Tuning Help

Highest knock (14.1 degrees) at 55mph (2nd gear) and no tire spin.
Please see attached screenshot from my log.

This screen shot of the log shows tire spin. Note the bump and drop of vehicle speed at the time of knock. Could there also be real knock, at that boost, yes, there could also be real knock.

Check the spark plugs for signs of real knock.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Highest knock (14.1 degrees) at 55mph (2nd gear) and no tire spin.
Please see attached screenshot from my log.
Powerlogger_Highest_Knock_Frame_20190403.JPG

What is the Fuel Pressure at idle, vacuum line off, line on? 43 psi line off, 40 psi line on

For that to be correct, you'd have to be idling at 6" of vacuum. What is your vacuum at idle (and was it that low when you first busted the engine off?)

Fresh engine and nobodys asked if it has a flat tappet cam....

The bottom line is this. If your fuel system is up to the task...and you had Eric burn your chip for your exact combination and you told Eric what your max boost is...cuz that's how he sets his high gear fuel...then you should be able to go WOT up to 23 PSI with Julios alky kit on his default setting on the blue knob with zero KR.

Check the back of your chip and find out how much fuel Eric put in it. What did you tell him your max boost would be? And why are you running 100 octane? What octane did Eric burn it for?

Eric burned the chip for the previous owner. I have changed nothing except the rebuilt motor since I purchased the car. I believe the max boost for which Eric burned the chip was 25 psi. But I will verify with previous owner. The back of my chip doesn't say anything about fuel, as far as I can tell. Pic of chip attached. I wanted to be conservative...that is the reason for 100 octane fuel. Eric burned the chip for 93 octane.

Thank you so much for the feedback.
20180624_160225.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This screen shot of the log shows tire spin. Note the bump and drop of vehicle speed at the time of knock. Could there also be real knock, at that boost, yes, there could also be real knock.

Check the spark plugs for signs of real knock.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Ok, thank you. I will check the spark plugs.

For that to be correct, you'd have to be idling at 6" of vacuum. What is your vacuum at idle (and was it that low when you first busted the engine off?)

Fresh engine and nobodys asked if it has a flat tappet cam....

I honestly don't know my vacuum at idle. How do I check vacuum at idle. Please excuse my ignorance. Still learning. I don't know what the vacuum was when I blew the old engine.

Roller cam installed. Comp Cam 212/212

The bottom line is this. If your fuel system is up to the task...and you had Eric burn your chip for your exact combination and you told Eric what your max boost is...cuz that's how he sets his high gear fuel...then you should be able to go WOT up to 23 PSI with Julios alky kit on his default setting on the blue knob with zero KR.

Check the back of your chip and find out how much fuel Eric put in it. What did you tell him your max boost would be? And why are you running 100 octane? What octane did Eric burn it for?

Just fyi...I am running a 6466 turbo.

I asked Eric about the chip and he responded with the following....

"the chip was made for a 60-1 turbo, not the 6466. So it would need more base wot fuel. However, since this is a wideband chip, it would have added fuel to achieve whatever AFR you commanded in the parameters. It’s not set up for a specific boost level. The base fueling was setup up for mid-upper 10’s for ¼ mile."

Hope this helps. Thanks.

I went back and looked at my log again for the above frame...I pulled up the TPS. At the time of the knock shown, I immediately let off the accelerator because of the knock. This tells me the bump on the chart under "Vehicle Speed" is not tire spin. Do you agree?
Please see areas circled in blue.
No. Look at your engine rpm. Your rpm spikes up when the tires broke loose then you let go of the throttle. That is tire spin. Besides..your vehicle speed would drop not increase if you let go of the throttle.

No. Look at your engine rpm. Your rpm spikes up when the tires broke loose then you let go of the throttle. That is tire spin. Besides..your vehicle speed would drop not increase if you let go of the throttle.
Oh, ok. I see what you mean. Good point. Thank you.

Ok guys, sorry it took a while, but I was finally able to record another Powerlogger log the other day.

I was able to get a few good pulls in 3rd gear as TurboBuRick suggested above.

I have attached the log.

Please see frame # 13895...I was cruising at about 50 mph...I put the car in neutral.....revved the engine to about 4300 rpm....and I received 14 degrees of knock. The knock sensor is obviously hearing something in the valvetrain.

The clean 3rd gear pulls are located at the following frames: # 14251 and # 16081

Please also look at frame # 16110....why would the AFR suddenly jump from 10.7 to 13.0 while the O2 Volts never drop below 0.790 volts?

Also, you can see several times in the log where I am just idling (sitting at a light or foot completely off the pedal) and the AFR rises to about 18.0. Why would it do this? Vacuum leak?

100 octane fuel, alky turned down to level "4" on the dial, timing is set at 18 deg for 1st/2nd gear and 16 deg for 3rd/4th gear.

Please let me know your thoughts. Any ideas and recommendations are appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190517_Cruise.dat
    4 MB · Views: 18
The knock looks false to me. Make sure your knock sensor is torqued right and does NOT have teflon tape or any other sealer on it. The threads need to grond to the block.

How old is the alky pump? Have you tested it?

Do another short recording. 50mph to 80 or so. Put the throttle all the way down and hold it to the floor.

The knock looks false to me. Make sure your knock sensor is torqued right and does NOT have teflon tape or any other sealer on it. The threads need to grond to the block.

How old is the alky pump? Have you tested it?

Do another short recording. 50mph to 80 or so. Put the throttle all the way down and hold it to the floor.
Thank you very much Rick!

The knock sensor is torqued to 14 ft-lbs.

It does not have teflon tape or any other sealer on it.

The alky pump is about 4-5 years old. I have it set on "6" on the dial. While idling, I can press the "Test" button for 1-2 seconds and the AFR (on the wideband) goes from about 13.5 down to 10.5 pretty quick and the engine almost dies. So I assume it is spraying well.

Is there a certain way to test the alky pump other than the method above?

Sometime this week, I will record a pull from 50 mph - 80 mph with the pedal all the way to the floor and post the log.

Thanks again!