanmaster

But it's best to set the Cam sensor and tweak the timing in the chip

The adjustment on the cam cap allows for some reduction in off-idle stumble caused by the degree of offset on the camshaft; some aftermarket cam shafts retard a bit, and since the injection is sequential, it gets the fuel spray a bit earlier into the port, to prevent the "lag" from gulping air before the fuel spray.

Because the cam position sensor initiates the sequence of the sequential fueling, its timing is fairly critical for smooth acceleration to happen.